Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,627,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot depend on renters to do so even when if I leave filters for them.

I need to personally inspect the filter is new or change it myself.
I can totally understand that. I change them because it helps my power bills, but I have friends who didn't know they should change the filters. None of us are spring chickens so I was surprised at their ignorance. The maintenance here will come out and change the filters for you if you can't reach the vent (ceiling vent, lots of seniors here). You just have to call in the request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,092,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I can totally understand that. I change them because it helps my power bills, but I have friends who didn't know they should change the filters. None of us are spring chickens so I was surprised at their ignorance. The maintenance here will come out and change the filters for you if you can't reach the vent (ceiling vent, lots of seniors here). You just have to call in the request.
Do you know how much changing the filter out that frequently is helping with your power bills? If it’s significant, I’ll look into doing the same.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 AM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
The dirtier your filter the harder your unit has to work therefore costs more money.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 PM

13,359 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Filtrete has a Bluetooth filter can pair to a device and it tells you when to change it probably not worth the cost.

https://www.filtrete.com/3M/en_US/fi...er-technology/

Also this device which connects WiFi https://www.amazon.com/FILTERSCAN-Fu.../dp/B013EVUESE

Of course probably just change them out once a month look at mine each week when it starts to pull up into the box I change it even sooner during this time off year.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,216,040 times
Some thermostats will tell you how many "filter hours" you have used. I go by that as some times of year less use going on so going by the calendar doesn't make sense.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 AM

That would be a nice feature. The one here is basic, basic, basic. The little light turns on when you change the temp so you can see it better, but that’s all the “bells and whistles” it has.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The dirtier your filter the harder your unit has to work therefore costs more money.
Just wondering how much...

Old 08-03-2018, 03:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,056,107 times
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have an electronic air cleaner installed in their HVAC system? If it catches dust, I'm interested (BTW, please don't suggest brands of air filters--I want the electronic ones.)

Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 AM

843 posts, read 568,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have an electronic air cleaner installed in their HVAC system? If it catches dust, I'm interested (BTW, please don't suggest brands of air filters--I want the electronic ones.)
I had an EAC system many years ago, and I liked it a lot. I believe it was made by Honeywell. There were two 3"-4" thick elements with lots of fins that needed to be rinsed out ever few months. I saw a lot of dirt go down the drain when I did.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Be sure that whatever you put in doesn't restrict the airflow. After having 2 energy audits in two different houses one thing kept coming up and that is that home builders put barely adequate air returns and if you install anything higher than the thinnest/cheapest filter you are restricting the airflow and reducing the efficiency/functioning of the system.

In both houses if we wanted to go with a MERV rating higher than the lowest one available we'd have to add at least one return and in the last house 2-3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area