Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,728 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you to anyone that can provide me with feedback. I am a NJ resident looking to relocate to the Phoenix area in a few months. I am currently disabled and receive housing assistance. I have theee young children and have found the search for a nice rental exhausting. No one is willing to accept a section 8 voucher. I am a good parent, neighbor and all around human being. I take care of my rental as if it were my own home. My children are well behaved. I’m not sure I understand the hesitancy by home owners to accept a voucher. In NJ at least in my experience, as long as you have a good rental history, many landlords prefer this because they are guaranteed monthly rent by the federal government. At this point I am praying for a miracle. I do not want to live in a bad area. If anyone has any feedback it would be well appreciated.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:37 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
I used to live next door to a house owned by a landlord that had 5-6 properties and all were Section 8. As a homeowner I would be hesitant to ever live next door to a Section 8 rental ever again. Sounds like you are the outlier that some landlords would love to have. But from personal experience living next to a Section 8 rental for 7 years the reality is I had to put up with gang members simply hanging out in front of the house in a decent suburban neighborhood drinking beer all day. Drug use was a constant issue, didn't like pot smoke wafting over into my yard and into my house. Petty theft was also an issue, I'd find my car was broken into and rifled through a few times a year and I could tell by the trail of footprints and trash that led to my neighbor's house who was doing it.

The other thing landlords will be hesitant about is lack of rental history in the Phoenix area. Friends of mine that are landlords will only rent to people that they can meet in person, get a security deposit and has a local rental reference or two.

Not to rain on your parade, but these are the things that landlords and your potential new neighbors worry about.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruth7771 View Post
Hello and thank you to anyone that can provide me with feedback. I am a NJ resident looking to relocate to the Phoenix area in a few months. I am currently disabled and receive housing assistance. I have theee young children and have found the search for a nice rental exhausting. No one is willing to accept a section 8 voucher. I am a good parent, neighbor and all around human being. I take care of my rental as if it were my own home. My children are well behaved. I’m not sure I understand the hesitancy by home owners to accept a voucher. In NJ at least in my experience, as long as you have a good rental history, many landlords prefer this because they are guaranteed monthly rent by the federal government. At this point I am praying for a miracle. I do not want to live in a bad area. If anyone has any feedback it would be well appreciated.
Trust me, landlords know exactly how the Section 8 program works. And still they pass up that sweet "guaranteed monthly rent." Want to know why?

I expect it's because Arizona has landlord-friendly rental laws. That means a landlord with a problem tenant can get him out fairly quickly and get the property re-rented to someone else. Unless it's a Section 8 rental, in which case all kinds of conditions have to be met.

As a former landlord, my bet is that landlords aren't signing up for Section 8 because they don't need the guaranteed rent and all the hassles such as inspections, late checks from the Housing Authority, tenants who destroy the unit, tenants who won't pay their small portion of the rent, etc.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,701 times
My daughter knows a woman who is renting a Section 8 home for herself and her children. In order to find a Section 8 home [which are in short-supply here], she did have to "settle" in a less desirable neighborhood with higher crime rates on the west side of Phoenix. So far, though, nothing bad has happened and things are working out fine.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
You may be an outstanding tenant, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. People are less likely to care for something that doesn't belong to them and this is even worse when it isn't your money that is paying the rent.

I'm not going to say exactly how due to not wanting to violate any policies with the employer. However, my household has someone with a job that services the public and those in section 8 housing. By far, the neighborhoods with section 8 housing are the worst to deal with and have the most problems. 90% of the time is spent on dealing with problems from those in these neighborhoods.

I suspect that most landlords don't want to have to deal with these problems. Knowing what I know, I would never accept section 8 in a rental I owned.

Hopefully you can find a decent place for you and your family. The cost of living is better here than what you have in NJ so the rest of your dollars will go further.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:46 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
Sec 8 is still no excuse to have a terrible credit score, but they act like they deserve the red carpet treatment anyways. Most don't have pets..maybe the only plus, but hoarders, leaky cars, roach breeding, uneducated, irresponsible, financially incompetent, but always knowledgeable about tenant law protection. ...that's the section 8 I know. And the nerve to complain about the neighborhood....hint:. there are no good neighborhoods that take Sec 8....and there is a reason why people pay a premium to NOT live in them.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:56 PM

Wow. I thank you all for your feedback but I am surprised about the stigma surrounding section 8. While I know there are applicants that donor care for their properties there are also good tenants on this program. I can only speak for myself so I retract. A lot of negativity and anger.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruth7771 View Post
Wow. I thank you all for your feedback but I am surprised about the stigma surrounding section 8. While I know there are applicants that donor care for their properties there are also good tenants on this program. I can only speak for myself so I retract. A lot of negativity and anger.

Really? Why? Do you think it's the type of feature that will help with the appreciation of my real estate investment?

Old 02-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Why would having a tenant with section 8 depreciate your real estate property? Would their be a sign posted outside your home saying section 8 tenant resides here?

Old 02-28-2019, 03:31 PM

I prefer to keep any feedback as positive as possible so if you have negative things to say please do t comment. Thank you to this if you who have posted with encouragement. I’m not saying to withhold facts. Maybe I am posting on the wrong forum. I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the ohoenix area, the people, the beautiful landscape, the diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: