Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,053,206 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I just got back from a short trip to the midwest (Illinois.) While there, I went into the town's Menards store.
I was SO impressed!! I probably spent over two hours there looking at all the items!!

If you're not familiar with Menards, it's the #3 home improvement store in the nation, behind Lowe's and Home Depot. It's a privately owned company based in Eau Claire, WI. Their stores are only in the midwest states unfortunately. BTW, Menards ranked TOP in customer satisfaction by JD Power in 2018.

After looking at all Menards had to offer, I felt shortchanged that we (in AZ) are stuck with only Home Depot and Lowe's. Has anyone else been disappointed by the two big box leaders?

Another point: Are all valley Home Depot and Lowe's stores the same?, or are some bigger and better than others? I always head to the ones closest to me (West Chandler.) This may be the case; For example, I know not all Walmarts are "created equal"-- some are massive and impressive and some are just so so.

Let me know your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 05:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
I'm a fairly active home rehabber here so I occasionally find myself in hardware/home improvement stores. If I know what I want I pop into the Lowe's at Fulton Ranch and pick it up without issue. If I need help with a certain bolt size or have a question I go to the Ace Hardware as they are more helpful. I've never had a problem or a need for "more" from a hardware store, I'm fine as it is.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,257 times
My only experience with such places is with Home Depot and Lowe's. When we moved here in 1979 they didn't exist yet, at least not here. The biggest deal around was O'Malley's. I tend to prefer Lowe's over Home Depot, but the best bet when looking for something is to go where there are both of them near the same location. There are no big box stores in midtown so we have to go a distance to get to one. I head to the Lowe's at 75th Ave and McDowell, there is a Home Depot across the intersection. I think that the competition keeps both stores on their toes in terms of selection and customer service.

At the end of the day I prefer Ace Hardware when a big box store isn't needed.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:12 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,280,548 times
Menards is the best. Just as Meijer is the best grocery store. Both private, Midwest companies.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 AM

1,013 posts, read 980,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Menards is the best. Just as Meijer is the best grocery store. Both private, Midwest companies.
They have these in Phoenix?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
For Lowes you look online and you can see if it is in stock, what aisle, and what bin #, and I think how many. If your local store doesn't have it you can check the next closest one.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Meijer has slipped as they expanded. My hometown Meijer, the Grand Haven store and others are just "meh".

Old 08-04-2019, 10:11 AM

720 posts, read 735,740 times
I prefer Lowe's than Home Depot as they have more of a selection - just redid my kitchen and cabinet handles as an example Home Depot a bit disappointing, Lowe's pleasantly surprised! Ace is right down the street from me as wel.... so more than enough for me

Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,732,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
For Lowes you look online and you can see if it is in stock, what aisle, and what bin #, and I think how many. If your local store doesn't have it you can check the next closest one.

Home Depot too. That's the only way I'll use them.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:06 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
We used to have an Ace just down the street...I always stopped in there to see if they had what I needed. Unfortunately 90% of the time they didn't so I had to go to Home Depot/Lowe's. The Fulton Ranch locations are right across the street from each other so it makes it convenient. Home Depot seems to stock more of the "I need to replace this piece in my standard build home" construction type materials while Lowe's has the "I want to replace this whole thing" upgraded stuff. Really easy to comparison shop between the 2 as well...when we put in our new countertops, both stores had the granite we wanted but Lowe's was the least expensive of the 2 for the same material, installations, etc. Plus I was able to use my 10% Veteran Discount...which was nice. Apparently they both use the same slab company in town.

That being said...I have never really crowed about a hardware store so...what exactly about Menards is it that impressed you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area