Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

What is going on with the city of Phoenix and their street maintenance? Apparently very little from what I've seen lately. Many streets have fallen in disrepair with cracking pavement, potholes, and other issues that have become not only annoying, but can be damaging to vehicles. When streets are torn up for sewer or utility line maintenance, they're patched up but not resurfaced, and the result is bumps, dips, and cracks that can play havoc on cars.

There's no excuse for the condition of these streets, such as lack of money. The economy is bustling, and there are plenty of funds. Perhaps the City should use that money for priorities, instead of more light rail lines where they're not needed, renovating the Suns arena, or installing those ridiculous sidewalk bump curbs all over the place! Phoenix used to have fairly smooth streets with few problems, but not so much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 05:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Compared to most all cities, Phoenix's streets are in extraordinary shape. When you've lived in a city where you hit potholes that are so deep that you've wondered if your wheel was damaged, then you would see. There are some streets here that could stand to be resurfaced, but they're fine for driving.

Phoenix voters approved the T2050 plan, which explicitly stated what percentage of revenue would go to transit, pedestrian, bicycle, and road improvements. It's what the people of the city said they wanted and it's what they're getting. If you thought the passage of T2050 meant that all priorities were going to be taken care of immediately, you were wrong.

Lastly, your idea that there is plenty of money is laughable. There are extreme budget shortfalls at both the city and state level due to revenue that was dedicated toward transportation being raided by the state legislature to fund DPS. Additionally, agencies like MAG went a number of years with lower than expected transportation funding from Proposition 400, which is collected through a county wide sales tax. When people buy fewer items, as they did during the Recession, sales tax revenue is lower.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Compared to most all cities, Phoenix's streets are in extraordinary shape. When you've lived in a city where you hit potholes that are so deep that you've wondered if your wheel was damaged, then you would see. There are some streets here that could stand to be resurfaced, but they're fine for driving.
I'm not comparing other cities to Phoenix ... however, since you brought it up, I don't want Phoenix to be anything like the other cities with streets in severe disrepair, and we shouldn't have to be. We have decent weather most of the time that doesn't take a toll on our roads like in other places. Still, streets need to be kept up and not neglected like they seem to have been lately. This city used to do a pretty good job of repaving when needed, but not so much anymore. One of the streets in my neighborhood hasn't been resurfaced in many years, and it was torn up a year or so ago & patched up, which made the conditions even worse than before. I called the City, only to be told there is no plan in the near future to repave these streets that are in need of it.

Quote:
Phoenix voters approved the T2050 plan, which explicitly stated what percentage of revenue would go to transit, pedestrian, bicycle, and road improvements. It's what the people of the city said they wanted and it's what they're getting. If you thought the passage of T2050 meant that all priorities were going to be taken care of immediately, you were wrong.
So what do you consider "priorities"? Installing those silly truncated domed curbs in the sidewalks that wreck havoc on wheelchairs? Some of those were installed on sidewalks in my area right in the same proximity of the streets which need repaving.

Quote:
Lastly, your idea that there is plenty of money is laughable. There are extreme budget shortfalls at both the city and state level due to revenue that was dedicated toward transportation being raided by the state legislature to fund DPS. Additionally, agencies like MAG went a number of years with lower than expected transportation funding from Proposition 400, which is collected through a county wide sales tax. When people buy fewer items, as they did during the Recession, sales tax revenue is lower.
MAG and the City of Phoenix are two different entities. Again, since you brought it up, maybe you should understand that the big recession is long over. This isn't 2009 anymore. Jump ahead 10 years and notice how well the economy has been doing. Unemployment is low, consumer spending is up, and both Phoenix & the state of AZ as a whole have plenty of money in their budgets. Sorry, your excuses don't hold any merit here.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What is going on with the city of Phoenix and their street maintenance? Apparently very little from what I've seen lately. Many streets have fallen in disrepair with cracking pavement, potholes, and other issues that have become not only annoying, but can be damaging to vehicles. When streets are torn up for sewer or utility line maintenance, they're patched up but not resurfaced, and the result is bumps, dips, and cracks that can play havoc on cars.

There's no excuse for the condition of these streets, such as lack of money. The economy is bustling, and there are plenty of funds. Perhaps the City should use that money for priorities, instead of more light rail lines where they're not needed, renovating the Suns arena, or installing those ridiculous sidewalk bump curbs all over the place! Phoenix used to have fairly smooth streets with few problems, but not so much anymore.
The roads in the City of Phoenix really have gone down hill noticeably over the last several years, especially compared to what I see in Scottsdale.

The City does have somewhat of a plan to start addressing it, and hopefully they spend the money before the next recession hits. Here is a good overview of the problem and the money they are throwing at the problem: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rs/2357054002/

Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
What does it cost (per square foot or yard) to remove and replace asphalt?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,378 times
Default Happy Phoenician

It is not so expensive as look at the time of year they fix the streets. Summer! Why? Because the ground is warmer! The ground is actually too cold this time of year. It the same reason they don't resurface pools this time of year. They do it in the blistering sun. So cut everyone a cut them a break, back off all the complaints and have little respect for those workers for pity sake. I didn't swear. Picture I did swear though!

Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,378 times
Default Happy Phoenician

Posted my own reply: sir could you please give me the names of the streets so I can inspect them. That way I will be another voice to complain!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
I agree.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
You think here is bad, have you visited Tucson? Most of the streets there are tougher than dirt roads.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 AM

For those who still believe the tired out excuse that there is no money in city or state coffers for road projects: Governor Ducey is proposing $130 million to finally widen & improve I17 north of Anthem, which is long overdue. There is plenty of money in the budget compared to just a few years ago. This is a little off the topic, but it's one example of why "lack of funds" is just another lame excuse.

As far as Phoenix: the city seems to have plenty of money since it wants to use millions of taxpayer dollars to renovate the Suns arena, as well as add more light rail lines. Streets that have light rail received upgrades, including repaving and overall improvements, but other major thoroughfares (as well as less significant streets) also need attention. If more attention isn't given to street maintenance, then Phoenix will begin to have very poor streets like other cities that we don't want to copy. I'm afraid it's already headed in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area