Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times

Advertisements

My fifth summer here. Yes, it's hot in the desert. Being from the south I don't find it to be anything other than mildly annoying. Whenever it starts to wear on me I simply remind myself that summer here is the reason our cost of living is so cheap and that 8 months of perfection are right around the corner. And anyone who doesn't use a 10 dollar sun shade in their vehicle needs to examine their life choices lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Also my first summer here. Surprisingly (to me), it’s been hotter than I would like. But if the humidity has been higher than normal, that could explain it. I’m trying hard to feel like we shouldn’t have moved from Dallas. Hopefully the fall/winter months will be a great experience, weather-wise.
You were surprised by the heat in Phoenix?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Typed that backwards 9/18 which is why I said wait another 4 weeks to be safe.

6/15 to 9/15 are my hot dates for summer, I’ve stuck by that since first moving here in 2002 and it’s always been fairly spot on over the years. This morning was noticeably cooler than last week, clear nights and dryer air is already feeling much nicer. The monsoon isn’t over though, if moisture moves back in we’ll see cloudy/warmer nights again. But subtle differences are starting if you pay attention.
Average high in Phoenix according to US Climate Data site hits 100 June 1 and under 100 Sept 17. I guess that would be my subjective "hot" part. If 95 is your criteria, add another couple weeks either side so 4.5 months.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
That’s what I was looking forward to...no sticky air!
This morning was the first morning I can remember since late June where the air was dry in the morning! It made me smile from ear to ear.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:21 AM

872 posts, read 999,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
This morning was the first morning I can remember since late June where the air was dry in the morning! It made me smile from ear to ear.
Yes!!! It was even "cool" last night. Didn't feel suffocated and didn't sweat as much working on my patio

The nights are cooling down, slowly but surely. I can see lows in 70s in the extended accuweather forecasts!!

It's usually mid sept when things start to break off and we get more consistent highs under 100 and that lower dp

Looks like some monsoon action labor day weekend though

Old 08-28-2018, 11:48 AM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Yes!!! It was even "cool" last night. Didn't feel suffocated and didn't sweat as much working on my patio

I agree. We have a TV outside on the patio and prefer to sit outside at night. Last night was nice.

As I recall, the mornings were fairly nice this year until early July. That's longer than usual. This morning was really nice.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
You were surprised by the heat in Phoenix?
No, that it’s hotter than I personally would like surprises me. Usually, the hotter, the better for me. I’m a big heat advocate. Lol

Old 08-28-2018, 03:02 PM

61 posts, read 48,910 times
Quote:
No, that it’s hotter than I personally would like surprises me. Usually, the hotter, the better for me. I’m a big heat advocate. Lol
This. This is what worries me. I love the heat, too. I wonder if Phoenix level of prolonged heat might even pound that love out of me! So I sit in Southern Oregon, where most of the summer it was 97 and smokey. Doh!

Old 08-28-2018, 05:58 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
There have been 22 days at or above 110 at Sky Harbor this year.

5 days in June
10 days in July
7 days in August

Phoenix is the only major city in the country where almost a month’s worth of 110+ degree days can be considered a “mild” summer.

Last year there were 24 days at or above 110 at Sky Harbor.

11 days in June
7 days in July
4 days in August
2 days in September

It’s too soon to declare that the 110 degree weather is over for the year. I’m waiting another three weeks or so before making that assumption.
Hmm...well I don't live by Sky Harbor...Chandler has had it pretty good then Either that or I am just not paying attention to 110+ days anymore.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
This. This is what worries me. I love the heat, too. I wonder if Phoenix level of prolonged heat might even pound that love out of me! So I sit in Southern Oregon, where most of the summer it was 97 and smokey. Doh!
I don’t think it’s enough to worry about, just consider. And I don’t think my love for heat is going away. I’ll still take too hot over cold any day. Maybe better to look at it like it could make you appreciate cool weather more.

Phoenix definitely sounds better than 97 and smoky. And I’m saying that after getting caught out in a dust storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: