Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:23 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

Just as we had established that the previous owners of our home had been overwatering like crazy ($1200/month water bill!), part of a large saguaro in front of the house came down overnight. It's clearly because of the excessive watering over the long term.

There are a few disturbed bees buzzing around now. I stupidly went over to look but didn't get stung. And then I remembered about Africanized bees. I understand they like to build hives in saguaros.

I intend to stay clear for the time being -- but should I get a bee expert out to take a look at this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 04:25 PM

673 posts, read 466,466 times
No need to water Saguaros...........I have over fifty and never do I water them. Let naatcha' do it. Forget the bees, get that dead Saguaro out of there, or hire it done......problem solved

Old 03-04-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
No need to water Saguaros...........I have over fifty and never do I water them. Let naatcha' do it. Forget the bees, get that dead Saguaro out of there, or hire it done......problem solved

I'm a little confused because for a time we were looking at homes that had NAOS (Natural Area Open Space). We were assured by our agent that our property wasn't subject to that but in such areas you are not allowed to remove a saguaro that has fallen, no matter how unsightly it might look, unless it's an actual hazard and even then I think you have to get approval from the City of Scottsdale.

So I'll assume our agent was correct this time and go forward with removal. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
You can do whatever you want with a saguaro or any other cacti on private property. If it's fallen over, diseased, died etc you as an owner can dispose of it without any consequences.
If it's still standing and alive and transferable then you are suppose to get a permit from the State Agriculture Dept to move it off of your ppty and showing where it will be transplanted to.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:40 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
I'm no xeriscape expert, but I disagree about "never water a saguaro". I think it's more accurate to say, water your saguaro infrequently once it's established, and only in the summer. Correct me if I'm wrong, cactus lovers.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'm no xeriscape expert, but I disagree about "never water a saguaro". I think it's more accurate to say, water your saguaro infrequently once it's established, and only in the summer. Correct me if I'm wrong, cactus lovers.

I found several citations giving the same advice. This from U of Arizona Extension:

Due to our drier and hotter climate, water your Saguaro in the summer months. Place a hose about five feet away from the trunk once a month for about 30 minutes. That is all that is needed; no watering in the winter is required.

I also found this interesting:

A mortally wounded or fallen Saguaro, like some trees, can live up to 10 years on its stored reserves, even flowering in a last ditch effort to propagate.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:13 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
I've raised cactus for years, in both Illinois and Arizona, and had a 6 foot tall Saguaro in a giant pot in Illinois, and I would definitely water one here in may/june/july/aug/sept once a month, but, thats it, and, if it was a heavy monsoon month during those months, I would skip the water that month completely..

Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 AM

If your plants are in a pot then yes, a little water. Why...with summer months the pot heats up and put stress on the roots.
There is a fancy hotel in Tucson on the west side that have Saguaro growing on the rock hills over looking the hotel. They have been there for decades.

I'm no expert. The fine line of watering different cactus still has me baffled as their needs vary. It continues to amaze me how these plants can live in such harsh conditions with little to no care. I look forward to more opinions

Old 03-05-2019, 07:32 AM

This looks like what the experts call bacterial necrosis, a black sticky fluid:

Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 AM

It may be to late but........perhaps there is a cure? Damn.......that's a mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area