Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times

Advertisements

I live in New Jersey and just like anywhere, we have our occasional summer heatwaves. Two weeks ago, we had weather in the mid and upper 90s. One day was 95 and one day was 97 (I had experienced 100 degree weather in NJ before when I was little). I checked the weather channel on those days and it said the humidity percentage was in the lower 40s. When I was outside, the weather was more comfortable than a typical NJ summer day. I felt mostly the sun and when I was under the shade, it was cooler with no sun heat or humidity chasing after you. The weather still was not perfectly comfortable, because humidity levels in the 40s are not comfortable enough for a temperature that high. I learned in a physics course that you can actually feel comfortable at 100 degrees as long as the air is super dry. I check Phoenix's weather sometimes and the humidity levels are obviously way lower than what you get back East. The humidity in Phoenix mainly shows in the single digits and the tens.

I noticed that when NJ gets heatwaves, the weather has more of a desert feeling. The humidity percentage levels are usually in the 30s or 40s.

Did I get an AZ summer weather feeling on that day?

I'd prefer the dryish NJ heatwaves over the typical 80 degree humid days we get in NJ. It's much more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 03:19 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Not even close; those temps would be perfect summer temps but that would be a very cool June in the Phoenix metro. Phoenix sees 110 days on average of 100+ degree weather including a solid 2 weeks in June where we are nearly or over 105. As for the humidity, check back during the summer storms and it will be 30%+ easy, if we get any actual rain.

I did spend my everning out back grilling and hanging out so it isn't that bad out, for a native.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Your "hot" day would be our cool days in summer, believe it or not. Ive seen temps hotter than your daytime high was... at Midnight! In June its dry here, with single digit humidity, but searing temps don't do much to help it feel good. When its 110-120 degrees outside, its just miserable. Then in July, August, and September, we get temps from 100-110 coupled with 30-40% humidity, with humidity as high as 70% in the morning. Don't let anyone tell you its a "dry heat" because the majority of our summer isn't really dry with the onset of monsoon season. Mornings and evenings are horribly sticky, and still hot, but by afternoon the majority of the humidity burns off, but you can still feel it.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Not even close; those temps would be perfect summer temps but that would be a very cool June in the Phoenix metro. Phoenix sees 110 days on average of 100+ degree weather including a solid 2 weeks in June where we are nearly or over 105. As for the humidity, check back during the summer storms and it will be 30%+ easy, if we get any actual rain.

I did spend my everning out back grilling and hanging out so it isn't that bad out, for a native.
I assume the humidity would obviously be higher than usual when a rainstorm comes.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Your "hot" day would be our cool days in summer, believe it or not. Ive seen temps hotter than your daytime high was... at Midnight! In June its dry here, with single digit humidity, but searing temps don't do much to help it feel good. When its 110-120 degrees outside, its just miserable. Then in July, August, and September, we get temps from 100-110 coupled with 30-40% humidity, with humidity as high as 70% in the morning.
People said nighttime temperatures are usually pleasant in Phoenix Metro's summers. Besides being miserable in 110-120 degrees, I am more worried about dying and my skin turning black. I have medium brown skin due to being Indian, but I don't wanna get darker! It would actually be dangerous for people with pale skin who get sunburn.

Quote:
Don't let anyone tell you its a "dry heat" because the majority of our summer isn't really dry with the onset of monsoon season. Mornings and evenings are horribly sticky, and still hot, but by afternoon the majority of the humidity burns off, but you can still feel it.
It's so cliche to heat people say, "It's a desert, so the heat will be comfortable and really dry at 110 degrees!"

Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
People said nighttime temperatures are usually pleasant in Phoenix Metro's summers. Besides being miserable in 110-120 degrees, I am more worried about dying and my skin turning black. I have medium brown skin due to being Indian, but I don't wanna get darker! It would actually be dangerous for people with pale skin who get sunburn.

It's so cliche to heat people say, "It's a desert, so the heat will be comfortable and really dry at 110 degrees!"
Nighttime temps are comfortable starting very late September, into October even, when the air dries out and the temps actually cool down a bit. Last night it was still over 100 degrees at 8 PM when I walked to the store. I was sweatin buckets. The sun here is super intense. I did a test once and put a thermometer in the shade on a 115 degree day, where it read exactly 115. I put it in the sun and it pegged at 140. It might have been hotter than that, but my thermometer has a peg that stops the needle.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:

First, it RARELY gets as hot as 120. 110 yes, is fairly common.

Second, you very likely will not die from the heat as long as you have access to AC.

If you don't want darker skin, stay indoors as much as you can, stay in the shade, use sunscreen, wear clothing that has UV protection.

I find that a lot of people are okay with up to 110, but 110 and over is where it's getting too hot to be comfortable. The dry air really does make a difference. It was 10-something (maybe 106?) yesterday and I was in my pool. There was a light breeze and I was CHILLY. yes, really.

Phoenix has AC, misting systems and shade outdoors in many places, pools, lakes, and a short drive to the north where it's cooler. We aren't all just standing out and frying in the sun

As for your original question as to whether what you experienced in NJ is the same? No. The intensity of the sun is MUCH greater here. After my first trip to the desert, I described it like this. In other parts of the country, the sun is like a flashlight. In the desert, it is like a flashlight shining RIGHT IN YOUR EYE.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what is tolerable to you.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Your "hot" day would be our cool days in summer, believe it or not. Ive seen temps hotter than your daytime high was... at Midnight! In June its dry here, with single digit humidity, but searing temps don't do much to help it feel good. When its 110-120 degrees outside, its just miserable. Then in July, August, and September, we get temps from 100-110 coupled with 30-40% humidity, with humidity as high as 70% in the morning. Don't let anyone tell you its a "dry heat" because the majority of our summer isn't really dry with the onset of monsoon season. Mornings and evenings are horribly sticky, and still hot, but by afternoon the majority of the humidity burns off, but you can still feel it.
Those would be heat indices over 130! That just does not happen. A typical humidity on a 100-110 monsoon day is in the 20s at peak heating. Not fun for sure, but not oppressive humidity like in the east either. As for the OP, it's maybe a hint of desert air, but there really is no comparison. When I get off a plane going east it feels like a wet towel in the face. It is dreadful, even on a cooler day. "Steam" comes out of the AC vents in your rental car! Our summer heat, even in monsoon, is dry in comparison. If it were otherwise, we would be looking at grass, and trees, and flowers rather than cactus, creosote and rock.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:57 PM

277 posts, read 276,540 times
Quote:
I live in New Jersey and just like anywhere, we have our occasional summer heatwaves. Two weeks ago, we had weather in the mid and upper 90s. One day was 95 and one day was 97 (I had experienced 100 degree weather in NJ before when I was little). I checked the weather channel on those days and it said the humidity percentage was in the lower 40s. When I was outside, the weather was more comfortable than a typical NJ summer day. I felt mostly the sun and when I was under the shade, it was cooler with no sun heat or humidity chasing after you. The weather still was not perfectly comfortable, because humidity levels in the 40s are not comfortable enough for a temperature that high. I learned in a physics course that you can actually feel comfortable at 100 degrees as long as the air is super dry. I check Phoenix's weather sometimes and the humidity levels are obviously way lower than what you get back East. The humidity in Phoenix mainly shows in the single digits and the tens.

I noticed that when NJ gets heatwaves, the weather has more of a desert feeling. The humidity percentage levels are usually in the 30s or 40s.

Did I get an AZ summer weather feeling on that day?

I'd prefer the dryish NJ heatwaves over the typical 80 degree humid days we get in NJ. It's much more comfortable.
You won’t get good info on this site it’s full of people who exaggerate and have hate boners for Phoenix.

It never gets that humid except for some
Monsoon nights/mornings but the temps drop significantly

Despite the complaints of heat I always form 100-110 with no humidity more pleasant than humidity with temperatures in the 90’s

It doesn’t really get over 110 more than a few summer afternoons a year and then it’s only like 2pm-5pm

The hottest I’ve seen at night is 105 at midnight the high that day was 120 and of course 0 humidity

Old 06-29-2018, 01:24 PM

872 posts, read 1,000,064 times
I was looking at the weather back there in the NE and saw the coming heat wave. The thing about it is that NE CAN get hot-90s and sometimes it's high humidity (60% or higher) or "dry" (30%-50%). It eventually goes back to 70s/80s and cools very quickly around September/October.

There is no comparison. Phoenix is EXPECTED to be hot from May-October. A heat wave for us is 110+ days. Our humidity never goes over 50% except when it is actually raining but then the temp does drop with the storms. BUT even with the monsoon, there are still days in July/Aug where we get hot hot temps with single digit humidity.

Even 20% humidity is HIGH for us during the peak temperature in the afternoon. I notice that it can be higher in the mornings. The mornings during monsoon moisture are the worst!! IT will be 90 and 50% humidity but drop to 20% humidity and be 105 during the day--typical monsoon season day. Thankfully, unlike in Florida, this influx in humidity does not last long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: