Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 01:32 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,229 times

Advertisements

I'm ok with our home improvement stores. I wanted to emphasis the most important thing is to use quality and standard parts for which you can easily get replacement parts. NEVER EVER cheap out on parts... learned that lesson the hard way. Same for the cars... OEM quality only for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 01:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,987,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
My only experience with such places is with Home Depot and Lowe's. When we moved here in 1979 they didn't exist yet, at least not here. The biggest deal around was O'Malley's. I tend to prefer Lowe's over Home Depot, but the best bet when looking for something is to go where there are both of them near the same location. There are no big box stores in midtown so we have to go a distance to get to one. I head to the Lowe's at 75th Ave and McDowell, there is a Home Depot across the intersection. I think that the competition keeps both stores on their toes in terms of selection and customer service.

At the end of the day I prefer Ace Hardware when a big box store isn't needed.
I’m with you. My house is old and needs nearly constant little things fixed each weekend. If I can get what I need at Ace that’s where I’m going.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,063,619 times
You ask why I crowed about Menards? Here's some of why I did.

Not only is the selection on everything excellent, but they have, for example, porcelain 24"x24" pavers, loads of other landscape construction materials; a display of an insulated concrete form (if you want to build a house using that great technology); dozens and dozens of siding and roofing displays you can touch (not just pictures in a brochure; and believe it or not even some food items.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:13 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,017,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

Not only is the selection on everything excellent, but they have, for example, porcelain 24"x24" pavers, loads of other landscape construction materials; a display of an insulated concrete form (if you want to build a house using that great technology); dozens and dozens of siding and roofing displays you can touch (not just pictures in a brochure; and believe it or not even some food items.
But you have to endure the Menard's jingle when you shop.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:03 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,178,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

Okay...really just curious, I haven't ever been in one so nothing to go off of.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
very familiar with Menards, after many years of selling products to John Menard directly,(one of the biggest jerks I ever met, and I've sold to Walmart, Costco, Sears, et al) They screw their suppliers every chance they get, and, if you look very closely, ALOT of the major national brands are not sold there for this reason and others..
That being said, they do carry everything from Clothes to Candy, to rebar, and appliances, but for me, when it comes to "big box" home centers, they are the LAST choice I would ever make..If Ace Hardware was closer to me, that would be my choice, but I have Home Depot and Lowes 5 minutes away, so they usually win out..

Old 08-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
very familiar with Menards, after many years of selling products to John Menard directly,(one of the biggest jerks I ever met, and I've sold to Walmart, Costco, Sears, et al) They screw their suppliers every chance they get, and, if you look very closely, ALOT of the major national brands are not sold there for this reason and others..
That being said, they do carry everything from Clothes to Candy, to rebar, and appliances, but for me, when it comes to "big box" home centers, they are the LAST choice I would ever make..If Ace Hardware was closer to me, that would be my choice, but I have Home Depot and Lowes 5 minutes away, so they usually win out..
OK, I'm saddened to learn this (if it's true.) I despise bully bosses and business owners.

BTW, their little in-store jingle, "Save Big Money at Menards" didn't annoy me at all. I was too busy looking at everything to get annoyed.

Another thought: I find it interesting to visit other parts of the country to get a feel for different locales. On my trip, I noticed more overweight people there than in metro Phoenix overall, but they were generally friendly for the most part. I also realized I wouldn't want to live in a town of 24,000 population.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:52 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
well, he doesn't "lower" himself to interact with store employees, he just annoys his management team and vendors..He's a very wealthy man, and acts like he is better than you..Not unlike many very wealthy business owners, but he is near the top of jerkdom, IMO..

I could tell you stories of things he said and did to me and my company for years, but, it really doesn't matter anymore, I'm way past all that, but would never shop there unless it was an emergency.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM

51 posts, read 29,567 times
I prefer Lowe's too.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, he doesn't "lower" himself to interact with store employees, he just annoys his management team and vendors..He's a very wealthy man, and acts like he is better than you..Not unlike many very wealthy business owners, but he is near the top of jerkdom, IMO..

I could tell you stories of things he said and did to me and my company for years, but, it really doesn't matter anymore, I'm way past all that, but would never shop there unless it was an emergency.
You and I could chat about our experiences with "jerk bosses" and "arrogant business owners" over a beer sometime. My second to last supervisor was an arrogant "jerk". I seriously hope there is some sort of "karma" as payback/revenge for nasty people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area