Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,999 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 thinking about moving from Mission Viejo (So. CA) to AZ, focusing on the areas of Anthem, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, & surrounding (preferably Anthem). My MAJOR concern is that my two kids (12 & 16) might not have the opportunities for employment that they have here in So. CA.

My 16 yr old will be going to Community College for the 1st 2 yrs, then ASU. My 12 yr old, probably the same. The Master planned communities (Parkside, Estrella) seem nice as I like the look of where I live now...but not the cost of CA. I also like being near a lake as we enjoy boating.

Basically, I am writing this post as my only concerns is my kids in finding jobs that pay like here in CA. I am aware that it is less there, but is it all relative due to housing is cheaper? How is employment in the areas that I mentioned for young people starting out after college? Are there families with kids 12 & 16 that move to areas I mentioned, or is is basically more retired people. Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 PM

277 posts, read 276,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzboyz View Post
We are a family of 4 thinking about moving from Mission Viejo (So. CA) to AZ, focusing on the areas of Anthem, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, & surrounding (preferably Anthem). My MAJOR concern is that my two kids (12 & 16) might not have the opportunities for employment that they have here in So. CA.

My 16 yr old will be going to Community College for the 1st 2 yrs, then ASU. My 12 yr old, probably the same. The Master planned communities (Parkside, Estrella) seem nice as I like the look of where I live now...but not the cost of CA. I also like being near a lake as we enjoy boating.

Basically, I am writing this post as my only concerns is my kids in finding jobs that pay like here in CA. I am aware that it is less there, but is it all relative due to housing is cheaper? How is employment in the areas that I mentioned for young people starting out after college? Are there families with kids 12 & 16 that move to areas I mentioned, or is is basically more retired people. Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
People have been concerned about the amount of money you can make vs California or maybe New York but the Phoenix metro has an above average household income and rapid job and wage growth.

I’ve looked for similar positions to my own in California and found the increase in pay pales in comparison to the increased cost of living, so while I make less than my counterpart in the Bay Area, in Phoenix I can afford a condo and lifestyle better than my counterpart in the Bay Area.

As for specifically buckeye/Goodyear the west valley is generally more working class and blue collar with the east valley being more in keeping with what you’d be used to in much of SoCal (Irvine, Pasadena etc). As your kids are still teens I wouldn’t worry to much about what their careers will be in 10 years for all you know they’ll have moved for school or whatever long before it’s a concern and in 10 years your concerns on pay May be moot anyway with Arizona’s trajectory.

Anthem is closer toed economically with the east valley which will tie in with higher paid positions in Scottsdale, not to mention deer valley (north Phoenix ) has the highest concentration of financial jobs in the city

Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzboyz View Post

Thank you!!
In general jobs won't pay as well in Phoenix as it would in Socal but when you factor in cost of living, they will be better off financially.

The question in my mind is does the lowered economic status in Socal worth it when you factor in the fantastic climate...I torn on this but I think probably not for me.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:39 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Both of my sons attended college here, one at NAU/ASU (Master in Civil Engineering) the other at UA (Systems Analyst). Both were able to find good jobs here in the valley. Of course, the reason is that they both had skills that were in demand.

I know it sounds crazy to say this but I would worry less about where they find their employment after school and more about the field of study that they enter. I always encouraged them to find a career path that interested them. If the job was somewhere other than Arizona, so be it. In today's world, it is imperative to go where the jobs are, even if it is overseas. People live all over the world. There is nothing magical about Phoenix. You can be happy anywhere or unhappy in Phoenix.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
How the heck do you know that a 12 and 16 year old will end up at community colleges? I don’t really see the relevance as many people post-college move all over for work. It’s not like they’ll be stuck here.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:04 PM

427 posts, read 367,885 times
IMO, the vaunted "CA pay premium" is fading rapidly. Probably due to ever increasing business costs. I have friends in Phoenix, Austin and Kansas City that make over $60k. They would hit $75k in SoCal so they are better off not in SoCal. Not to mention homeownership which in SoCal means long commutes or renting.

All depends on what kind of life you're looking for.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
How the heck do you know that a 12 and 16 year old will end up at community colleges? I don’t really see the relevance as many people post-college move all over for work. It’s not like they’ll be stuck here.

Maybe she plans on driving them to work?

Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Maybe she plans on driving them to work?
Her adult children to their post-college careers?

Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Her adult children to their post-college careers?

Half joking. But since she is setting the bar for her 12 yr old at CC and job prospects 10 years out ..... one never knows.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Half joking. But since she is setting the bar for her 12 yr old at CC and job prospects 10 years out ..... one never knows.
Haha, gotcha! It sure in an interesting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area