Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Dew point has nothing to do with it. A monsoon is a seasonal wind shift. It could be dry and still be a monsoon. The pattern that is over us right now is consistent with the North American Monsoon. As I said above, there would be no remnants over us if we did not have a monsoon pattern in effect.
A monsoon is a long-term, seasonal change in wind patterns, drawing up the moisture required to fuel the storms for months on end. This isn't a monsoon (even though the weather pattern might look like it) because the days right after our forecasted rain are dry as a bone and typical of June weather here in the low desert. A rogue change in wind patterns for a day or two is not nearly long enough to categorize this as a monsoonal storm. In order for it to be a true monsoon, it has to be a long term, seasonal shift. Get it? Got it? Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 02:08 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
A monsoon is a long-term, seasonal change in wind patterns, drawing up the moisture required to fuel the storms for months on end. This isn't a monsoon (even though the weather pattern might look like it) because the days right after our forecasted rain are dry as a bone and typical of June weather here in the low desert. A rogue change in wind patterns for a day or two is not nearly long enough to categorize this as a monsoonal storm. In order for it to be a true monsoon, it has to be a long term, seasonal shift. Get it? Got it? Good.
There is more to it than a rogue change, but I'm not going argue with you about it. Things like sub-tropical high, thermal low, Sierra Madre wind flows, etc are not things that you understand, so there would be no point. It just rained .05 inches at my cabin on the rim. Enjoy it.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM

848 posts, read 968,198 times
Neither here nor there on the lower temperature other than it'd be kinda nice I guess. What I'm really not looking forward to is the humidity unless I get the trade-off that my water can actually be cold again in the shower while the monsoon is around (since the builder was too cheap to bury the pipes deep enough. Who the hell does that? Someone who isn't going to live there, that's who).

Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
There is more to it than a rogue change, but I'm not going argue with you about it. Things like sub-tropical high, thermal low, Sierra Madre wind flows, etc are not things that you understand, so there would be no point. It just rained .05 inches at my cabin on the rim. Enjoy it.
That’s great news to hear, .05 is what it is but a clear indication that the season for rain is upon us early this year.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That’s great news to hear, .05 is what it is but a clear indication that the season for rain is upon us early this year.
The lightning started about half a dozen fires on the rim. Can't win this year. Hopefully the whole thing does not peter out before some rains give us relief, but it is beginning to look that way.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Neither here nor there on the lower temperature other than it'd be kinda nice I guess. What I'm really not looking forward to is the humidity unless I get the trade-off that my water can actually be cold again in the shower while the monsoon is around (since the builder was too cheap to bury the pipes deep enough. Who the hell does that? Someone who isn't going to live there, that's who).
Very typical for Phoenix. I look at it as a chance to turn down the temp on my water heater saving energy ad money! I won't have cold water out of the tap again until November.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 AM

848 posts, read 968,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Very typical for Phoenix. I look at it as a chance to turn down the temp on my water heater saving energy ad money! I won't have cold water out of the tap again until November.

The thing is, I bet the houses they build for themselves are on point though, in every aspect. Because then they're going to live in it and they don't want it to suck. Not going to live in it == don't care.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its not monsoonal. The dewpoint has to register a certain degree for a certain amount of days for monsoon season to officially kick off. This is just storm remnants. That is all.

Not true, any more. They used to use dew point over 55 for three days in a row as the start of the season, but NWS has changed its way of designating start of season. It's June 15, regardless of dew point. There's a set end date, too, which I believe is Sept 15, but I'm not positive of that.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
The lightning started about half a dozen fires on the rim. Can't win this year. Hopefully the whole thing does not peter out before some rains give us relief, but it is beginning to look that way.
I actually saw quite a few fires still smoldering along the 277 near the 377 this last week. It was pretty bad near Heber as well.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not true, any more. They used to use dew point over 55 for three days in a row as the start of the season, but NWS has changed its way of designating start of season. It's June 15, regardless of dew point. There's a set end date, too, which I believe is Sept 15, but I'm not positive of that.
It's all kind of arbitrary. If you use dewpoint then you emphasize sensible (what you feel) conditions. If you use dates, then you pick a "season" sort of like saying summer doesn't start here till for several more days. If you look at weather charts and models then its a meteorologic approach. For others it's when the cicadas sing. Whatever makes one happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area