Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
This business about AZ being in good shape water wise is the main reason people are so wasteful of this precious resource. AZ is one of the worst offenders (along with CA) when it comes to wasting water. People can't see with their own eyes the dwindling water supplies, so they assume all is good. See what AZ is doing with the Colorado River pact, dragging their feet along with CA in getting this deal done. If this doesn't get approved by all the affected states, the government will make the cuts and AZ will be in even worse shape than with the drought pact.

Since Las Vegas gets 90% of it's water from Lake Mead and can see the bath tub rings around it, they take water conservation much more seriously up there. They can SEE the issue for themselves. Yes a wet winter will help SOME, but we're by no means out of the woods for good.

As other posters have mentioned, it will take YEARS of very wet winters to get back to a normal level for our reservoirs. We have to continue water conservation, not slack off because of one wet winter. Look at CA, few years ago they were in a extreme drought. Then had a very wet winter and came out of it. They started pulling back on conservation, and went back into a drought. So yes it can be bust and boom when it comes to water, but there is no guarantee it will always work that way.
timothyaw, what "people are so wasteful of this precious resource" in AZ? I seriously don't think it is homeowners and businesses in Phoenix metro. I don't see it. About 75% of my neighbors have desert landscaping. But, A case can be made that growing alfalfa in the desert is "wasteful", and like Ponderosa said, agriculture uses the bulk of Arizona's water (for crops, livestock, or both.)

If you want a short lesson on extreme water use in the southwest, read up on the Imperial Valley (CA). The farmers there secured water rights VERY early on. The Imperial Valley, while it does provide a ton of winter produce for the nation, uses an UN- believable amount of surface water (Colorado River water). Look it up. They sold some of their water rights to San Diego (for a pretty penny) several yrs ago because San Diego needed it so badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:59 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,776 times
Well it's official, AZ will not have it's water plan ready on time. Drastic cuts could come by the feds.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/fe...ne-for-key-wa/

Old 02-19-2019, 05:35 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Really? Las Vegas per capita consumption is twice what it is in Phoenix and even more than that with respect to Los Angeles which uses significantly less per capita than Phoenix. I know. It's the fountains and all the water features. Doesn't matter. It is wasteful and LV is the most wasteful city in the west. Phoenix, at least, has alternatives to Colorado water. LV is living on borrowed time.
And that's da truth. Well said Ponderosa.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Well it's official, AZ will not have it's water plan ready on time. Drastic cuts could come by the feds.

The plan was signed.

https://azbigmedia.com/ducey-signs-h...tingency-plan/

Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:

They're working out the complex details. It could have been done earlier, of course, but it's doubtful that the Feds will get involved as long as things are progressing. Heck, with Trump in office the Feds might end up giving California's allocation to Arizona!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:38 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
This business about AZ being in good shape water wise is the main reason people are so wasteful of this precious resource.
Don't shoot the messenger. Like the overwhelming majority of people, when my wallet is impacted, I will adjust and adapt accordingly. As an example: back in 2008 when gas was $4 a gallon, people were waiting in line for a Prius. Walk down memory lane by clicking on this 2008 article https://www.wired.com/2008/07/supply-and-dema/ . And Ford (which announced last year they are pretty much getting out of the car building business) was ramping up small car production in 2008 while winding down gas guzzlers (see https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/business/22ford.html )

The message is, we want everyone else to conserve. You know, like the hypocrite Al Gore and his 10,000 square foot home.

So if it is really really important to cut back on water, it will automatically happen when I open up my water bill and it doubles. I'll stop taking 20 minute showers with 5 spray jets and I'll ctu back using 10,000 gallons to water my plants and grass in July when I am not here. Until then, I really do want Arizona to conserve water! But I'd much rather have everyone else conserve water versus me. Unlike Al Gore, I'm being honest. So the only complete solution is to raise the price of the product. When that happens, watch me swap out my grass and plants.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
I heard on KTAR this morning that this February is officially setting up to be the coldest we have had in decades. By the end of the month we still average 6 degrees below average.

I'm over it! Would south Florida have been a better choice back in 2013 when I was considering it?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
And that's da truth. Well said Ponderosa.

As I mentioned earlier, Las Vegas as a whole doesn't come close to using their allocation of Colorado river water. Could they improve, of course. All municipalities could, especially here in Phoenix.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

Signed but not done. As Ponderosa mentioned, they are working out the complex details still.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I heard on KTAR this morning that this February is officially setting up to be the coldest we have had in decades. By the end of the month we still average 6 degrees below average.

I'm over it! Would south Florida have been a better choice back in 2013 when I was considering it?

If it's too cold for you leave. You've always said that no one has to stay in a place and be unhappy

I'm enjoying this, as we all know the BIG HEAT will be here soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area