Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times

Advertisements

They (saguaro) can also become sun burned (not sure what the specifics are, but probably more of a problem on recently transplanted cacti.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Just as we had established that the previous owners of our home had been overwatering like crazy ($1200/month water bill!), part of a large saguaro in front of the house came down overnight. It's clearly because of the excessive watering over the long term.
I'm confused. Overwatering usually causes the whole plant to topple over from its own weight. Is it just the arm (arm socket) shown in the photo? Judging by the ooze, it does look like the cactus is a goner. But I'm not sure that is a product of too much water. Perhaps it's a woodpecker hole gone bad. Can you put up a picture that shows the whole plant?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
OP your picture shows the signs of saguaro "bacterial disease".
https://agriculture.az.gov/sites/def...%20of%20Ag.pdf

Watering of landscape cacti, rule of thumb, if in doubt don't water, mother nature has a habit of taking care of it's own.
Saguaros are naturally ribbed for expansion and contraction for it's water conservation.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
I'm confused. Overwatering usually causes the whole plant to topple over from its own weight. Is it just the arm (arm socket) shown in the photo? Judging by the ooze, it does look like the cactus is a goner. But I'm not sure that is a product of too much water. Perhaps it's a woodpecker hole gone bad. Can you put up a picture that shows the whole plant?
I'll try to get better photos tomorrow. The top 1/3rd of the saguaro is thoroughly necrotic.

We had an irrigation company out last Saturday to help us figure out why the water bill for the property is $1,200 a month and why water is seeping through the block wall on one side into our neighbor's yard. What we discovered was that while there are 18 zones, they all get water three times a week all-year-round. So the saguaros were being constantly watered.

I wasn't expecting to see the results so soon, though. :-(

Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP your picture shows the signs of saguaro "bacterial disease".
https://agriculture.az.gov/sites/def...%20of%20Ag.pdf

Watering of landscape cacti, rule of thumb, if in doubt don't water, mother nature has a habit of taking care of it's own.
Saguaros are naturally ribbed for expansion and contraction for it's water conservation.

That's a great link, thank you.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,790 times
I will check my controllers programming see what's what.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'll try to get better photos tomorrow. The top 1/3rd of the saguaro is thoroughly necrotic.

As of last week, the entire saguaro is necrotic. Three more arms have detached. I speculate the warm weather has increased the rate of bacterial growth. There are large horizontal cracks near the base and about 2/3rds of the way up.

Sad that something that old can be brought low so quickly.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM

23,262 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
As of last week, the entire saguaro is necrotic. Three more arms have detached. I speculate the warm weather has increased the rate of bacterial growth. There are large horizontal cracks near the base and about 2/3rds of the way up.

Sad that something that old can be brought low so quickly.
Very sad. Such magnificent beings! Also to realize you won't be around to see a replacement's maturity.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Very sad. Such magnificent beings! Also to realize you won't be around to see a replacement's maturity.
Well, if you follow the book you won’t - but a slightly over-watered saguaro can grow much faster than a wild one. We bought a 3 ft saguaro spear & unintentionally over-watered it to about 8 feet in maybe 4-5 years or so. We set up two watering zones & just guessed at the settings- we did once a week for like 1/2 hour for the saguaro & the other cacti & they got big really quick.. I shut the zone off completely after realizing the mistake, but I’m quite pleased with the results.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Overwatering and or fertilizing a saguaro even a little bit can create an unnatural spurt of growth, which can weaken the cacti's structure and cause, albeit slow, premature death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area