Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times

Advertisements

15 stories seems awfully tall for that part of town so more than anything I'm curious about their economic reasoning. That kind of steel construction isn't cheap and I'm surprised they think they can get the rents to justify the costs. Most of the new apartment buildings I've seen somewhat nearby (like the new ones near Central and McDowell) are the stick-built 4- and 5-story type buildings that are a lot cheaper to build.

Here's an article explaining why we're seeing so, so many of those type of apartment buildings going up all over the place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ment-buildings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:22 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
15 stories seems awfully tall for that part of town so more than anything I'm curious about their economic reasoning. That kind of steel construction isn't cheap and I'm surprised they think they can get the rents to justify the costs. Most of the new apartment buildings I've seen somewhat nearby (like the new ones near Central and McDowell) are the stick-built 4- and 5-story type buildings that are a lot cheaper to build.

Here's an article explaining why we're seeing so, so many of those type of apartment buildings going up all over the place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ment-buildings
That condo tower on Osborn/12th St seems to work. I’d tie it to the country club

Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
15 stories is not "awfully tall". It's barely classified as a highrise. Also, it's expected to consist of luxury apartments, and there is definitely an economic base in that area which can support it. It will blend in very nicely with the area. Crystal Point at 12th Street & Osborn is a luxury condo tower at 18 stories which has been in existence for almost 30 years. The whole opposition is ridiculous. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation, and these kinds of buildings should be no big deal in a city this size. Maybe in Cave Creek or Anthem I could understand the protests, but not in central Phoenix!

You're correct that many of the new apartment buildings are cheaply built 4 & 5 story buildings ... and this something we don't need more of. Downtown and the Central Corridor should have more quality built highrises consisting of 30, 40, 50, 60 stories. The 5, 10, 15, and 20 story buildings can be reserved for the outer parts of downtown & midtown, such as the area of this proposed building which the Coronado NIMBYs are soiling their diapers about.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
The NIMBYism there is obnoxious. There's already that 30 year year old high rise on the north side of Osborn, just across the street from the country club. It does nothing to detract from the character of that area. A stubby little high-rise will do nothing to take away from 7th Street and Thomas. If it was 50+ floors, I could see some eyebrows lifting.

On the other hand, these developments do nothing to make Phoenix look or feel more urban. They're set back from the street, wrapped around with TONS of above ground parking, front streets that are 6/7 lanes wide to move vehicular traffic as quickly as possible, and all look and feel suburban. If this thing gets built, I doubt many people who race up and down 7th Street will even notice it's there.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:27 AM

189 posts, read 231,034 times
The worst take of all this is their slogan "Height is Blight". Are you kidding? They need to approve and build this already.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:19 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
I loved living in Coronado but I steered as far away as possible from local politics. On the community Facebook page for residents of the historic district you would often see posts with over 100 comments with people complaining or defending the roof line of someone's new remodel.

A classic FB post revolved around a gay bar on McDowell that had issues with patrons doing drugs and having public sex in the alleyways and side streets closest to the bar. There was actually a small and vocal contingent that defended such behavior because of "diversity". It was unreal at times.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:22 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
https://www.azfamily.com/video/phoen...2cbf3fa64.html

I was literally shaking my head when I watched this video, especially the segments when the woman was standing in her yard adamantly opposing the highrise. Her house & yard definitely aren't the most attractive (and neither is she for that matter), but here she is worrying about the aesthetics of the neighborhood and the property values. She needs to worry more about the condition of her own house & yard before meddling into other people's business! But what can you expect? She's a typical NIMBY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area