Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 PM

567 posts, read 788,435 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to offend, but as a grandmother I can say that you're making an enormous assumption that your kids will stick around wherever you are when they grow up. Not true.

For the 12-year-old, work opportunities are way down the road. For the 16-year-old, unless s/he needs to work his/her way through college and will have to find part-time employment now and/or in a couple of years, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, either. The best you can do is to find the best schools you can. They'll learn to deal with the rest. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:32 PM

255 posts, read 69,432 times
Their quality of life will soar when they leave CA and their cost of living will sink; start with much lower gasoline prices ($1.10/gallon less in AZ right now), as well as lower prices for groceries, auto insurance, health insurance and other necessities and go for there.

CA is not a middle-class friendly state as opposed to AZ.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:30 PM

386 posts, read 327,443 times
Helicopter parent?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,360 times
We moved from Mission Viejo two years ago & I only waited so long because My Wife was very hesitant. As many here have stated the cost of living & quality of living makes up for the lower pay (14-26%) depending on where you get your info or job you have. I personally took a 14% pay cut but quickly decreased the impact to 9% in two years. As for the children, they will find their way & the opportunities to minimize travel to school/jobs allow them to save gas money vs SoCal.
I choose North PHX & love it!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM

494 posts, read 502,104 times
As one who transplanted from SoCal's insanity to Goodyear's Palm Valley and Buckeye's Verrado and havind lived in Estrella, I can tell you that moving here is not only a financial home run, but also a major stress reduce. Everything from housing to gas, to bread, milk, car registration, and everything else costs less here. You will be happier and womder what took you so long to make the move.

My CA mortgage was choked my wallet every month. San Diego's traffic was exhausting....everything about that go-forsaken place will send you to an early grave where you will arrive broke.

If your children get the right skills, then they will do fine financially. ( I'm gainfully employed and make more here than I did in CA)

If you're interested in living on the west side, (you mentioned Estrella) also consider verrado, vistsncia, and palm valley as top options. Get out of Cali sooner than later.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 PM

128 posts, read 143,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Helicopter parent?

There is a trend about doing two years at a community college and then two years at a reputable in-state public university. It helps keep the costs down. Parents can still retire at some (earlier) point and young people can start careers with less debt.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM

77 posts, read 74,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
There is a trend about doing two years at a community college and then two years at a reputable in-state public university. It helps keep the costs down. Parents can still retire at some (earlier) point and young people can start careers with less debt.
Exactly. Some people are too quick to criticize.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
Not sure that is a "trend"...it is exactly what I and a number of my friends did 20+ years ago. Are people really only starting to realize this? 400+ students in an Auditorium for Eng101 at ASU or 30 students at MCCC (your choice which one) at a fraction of the cost. All in-state Universities (ASU, NAU, UofA) have transfer programs to make sure your credits transfer over correctly as well.

Or...pay through the nose for that "college experience"?

As far as the OP's question of employment...it really depends on what the kids decide to get their degrees in. There was a report last week that AZ surpassed CA and TX as the fastest growing economy due to Financial and BioTech jobs. I can't find it right now but I think I heard that on KTAR...

Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
IMO, the vaunted "CA pay premium" is fading rapidly.
"Pay premium"? In San Diego, that premium is paid in "sunshine dollars". No creditor accepts them.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Anyone notice the original post was a month ago and the OP never returned?

If she was serious about making the move, I'd say "Don't put it off." I looked at the model houses in the last phase of Anthem, the part west of I-17. This might have been around 2012. Prices have gone up quite a bit since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area