Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 PM

61 posts, read 48,902 times

Advertisements

I'm looking between Downtown Phoenix, Midtown/North Central and Old town Scottsdale.
About me: 60 yo retiree physically active in outdoor sports. Love Walking and cycling.
Walkability is big to me. I would like to be as car independent as possible.
Last spring I visited for nine days at Tempe, North Central and McCormick Ranch and Downtown areas of Scottsdale. Based on that visit I would probably favor Scottsdale.
Condo complexes I've been looking at on-line include Optima Camelview, Third Street Condominiums, Lofts at 4020, the Lofts on Thomas Street, Artisan Lofts on Central.
If anyone has any feedback on neighborhood and/or specific condo complexes, it would be great for you to share.
Thanks!

Last edited by Mac58; 02-04-2019 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
Well if you are serious about being independent of a car I would suggest you consider being within walking distance of the light rail. That puts you along Central Ave from Camelback south to downtown. Most of the places you mentioned are high rise complexes. So if that is what you want you have quite a few options. If you prefer something more like a townhouse take a look at Roosevelt Square townhomes.

Personally, I like the Scottsdale waterfront area. Very classy and loads of dining and shopping options. But you may get bored with the lack of public transportation. The trolley is great for tourists but I don't think it is something you want to use daily.

All of the complexes you mentioned are expensive places to live. Not just purchase price, but monthly assessments from several hundred to $1000+ monthly. Convenience comes at a cost.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
If you're looking to be car independent, I would say that you should look in downtown Phoenix. A full-sized, chain grocery store will be opening an urban location in downtown Phoenix. There are a number of very good restaurants, quite a few bars, major sporting events, some major concerts, and access to the light rail, which can take you to Tempe and other areas. Downtown can be dead after hours or on weekends if there's not a major event or a big convention going on. However, it seems like there are more festivals going on downtown these days, which cut back on the frequency of those dead times.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:38 PM

421 posts, read 391,170 times
You might look at Stadium Lofts, also at 2nd and Buchanan. Less HOA than the others mentioned -- my daughter pays $175 a month. Not sure how big of condo you are looking for but they have secure/covered parking included with the HOA fee. It's just a couple of blocks to the light rail and a new grocery store going up downtown and easy to walk the downtown area from the warehouse district which it is in.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 PM

61 posts, read 48,902 times
Thanks for these good suggestions. Low HOAs seems like a good thing. While there are some buildings with higher HOAs, I'm generally impressed with how many services and utilities are paid for under the HOA umbrella.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
As far as your age demographic goes I would choose old town Scottsdale hands down. Midtown/uptown Phoenix would work also. Downtown is a very young crowd and I don't think the amenities are keeping up with the prices. The lofts on thomas are located in the heart of town but in a strange area that isn't very walkable aside from a safeway and a couple restaurants on osborn. I take it that you will have a car but would prefer to not drive everywhere? If that's the case old town and midtown would be my choices.

The area around central and camelback has plenty of good eats and such.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Old Town Scottsdale is full of retired folk, and the ones I talk to love it. There's a lot of choices for living near there. Condos of course. You could even invest in one of those duplexes or two bedroom houses within walking distance and remodel it. I do that for people all the time.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Personally, I like the Scottsdale waterfront area. Very classy and loads of dining and shopping options. But you may get bored with the lack of public transportation. The trolley is great for tourists but I don't think it is something you want to use daily.
Uber is really active in Old Town, there are the motorized and pedal carts once you are in the Entertainment District, Albertson's is just down on Scottsdale/Thomas, the whole area is very walkable and dare I say enjoyable to take a stroll...if I didn't have kids and wanted to live where everything is convenient, Old Town would be the place. There is a bus line that runs up Scottsdale Road as well if you want to use that. I wouldn't recommend the Bird/Lime scooters but if those are your thing...they are all over the place as well.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 AM

277 posts, read 276,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
If you're looking to be car independent, I would say that you should look in downtown Phoenix. A full-sized, chain grocery store will be opening an urban location in downtown Phoenix. There are a number of very good restaurants, quite a few bars, major sporting events, some major concerts, and access to the light rail, which can take you to Tempe and other areas. Downtown can be dead after hours or on weekends if there's not a major event or a big convention going on. However, it seems like there are more festivals going on downtown these days, which cut back on the frequency of those dead times.
Downtowns never really dead anymore, however it’s definately a younger person are like 25-40. Scottsdale is more for 60yo but only possible t forgoe a car if you are willing to pay for Lyft/Uber rides

Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM

277 posts, read 276,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
I'm looking between Downtown Phoenix, Midtown/North Central and Old town Scottsdale.
About me: 60 yo retiree physically active in outdoor sports. Love Walking and cycling.
Walkability is big to me. I would like to be as car independent as possible.
Last spring I visited for nine days at Tempe, North Central and McCormick Ranch and Downtown areas of Scottsdale. Based on that visit I would probably favor Scottsdale.
Condo complexes I've been looking at on-line include Optima Camelview, Third Street Condominiums, Lofts at 4020, the Lofts on Thomas Street, Artisan Lofts on Central.
If anyone has any feedback on neighborhood and/or specific condo complexes, it would be great for you to share.
Thanks!
I live in midtown and I’d still suggest having a car, but with a bike and Lyft/Uber I pretty much go every weekend without touching my car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area