Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,488 times

Advertisements

I have driven to many cities around the US. Phoenix roads are well maintained the most.

In fact, Warner Road where i always take going to work has been in repair for the past 2 months. It delays my travel by 5 more minutes. Before the maintenance, the road wasn't bad at all. I think the repair is unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I have driven to many cities around the US. Phoenix roads are well maintained the most.

In fact, Warner Road where i always take going to work has been in repair for the past 2 months. It delays my travel by 5 more minutes. Before the maintenance, the road wasn't bad at all. I think the repair is unnecessary.
Warner Road is in the SE Valley, and the only part of "Phoenix" it runs through is the Ahwatukee section. You're going to generally find most suburban streets are well maintained ... however, many of the older streets in more established or urbanized areas have fallen in disrepair. Phoenix's streets might seem well maintained, but weather conditions play an important role in this. Phoenix hardly has any kind of weather related issues compared to many other cities, and this makes a difference. In any case, streets still need maintenance, and this is one thing which has been lacking lately. Apparently, city officials believe there are other "priorities", such as spending millions of tax dollars on arena renovations and truncated domed curbs.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Agree that the roads aren't as good as they should be for a young city like this in a warm climate.

I wish they'd stop using that asphalt crap and use concrete instead. Yes it costs more, but it holds up and LOOKS better IMO.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Agree that the roads aren't as good as they should be for a young city like this in a warm climate.

I wish they'd stop using that asphalt crap and use concrete instead. Yes it costs more, but it holds up and LOOKS better IMO.
Agree 100% about concrete holding up better. ADOT made another huge blunder by pouring that ridiculous rubberized asphalt on top of the concrete freeways. The result is a bunch of freeway sections with cracks, chips, and holes that need far more maintenance than concrete. The reason they supposedly did this was to reduce the "noise", but it makes no sense because freeways aren't intended to be quiet.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Agree 100% about concrete holding up better. ADOT made another huge blunder by pouring that ridiculous rubberized asphalt on top of the concrete freeways. The result is a bunch of freeway sections with cracks, chips, and holes that need far more maintenance than concrete. The reason they supposedly did this was to reduce the "noise", but it makes no sense because freeways aren't intended to be quiet.
I wonder of that is the stuff a lot of streets in Scottsdale seem to have. Whatever it is, it just splits leaving deep, almost gash-like holes. Really awful.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:21 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,776 times
Quote:

Also, since concrete is a lighter color it would be cooler as well. Theoretically that is.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
The Phoenix metro area has grown significantly in just the last 5 years and I think most of the population growth has been in the cities around Phoenix, and unfortunately the significant increase of traffic has been evident in Phoenix and the city has not been able to keep up on road maintenance and repairs. I also don't believe Governor Ducey has any control on what to budget for street maintenance, that's done by each city.

I know the one thing that I've noticed lately is a lot of repairs, maintenance, and replacement of what's under the streets, with lane closures on many major streets and of course the traffic back-ups that result from lane closures, even on weekends.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:49 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:

For as large as the Phoenix area has gotten, asphalt is not very ideal, it may have been in the past when the total population of the entire metro area was under 2 million. Asphalt heats up a lot more than concrete, so you might have to replace your tires more often now because most freeways have asphalt, and with the hotter road surface temperatures in the summer months, that'll also cause tires to wear out faster.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
For as large as the Phoenix area has gotten, asphalt is not very ideal, it may have been in the past when the total population of the entire metro area was under 2 million. Asphalt heats up a lot more than concrete, so you might have to replace your tires more often now because most freeways have asphalt, and with the hotter road surface temperatures in the summer months, that'll also cause tires to wear out faster.
Exactly! Concrete would be cooler (although not much in the big picture), but it also requires less maintenance than asphalt. I remember shortly after the 51 freeway was finished, it was surfaced with concrete and it was a smooth drive: no bumps or flaws anywhere. Then ADOT decided to lay rubberized asphalt down on top of the concrete to reduce the "awful noise pollution", and that's when the cracks, chips, and potholes started appearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area