Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:24 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times

Advertisements

There was a Safeway store across the street from my subdivision in Tucson that closed a few months ago. One big reason was that it had been an old ABCO store before it became a Safeway. The store was too small to be profitable, no way to squeeze in a pharmacy counter into the location. I chatted with the leasing agent about the property and he told me that a lot of these older Safeways and Albertsons are too small to be profitable as grocery stores and too big to be stand alone pharmacies. When the leasing agent passed along the information to every other grocery related chain in Arizona about this empty building, they all took a pass.

The grocery business is pretty tough, need to have the ideal neighborhood demographics to make it work. I used to have a job going into grocery stores to do marketing campaigns for various companies and went into a ton of Safeways and Albertsons in the Phoenix area. The stores that Safeway are remodeling and upgrading have a new and improved pharmacy area along with those tiny medical clinics. Walk into any Albertsons store and it feels like 1985 inside of the store, dated and worn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 08:14 AM

356 posts, read 281,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Walk into any Albertsons store and it feels like 1985 inside of the store, dated and worn out.
That's what I like about Albertsons. No one is shopping there so you are in and out fast! My closest Albertsons is across the street from Safeway too, and I can't imagine both of them remaining for too long. Especially now that ads are combined and they have the same things on sale at the same time for the same prices. It's redundant. The only grocery stores missing in the immediate vicinity are Whole Foods and Trader Joes. I'm not a huge fan of either, but I think our area could support either one.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just moved into the area, and I'm disgusted with Whole Foods. Certainly an area like Surprise, Sun City West, and this whole end of the valley could support a Whole Foods. But nope.

You're disgusted with Whole Foods because you chose to move to an area without a Whole Foods?

Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
One thing that a new Whole Foods store in that location would bring to the area is that it would likely enable Prime Now delivery in Queen Creek. All of Gilbert is included in Prime Now, but Queen Creek is left out.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
I was at that Albertsons today, and according to an employee, right now no new tenants signed a lease for the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area