Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:56 PM

444 posts, read 321,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catosmato View Post
I agree, the Obama plans DID NOT allow insurance companies to charge you higher premium rates or deny you coverage for any pre-existing conditions.

If that ends, those with pre-existing conditions will be totally gauged by the insurance companies with premiums through the roof. Or, you may not even be able to get insurance as they will again as pre-Obama plans, be allowed to simply deny you coverage.

Something to think about.
Unfortunately it was also about redistribution of wealth, with a one size fits all approach to healthcare. Look at how many large health insurance companies dropped out of the Obamacare market which certainly impacted AZ, leaving to an over 100% increase in the premiums on average in 2017 due to limited competition. If you are not getting a subsidy for Obamacare in AZ, good luck in finding affordable coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 PM

221 posts, read 192,742 times
There are two main utilities. They operate under seasonal pricing schedules. Low, high and peak demand. When energy is needed the most, the rate is practically double. Several plans to lower your bill are options and each will cost you a bit of comfort. This trade off isn't bad.

AZ will allow residents to use a PO Box on a drivers license. True when I did so four years ago. Upon arrival ask folks in your community about red light cameras. Will be interesting as educational.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:00 PM

567 posts, read 787,410 times
Per termites...
I've lived here since '73, and I've NEVER had termites.
I have brain damage, and even if you were to find termites, use heat to kill them or some other safer alternatives to pesticides. Keep her environment as chemically clean as possible.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Per termites...
I've lived here since '73, and I've NEVER had termites.
I have brain damage, and even if you were to find termites, use heat to kill them or some other safer alternatives to pesticides. Keep her environment as chemically clean as possible.
Sorry, won't work.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM

421 posts, read 390,798 times
We didn't get any subsidies for our health insurance.... too much income and too much income even in retirement with our pensions, social security, etc.

As far as residency, if I maintain an Iowa address as well as our retirement address here but maintain resident status in Iowa and the following applies to us below as retirees I hope to limit my need for an AZ ACA plan to August through October 2020.

You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work). (no not us, retirees)
You are registered to vote in Arizona. (We don't need to register here I could still vote absentee in Iowa)
You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident. (they are in their 30s)
You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state. (no)
You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.(no)
You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona. (no)
You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence. (The calendar year would be an issue after 2020, as we would be moving October, 2019, basically 7 months would be August 1, 2020. I would be medicare eligible November 1, 2020. So it looks like I would hopefully get ACA for 3 months??? I hope, then I can handle a $1,400 health insurance premium for a few months for just myself.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:02 PM

444 posts, read 321,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
We didn't get any subsidies for our health insurance.... too much income and too much income even in retirement with our pensions, social security, etc.

As far as residency, if I maintain an Iowa address as well as our retirement address here but maintain resident status in Iowa and the following applies to us below as retirees I hope to limit my need for an AZ ACA plan to August through October 2020.
If you are moving to AZ in late 2019, you may want to get health insurance in AZ for 2020. If you enroll in a marketplace healthcare plan (or whatever replaces it) for more than 6 months in Iowa within 2020, Iowa may want to consider you to be a resident with the Iowa address you are going to use. Iowa seems to have significantly higher state tax rates than AZ, maybe this could help you if AZ healthcare is significantly higher than the IA healthcare rate- https://taxfoundation.org/state-indi...brackets-2017/
I live in CA now but don't plan to have CA healthcare for more than 6 months in the year I go on Medicare since I should live in AZ for more than the last 7 months of that year. You may want to check with an accountant in Iowa to see how they look at state residency laws. Currently Maricopa county has better rates for Obamacare than a lot of the other smaller AZ counties but it certainly isn't cheap.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:49 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post

You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work). (no not us, retirees)
You are registered to vote in Arizona. (We don't need to register here I could still vote absentee in Iowa)
You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident. (they are in their 30s)
You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state. (no)
You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.(no)
You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona. (no)
You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence. (The calendar year would be an issue after 2020, as we would be moving October, 2019, basically 7 months would be August 1, 2020. I would be medicare eligible November 1, 2020. So it looks like I would hopefully get ACA for 3 months??? I hope, then I can handle a $1,400 health insurance premium for a few months for just myself.
Be very careful about one detail. Make sure your Iowa ACA plan is portable to AZ when you are staying here. A couple years ago, I had BCBS of MN. BCBS worked in MN and in AZ. But 2017 was the last year it worked that way. Meaning, if I need to go to a doctor in AZ (or wherever state), as of 2018, I'm out of network. Basically the deductibles and co-pays are now extremely high when out of state and living 6 months in AZ (or any other state). As a matter of fact, we have 5 choices for ACA (self employed) planes in MN. None of them allow you to freely go to an out of state doctor or hospital. Those days are behind us. So while I'm in AZ for 6 months, I either have to sustain from going to the doctor / hospital or expect to pay though the nose in deductibles and co-pays.

A lot of words to say my rates went up again with even worse healthcare coverage than before. So for people wanting to game the system by getting cheaper or better insurance from another state while living in AZ might be surprised if they have to use healthcare out of state.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Be very careful about one detail. Make sure your Iowa ACA plan is portable to AZ when you are staying here. A couple years ago, I had BCBS of MN. BCBS worked in MN and in AZ. But 2017 was the last year it worked that way. Meaning, if I need to go to a doctor in AZ (or wherever state), as of 2018, I'm out of network. Basically the deductibles and co-pays are now extremely high when out of state and living 6 months in AZ (or any other state). As a matter of fact, we have 5 choices for ACA (self employed) planes in MN. None of them allow you to freely go to an out of state doctor or hospital. Those days are behind us. So while I'm in AZ for 6 months, I either have to sustain from going to the doctor / hospital or expect to pay though the nose in deductibles and co-pays.

A lot of words to say my rates went up again with even worse healthcare coverage than before. So for people wanting to game the system by getting cheaper or better insurance from another state while living in AZ might be surprised if they have to use healthcare out of state.
And that your plan considers any services in AZ as "in network" as they probably won't which means you'll pay through the nose. Of course you could always go to Mexico and roll the dice...

Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I had the same issue with BCBS of Illinois when we moved here; you are NOT covered in other states...
even though I was paying 1100 a month for pure KRAP coverage with super high deductables

Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 AM

421 posts, read 390,798 times
Technically the current plan I have in Iowa is a Grandmothered plan and not a full blown ACA plan. This plan was allowed in 2013 when I went from my retiree school district plan to my individual plan but BEFORE actual ACA plans kicked in during 2014. So it doesn't follow quite the same rules as an ACA plan. I would be out of network EXCEPT for emergencies in AZ during those months. It is still something to consider and I may just be more comfortable moving to an AZ ACA plan on January 1, 2020.

I was considering staying in Iowa until October 2020 and avoid this issue. But then again, I am not sure my grandmothered plan will continue to be issued into 2020 either. It's difficult to plan with health insurance..... My wife, as unlucky as she is with her cancer, at least has geographic mobility with original Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area