Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,563 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the valley since for almost 10 years now and am curious is there a consensus area where young professional people live and/or own houses? I realize Phoenix is basically a huge sprawling suburb unlike many other large metros, but I have yet to find a concentrated area of young (30's) people who have semi-professional jobs.

I've lived in Old Town, which had a great social scene if you're in your 20s, and then moved to east Chandler for a while (mostly retirees or soon-to-be). I currently live in west chandler, which seems about the same in terms of mostly retirees or older families that have lived there for 20+ years. While house hunting last year, I looked in Scottsdale and Phoenix/Arcadia, but I don't understand how anyone in their 20s/30s can afford to buy a house for 500-600k+? I have a pretty decent tech job, but those areas were just out of my budget and I don't want to live in a condo.

Anyone else as perplexed as I am? A handful of my friends have moved out of state for better jobs, which I guess isn't uncommon, but where do "young professional" people settle down after living their 20s in old town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,019 times
im in the exact same boat. I just moved here but maybe tempe is what you're looking for.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob122480 View Post
I've lived in the valley since for almost 10 years now and am curious is there a consensus area where young professional people live and/or own houses? I realize Phoenix is basically a huge sprawling suburb unlike many other large metros, but I have yet to find a concentrated area of young (30's) people who have semi-professional jobs.

I've lived in Old Town, which had a great social scene if you're in your 20s, and then moved to east Chandler for a while (mostly retirees or soon-to-be). I currently live in west chandler, which seems about the same in terms of mostly retirees or older families that have lived there for 20+ years. While house hunting last year, I looked in Scottsdale and Phoenix/Arcadia, but I don't understand how anyone in their 20s/30s can afford to buy a house for 500-600k+? I have a pretty decent tech job, but those areas were just out of my budget and I don't want to live in a condo.

Anyone else as perplexed as I am? A handful of my friends have moved out of state for better jobs, which I guess isn't uncommon, but where do "young professional" people settle down after living their 20s in old town?
I'm in the South Chandler area and don't have many "older"/near retirement folks around me. The houses in my area largely range between $550k-$900k, so it's really a move up/family area. Lots of people in the 35-45 range with the occasional outlier of an older wealthy couple using it as their second home. West Chandler has a lot more of the sub $350k starter home type properties fit for younger professionals, I don't think your experience has been typical of who lives in the area.

There are younger professionals all over the valley but probably more concentrated around the East 101 corridor and of course Central-East Phoenix.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Downtown to Midtown, if you’re OK with a smaller home. Parts of 85016 are still attainable for those early in their careers. 85018 may now be out of the question for those now.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Old Town Scottsdale, parts of Chandler, midtown Phoenix, Camelback East, and Arcadia are a few areas with quite a few young professionals. I live in Camelback East, right near the Biltmore neighborhood, and my neighbors come in all shapes & sizes, including quite a few white collar professionals who fit under the category of DINKs (dual income, no kids).

Old 05-17-2018, 03:10 PM

90 posts, read 113,108 times
My husband and I don't have kids (we are 27). We live in the Northwest Valley because the commute is better for me and because the housing is more affordable.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Your question only serves to start me thinking about a lot of other questions. First what type of home are you looking for? How much space do you need? Where do you work? How far are you willing to commute? And probably the most important what is your budget?

A lot of young professionals like the inner city. North Encanto, Midtown, Camelback East, etc..

If you want more suburban, newer homes, Gilbert is popular. It has a great downtown.

Depending on budget, even Scottsdale could work. You don't need to spend $500K.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob122480 View Post

A lot of the valley is sprawling but there's a few very specific areas where density is adding up at a really rapid pace and that's exactly where young professionals are concentrated. The impact the millennials have had on Phoenix is pretty obvious to me, just look at where all the cranes are in the valley: downtown Phoenix, uptown Phoenix, central Phoenix between the 7's, downtown Tempe and other infill areas like Biltmore and Old Town. I don't see Chandler or Arcadia attracting many young professionals, young families yes but not DINKS, they're looking for walk-able areas.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 PM

656 posts, read 813,176 times
Maybe Uptown / Camelback Corridor area, closer to Central?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area