Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:03 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times

Advertisements

https://www.azfamily.com/news/phoeni...2370be6f0.html

NIMBYs are at it again ... this time in the Coronado neighborhood where a highrise is proposed. The ones who are against it claim it would increase traffic, disrupt "tranqulity", invade privacy, and decrease property values. Seriously??? Coronado is a centralized district where high traffic volumes already exist ... therefore, the amount of tranquility and privacy is highly questionable. As far as property values, this would be a luxury apartment building (not a factory or a sewage treatment plant), so it could actually increase property values!

These NIMBYs obviously have nothing better to do with their time except be troublemakers. If they hate highrises and traffic so much, why the hell are they living the middle of the nation's 5th largest city?! I can think of many smaller towns in AZ and in other nearby states where they would be happier. But apparently, NIMBYs are only happy when they're unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 05:32 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
I see the point that the tower is a bit outside the CBD but anything that mitigates sprawl should be supported imo

Old 02-21-2019, 06:01 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times
Bring it down the street to Eastlake, we'll take it!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:17 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Hmm...all real concerns and it has happened all over the Valley. The property value fear can be debated ad nauseum...studies have shown no impact, negative impact and positive impact...so it all depends. The increase in traffic etc is common sense. You pack in a bunch of people in a 15 story building in that neighborhood and there is going to be an increase in crowding. Traffic, grocery store, local amenities etc. It has happened in Chandler as well with huge mega-apartment complexes going in where the residents need to shop and the kids pack into the schools. There is a couple huge luxury complexes going up on Germann and McQueen that are all going to feed into Hamilton High School...already the largest High School by student population in AZ.

As far as the building in concerned...7th St is not that far removed from the towers on Central over to 3rd St. and there is a big demand for housing in that area. The homes in adjacent neighborhoods range from dumps to million dollar homes but with UHaul, CenturyLink, St. Joe's being right there...along with a not too bad school district...I could see the desire to be in the area.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I lived in the Coronado District for over 3 years, let's just say the local neighborhood message board could get quite vocal. Loved the location and my fellow neighbors, but there was a segment who lived in Coronado with nothing better to do than complain about everything. Personally I would rather spend my time and effort on keeping out the homeless guys on drugs and getting some of the local slum lords to fix up or sell their houses.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
I mean it's proposed to be built on 7th street. If they were building it on 12th street I could see a problem but 7th street is a major thruway on the edge of the neighborhood. And it's not like they are trying to bulldoze historic homes to build it either.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I mean it's proposed to be built on 7th street. If they were building it on 12th street I could see a problem but 7th street is a major thruway on the edge of the neighborhood. And it's not like they are trying to bulldoze historic homes to build it either.
I lived near that corner of Coronado and am quite familiar with it. Either walked my dogs or ran near 7th Street and Thomas almost every day. Country Club Park is a distinct historic district from Coronado and in my mind the best part of the overall Coronado area. The circle park in the neighborhood is one of my favorite tiny urban parks. My guess is if this was being built on the 16th Street side of Coronado there would be nary a complaint.

That being said, you already see tall buildings when you walk around that part of the neighborhood. For me that was one of the nice things about it, felt like you actually lived in a big city with an urban feel.

The downside of all those complexes is increased traffic. It was such a pain to get in and out of the neighborhood during rush hour.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
But they are talking about building this on the NE corner of the intersection...where the parking lot is for PCC...not sure what they are going to do for parking after it is built but...okay. So they are worried that the tenants are going to be looking over at their neighborhood? This won't have anything to do with the Country Club Oval...

Old 02-21-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
But they are talking about building this on the NE corner of the intersection...where the parking lot is for PCC...not sure what they are going to do for parking after it is built but...okay. So they are worried that the tenants are going to be looking over at their neighborhood? This won't have anything to do with the Country Club Oval...
On the SE corner of that intersection is a distinct historic district called Country Club Park. In the middle of that district is a small neighborhood park. People think that neighborhood is part of the Coronado Historic district but it's not. I've moved out of the neighborhood but still have a lot of friends that still do.

The people that can afford the Country Club District tend to be slightly more affluent than the Coronado residents down the street and they are the ones complaining the loudest about the proposed tower. I drove through the area last week when I was in town for business and the signs opposing the tower seem to fade away the further south and east you get from 7th Street & Thomas.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Even on 12th Street it shouldn't be an issue because it's still in a centralized area where density & upward development are more encouraged. Besides, Crystal Point is at 12th Street & Osborn, which is an 18 story condo building, and has been in existence since 1990. What's the big deal about this proposed project? It barely qualifies as a highrise. I could possibly understand some opposition if it was proposed for Fountain Hills or some outlying suburb, but it's slated for the midtown area where height is no big deal. These stupid NIMBYs seriously need to move elsewhere if things like this bother them so much, but you know they won't move. They seem to be content being malcontents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area