Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:41 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,398,977 times

Advertisements

In ground pool. Went out to sweep the parts where the scrubber doesn’t reach as usual, but it’s like overnight the dirt became etched into the concrete/coating. Also happened in areas where the scrubber goes over daily.

I scrubbed hard with the broom but it won’t come off. What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 10:58 AM

497 posts, read 487,664 times
Assuming you have a plaster pool I would say calcium buildup or "dirt scale". Where a fine layer of calcium deposited over the dirt. The easiest way would be to lower your PH to help dissolve some of the scale. I would gradually lower it over a few days and brush the spots every day, maybe twice a day. Make sure you have some sodium bicarbonate on hand to get the PH back to normal. Too low for too long will cause damage. If the brushing doesn't work you can try something called a pool eraser Stain Eraser For Calcium, Rust and Mineral Stains-in the Swim. Otherwise, if the stains are too set in you'll need a drain and acid wash. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:27 AM

39,131 posts, read 51,428,209 times
Time for an acid wash. Calcium deposits are being discolored by the dust. Actually it's too late for an acid wash as it is not a good idea to drain the pool once the weather warms up.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Time for an acid wash. Calcium deposits are being discolored by the dust. Actually it's too late for an acid wash as it is not a good idea to drain the pool once the weather warms up.
I'd suggest contacting a water treatment service, such as the one below. I have no personal affiliation but find this treatment to be a better option, both for saving water and having the flexibility to treat even during the hot months. I believe they can treat water any time of year and there is no down time.

Monarch Pool Service

Old 05-06-2018, 01:10 PM

107 posts, read 203,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd suggest contacting a water treatment service, such as the one below. I have no personal affiliation but find this treatment to be a better option, both for saving water and having the flexibility to treat even during the hot months. I believe they can treat water any time of year and there is no down time.

Monarch Pool Service
I had that done, because we have well water and the cost to truck in new water was about the same as the cost to have it treated. After the overnight treatment, you're basically back to brand new water, probably cleaner than what you'd get filling from the hose. (He lowers calcium to around 200ppm, then stops; he told me that any lower than that and you start to leach calcium out of the concrete, or mortar, or something.)

Anyway, very knowledgeable, friendly guy, and the treatment worked as advertised.

The only caveats I'd mention are that the trailer has a generator, and it has to be parked near a gate going back to the pool (so the hoses can lay on the ground). If you have an animal that's kept in your yard by the gate, make plans for that, and if you have neighbors who are close to that side of your house, they'll have to close their windows that night due to the generator noise.

Edit: having said all that, I don't know that clean water is going to help any with the entrapped dirt. I just wanted to echo that the water treatment service is a good option for cleaning up the water.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,747,334 times
How about a pumice stick?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
I had that done, because we have well water and the cost to truck in new water was about the same as the cost to have it treated. After the overnight treatment, you're basically back to brand new water, probably cleaner than what you'd get filling from the hose. (He lowers calcium to around 200ppm, then stops; he told me that any lower than that and you start to leach calcium out of the concrete, or mortar, or something.)

Anyway, very knowledgeable, friendly guy, and the treatment worked as advertised.

The only caveats I'd mention are that the trailer has a generator, and it has to be parked near a gate going back to the pool (so the hoses can lay on the ground). If you have an animal that's kept in your yard by the gate, make plans for that, and if you have neighbors who are close to that side of your house, they'll have to close their windows that night due to the generator noise.

Edit: having said all that, I don't know that clean water is going to help any with the entrapped dirt. I just wanted to echo that the water treatment service is a good option for cleaning up the water.
The problem I’ve had in the past is dissolvable solids are so high that the acid and chlorine is no longer effective, this type of water treatment allows the chemicals to be effective again and once completed the algae built up on the surfaces disappeared, I dont know if my situation is the same as what the OP has though, I’m sure these guys will have all the answers and at this point in the season I’d assume it’s the best remaining option.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:58 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,398,977 times
Is this something that should have been prevented by the pool guy?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Is this something that should have been prevented by the pool guy?
If you treat it once a year by a guy like monarch you can avoid the hardness buildup that makes the chemicals ineffective. Otherwise you have to drain it every other year or so depending on the tap water quality at your house.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM

186 posts, read 196,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post

Do you mind if I ask what the treatment cost and the gallon size of your pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: