Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
You are factually wrong sir with all due respect. Las Vegas' population has doubled over the years and they use LESS water now than they did then. And all those beautiful fountains you see (Bellagio in particular) use water from aquifers beneath the properties. So the water that you see is not coming from Lake Mead.

Two, ALL water that returns through the sewer system is recycled back to Lake Mead for water credits. That's why they use far below their share of the Colorado river now, they reuse most of their water. They're on an aggressive campaign to pay people to replace grass with xeriscaping. So in short, Las Vegas is way ahead of the Valley of the Sun in water conservation. Phoenix does have more water sources, but that doesn't mean you can take the attitude that we're fine when it comes to water.
LV per capita use GOAL is 199 gal/person/day by 2035. They are not meeting their interim goals either. Phoenix now is 108, LA 85. Facts. They better be cutting water use too, because LV is growth limited unless they do. Phoenix, by contrast, can easily meet the domestic requirements of 10 million people with existing sources. FWIW Phoenix also uses less water than years ago in spite of population growth. It's because ag is being retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:41 AM

121 posts, read 116,971 times
Makes sense.....When i first moved here the one thing i noticed was the crazy amount of car washes around, literally car washes a cross the street from each other so I often wondered if washing my car in the driveway was frowned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You'll get a fight. Some things are obvious like letting a hose run while washing a car. Letting water run into the street from sprinkers etc. On a larger scale, there is a term called "beneficial use". Does the water produce some economic benefit? Some uses have higher value than others. For example, residential uses are considered very high beneficial use, while irrigating low value crops like alfalfa are not. Watering residential lawns is probably the lowest beneficial use I can think of right off. Before anyone gets started, golf courses are among the highest beneficial uses (and a great deal of commercial turf irrigation in Arizona is now reclaimed water).

Old 02-19-2019, 10:43 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
LV per capita use GOAL is 199 gal/person/day by 2035. They are not meeting their interim goals either. Phoenix now is 108, LA 85. Facts. They better be cutting water use too, because LV is growth limited unless they do. Phoenix, by contrast, can easily meet the domestic requirements of 10 million people with existing sources. FWIW Phoenix also uses less water than years ago in spite of population growth. It's because ag is being retired.

Either on site wells/aquifers. Easy search turns up the answers.
Bellagio Fountains Aren't Sipping City Supply - Vegas Seven

As far as per capita use, I can look that up. But overall, we're well BELOW our overall ration of 300k acre feet of water from the Colorado. That's THE number that matters the most. And that's where AZ will be lose the most in this drought pact. NV will lose some but not as much as us.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez74 View Post
Makes sense.....When i first moved here the one thing i noticed was the crazy amount of car washes around, literally car washes a cross the street from each other so I often wondered if washing my car in the driveway was frowned on.
Almost all of them filter and recycle their water so it is probably more conservation minded to take it to a car wash. I wonder about people who wash their cars all the time though. It's so dusty here that a wash is good for a day or two, especially with a dark paint. I wash mine when it gets thrown in with an oil change and rotation at the dealer.

As for having them washed, you will see after being here for a while that it seems everyone forgets how to do anything themselves. They have a landscaper, pool service, maid service, handymen to change light bulbs etc - and go to the car wash.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM

I see where the NWS snow prediction has a possibility of nearly 3 feet in Payson this week. In Payson, for heaven's sake!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
I see where the NWS snow prediction has a possibility of nearly 3 feet in Payson this week. In Payson, for heaven's sake!

Isn't that near your place? Crazy amounts predicted. Let's see if it comes true.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Isn't that near your place? Crazy amounts predicted. Let's see if it comes true.
Kind of as the crow flies, but I'm 2000 feet higher. Payson is below the Rim at about 4900 feet and generally does not get all that much snow in storms.

We are setting up for a possible flood on the Salt through Phoenix like in March 1978. There is a lot of water equivalent on the watersheds now, wet soils, Verde River system near 80% full, and the potential for a warm and very wet storm or two to bring it all down at once in March. The fly in the ointment is the Salt side which is pretty low even with the recent runoff.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Welcome to El Nino. It's a normal weather pattern for El Nino. Nothing to get excited about except for the extra rain.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Welcome to El Nino. It's a normal weather pattern for El Nino. Nothing to get excited about except for the extra rain.
I've never been convinced of much of a correlation between El Nino and our weather in Arizona. Sometimes it seems to matter, others not. There are other patterns that seem to influence our weather more predictably, MJO events, for example.

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...why-do-we-care

Old 02-19-2019, 02:44 PM

Friday's predicted high in upper 40s/very low 50s would set a new record for the coldest high temp on that date. That kind of thing rarely happens anymore around here. And it could snow in Carefree. Get out your boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area