Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Maybe not. Six Flags bought out an old amusement park back in MA several years ago and they came in and revamped the whole park. We all thought they were crazy because its in an area kinda off the beaten path where you wouldn't think dumping this much money into an old park would gain this much revenue. They bought up property up and down the street and put in parking lots with bridges over the street and basically gutted the whole park and added millions to it. Now it's called Six Flags New England and people from all over the east coast come there. They're constantly adding new rides and the place is always packed so I would assume there planning to do the same for the one in Glendale.
Keyword "bought"
Six Flags doesn't own the property, Maricopa County does.
It's hard to build out on leased land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 06:04 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,714,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well we finally manage to get something that, in name at least, is a bonafide amusement park. Six Flags bought Wet and Wild and has upgraded the amusements and will reopen this year as a Six Flags Hurricane Harbor. (I would have liked Haboob Harbor, but I can settle for this). We're on our way to greatness.
Ah, another example of high culture in Phoenix, eh?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:20 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,222 times
YAY Six Flags

The memories

-people throwing up
-people getting stuck on rides
-coasters breaking down at the top
-over priced food/drink
-horrid lines with a fast pass that costs 2x much as the tickets
-FUN!!!

It's all part of the park experience, not saying I don't like it but these are realites from my experiences lol

Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Ah, another example of high culture in Phoenix, eh?
I know exactly what you mean ... however, Phoenix does need something like this to generate more out of state revenue on a year round basis. As it stands now, people tend to bypass us for CA during the summer vacation season. If I'm not mistaken, this is the largest metro area without any major theme parks. The Six Flags (if it comes to fruition) will probably be nothing more than a big waterpark, but at least it's a step in the right direction. What I'd like to see is something done with the MetroCenter: tear down the mall which is mostly abandoned, and expand Castles & Coasters into a large indoor/outdoor theme park. Also, the state fairgrounds should be moved to an outlying area, the old Coliseum should be torn down, and the land would be sufficient enough for an amusement park.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,714,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I know exactly what you mean ... however, Phoenix does need something like this to generate more out of state revenue on a year round basis. As it stands now, people tend to bypass us for CA during the summer vacation season. If I'm not mistaken, this is the largest metro area without any major theme parks. The Six Flags (if it comes to fruition) will probably be nothing more than a big waterpark, but at least it's a step in the right direction. What I'd like to see is something done with the MetroCenter: tear down the mall which is mostly abandoned, and expand Castles & Coasters into a large indoor/outdoor theme park. Also, the state fairgrounds should be moved to an outlying area, the old Coliseum should be torn down, and the land would be sufficient enough for an amusement park.
But have you considered that perhaps people bypass us in the summer season because normal people don't relish the prospect of temperatures over 100?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
But have you considered that perhaps people bypass us in the summer season because normal people don't relish the prospect of temperatures over 100?
Do people stop going to Vegas in the summer? Last time I was there in July it was jam packed.

If you build something designed for the climate you'd convince a lot of the 7 million people in this state who travel to CA to stick around here instead. The staycation scene is already fairly large at the local resorts, I'm sure a theme park designed properly would do well. And the fall-spring tourism scene is large enough to keep it busy the other 9 months of the year.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 AM

268 posts, read 216,583 times
I agree completely! A half-domed open area well design theme park would do well in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Guys, this is a WATER PARK. Phoenix is not scheduled to get a full fledged Six Flags. This is merely regarding the sale of Wet N Wild to Six Flags which happened last year.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Do people stop going to Vegas in the summer? Last time I was there in July it was jam packed.

If you build something designed for the climate you'd convince a lot of the 7 million people in this state who travel to CA to stick around here instead. The staycation scene is already fairly large at the local resorts, I'm sure a theme park designed properly would do well. And the fall-spring tourism scene is large enough to keep it busy the other 9 months of the year.
Very good points. Yes, it is damn hot here in the summer, but your statements about Vegas are very true: it can be just as hot there, but that doesn't seem to limit the tourism. People go to Vegas all year round, and walk up & down the Strip in the middle of the blazing summer heat. Also, Florida is very hot, humid, and stormy in the summer ... however, their theme parks are packed all year round (probably more than the ones in CA). Personally, I find it humorously hypocritical how many people brag about our summers being "tolerable", but the same ones will say that theme parks won't work here because it's too hot.

Bottom line is: I'd much rather see the tourism dollars stay here, including more out of state summer vacationers who often travel to CA for beaches & theme parks. Tourism in & around the Phoenix is mostly seasonal, and we still focus too much on snowbirds. Based on how large this place is now, it is high time we start adding more attractions that will bring people in here during all times of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Guys, this is a WATER PARK. Phoenix is not scheduled to get a full fledged Six Flags. This is merely regarding the sale of Wet N Wild to Six Flags which happened last year.
Yes, I think this is just a big hype, and it probably won't be enough to bring in more tourism. Besides, many other theme parks & similar attractions have been proposed, but have never fully materialized. Lots of big talk, but little action.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
This isn't even recent news. This was going down last year. Near the end of last season for Wet N Wild I got emails with offers for season passes at the newly branded Six flags water park. That was probably September or October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area