Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,306,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
What does this have to do with respect?

Broad is slang, it's not derogatory in any way. It was originally used as a compliment.

You guys are simply taking things out of context.
Definitions of words sometimes change. This is one example

"Broad", especially used in the context you did, IS derogatory. And no, "we" did not take it out of context.

YOU improperly used the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,430,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Definitions of words sometimes change. This is one example

"Broad", especially used in the context you did, IS derogatory. And no, "we" did not take it out of context.

YOU improperly used the term.
No, it's not derogatory, it's just slang.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM

44,662 posts, read 61,751,282 times
Here are a dozen or more sites telling you that you are in the minority, and that in the text you use 'broad' is definitly a derogatory slang.
Get over it, you're not always right you know.
Broad a name derogatory to women - Google Search

Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here are a dozen or more sites telling you that you are in the minority, and that in the text you use 'broad' is definitly a derogatory slang.
Get over it, you're not always right you know.
Broad a name derogatory to women - Google Search
I found just as many sites claiming it's only slang.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM

It doesn't matter what you found, it's a double entendre word that is still a derogatory word to women, just like 'bi-ch' is a name for a female dog it is also a derogatory word for women.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM

609 posts, read 2,120,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
My husbands elderly Uncle has just informed us that he wants to give my husband and my husband's sister his house in Sun City West. It is in a 55 and over community. He has no children.

My sister-in-law is recently divorced and is considering moving in with the Uncle as he really needs somebody around now since he was recently widowed and is in poor health. He is 88, my husband and I are in our 40s and my sister-in-law is 40. She also happens to be a nurse, so it could work out great for everybody (we hate the idea of him being all alone, but my DH and I are not ready to move right at the moment)

We have so many questions...what happens if the Uncle adds my DH and/or sister-in-law to his deed and then he dies? Is she/they forced to sell the house or must it be rented out until somebody hits 55...or what? What if it is put on the market but does not sell? I know they make exceptions for widows under 55. Is there a way to file for an exemption? If not, how long do you have before you must vacate the property? There are no people under 40 involved in any way. Uncle claims people "will not make waves" as long as you get along well with the neighbors and take good of things, but that sounds iffy to me.

BTW the house is about 25 yrs old and is NOT in a gated community, if that matters.

Any help is appreciated. I tried to call a few SCW numbers but nobody I spoke with seemed to know where to point me. I even e-mailed to SCW Visitors Center and never got a response.

Other than all that where does one find the SCW general ordinances? It's strange I can find info on every city EXCEPT SCW.
Federal law states that 80% of the community must be 55plus, the remainder is open to others.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what you found, it's a double entendre word that is still a derogatory word to women, just like 'bi-ch' is a name for a female dog it is also a derogatory word for women.
Are you seriously comparing the word broad to the word *****? It's not the same thing, ***** is a curse word, broad is not.

Just because YOU find it offensive doesn't make it so, broad is NOT offensive nor is it derogatory, it's just slang.

God your ignorant.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM

You're the ignorant one. Too bad you have such low esteem and such distate for women. It's been shown and proven to you that the word broad has derogatory connotation, most everyone agrees about the meaning but you, who seem to be in denial and as a spoiled brat that wants to have the last word, just like many of your other antagonizing threads you've posted or responded to.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,503,597 times
OP,
I'm in my middle 40's. I did inherit a home in Sun City 3 years ago. I am legally allowed to own it. Technically, I can't live in the home without someone 55 or older living WITH me.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
You're the ignorant one. Too bad you have such low esteem and such distate for women. It's been shown and proven to you that the word broad has derogatory connotation, most everyone agrees about the meaning but you, who seem to be in denial and as a spoiled brat that wants to have the last word, just like many of your other antagonizing threads you've posted or responded to.
I made a simple statement, and everyone took it out of context, not me. I did not use it in a derogatory manner, because it's only slang.

Nothing has been proven, maybe you should do some research, broad is just slang.

Why are you making a big deal out of nothing? Do you really have nothing better to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area