Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 PM

848 posts, read 967,666 times

Advertisements

This is apparently their 'same payment all year' plan? Because I specifically inquired about that, and how much it would be. Their response was that Right now it'd be $260 per month, and that it's reevaluated every quarter, and that the best time to enroll is after getting your October bill. They were talking about credits and whatnot ("Budget Billing is designed to build up a credit balance during the winter billing months to help offset the higher summer bills")?

So basically it changes every quarter and you have to enroll in the winter? But if it changes in a major way each quarter, what's the point? I was wanting a flat payment all year, which my water bill seems to be (maybe the previous tenant did this, because we sure didn't, but it's nice). Every time I see this mentioned on the forum, it's like "SRP has a plan where you can have a flat payment all year, just enroll in that". But I have never seen any mention of all these hoops and caveats. Did I miss something? Did I not word the question properly? Did they not give me the right info for what I was looking for?

Having a 100% predictable (well, I can understand small adjustments, so like 95% predictable) bill would be really nice and helpful. I need some clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
This is apparently their 'same payment all year' plan? Because I specifically inquired about that, and how much it would be. Their response was that Right now it'd be $260 per month, and that it's reevaluated every quarter, and that the best time to enroll is after getting your October bill. They were talking about credits and whatnot ("Budget Billing is designed to build up a credit balance during the winter billing months to help offset the higher summer bills")?

They are just allowing you to pre-pay.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
They are just allowing you to pre-pay.
This is it exactly. They have to audit it and make appropriate adjustments as your usage will not always be the same. They don’t know what you’ll use so they can’t make promises that it will be a slight adjustment or not. Managing your own funds seems much better. I like the ups and downs. In the winter, it feels like you’re stealing!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Pretty sure it will adjust yearly if your usage goes up and down as well.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Pretty sure it will adjust yearly if your usage goes up and down as well.
Kurt, they can adjust more often that that.

I'm on SRP's budget billing and my bill was adjusted for 3 months to one rate, then reviewed and adjusted again for another 3 months. I must have leveled out my usage because I've been on the same monthly rate for 7 months.

You just have to be on their service for at least a year before you can get a true feel for what your monthly budget rate will be.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 PM

107 posts, read 201,418 times
If you enroll in the winter, you'll end up with a credit on your account by the time summer comes along, which is how you'll get through the summer without paying a monthly amount 3x what you pay in the winter. If you enrolled at the beginning of the summer, they'd have to price you at the rate you're going to use all summer so you didn't end up owing them a bunch of money. As far as I know, that's the only reason the timing for enrollment makes a difference. I've been on it for about 20 years... the predictability is very nice.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:18 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Definitely no expert on this one but . . .

Kinda makes sense it would take a few months, possibly longer, for SRP to be able to establish an average rate for a new customer.

My TEP Budget Billing has been holding steady at $70 a month for quite a few years. Some months I am "in the red" and then other months TEP is "in the red" but it all seems to balance out over the course of a year.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Bills are lower October to April, so of course it's "best to enroll" in October. Personally I think what they're doing is collecting in advance during the lower power months so when summer hits, they've been paid.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM

848 posts, read 967,666 times
We've been in the place 2 years, so not new.

See, these are things that I don't remember seeing mentioned when people say "Oh just enroll in budget billing, you get the same payment year round". That's a pretty big caveat for the whole summer vs winter enrollment thing, but I guess it makes sense given the model they're using (building up "credits").

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
If you enroll in the winter, you'll end up with a credit on your account by the time summer comes along, which is how you'll get through the summer without paying a monthly amount 3x what you pay in the winter.
For us it's more like 8-9x. Our winter bills are around $45, but last summer it was $300 - $350 for the hottest months. It's a huge delta and, while nice in the winter, a better balance would be kinda nice.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Just do it yourself. You don't need to get SRP in the loop. When October hits, calculate your average bill over the past 12 months and then start paying that amount each month. You'll build up a balance during the winter, and use it up next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area