Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy450 View Post
There is no way to adapt I've lived here 28 years and dread the summers. Phoenix is barley habitable in the summer. The Winters are the only reason to live here.

You know its hot when you walk out in your flip flops and they melt in the pavement.
People are different. I adapted to the summers very well. Today I was jet skiing on Canyon Lake. 110 degrees splashing around on the water is heavenly.
Personally I like the heat.
Also, if your flippies are melting on the pavement, you're buying the wrong flip flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Outside air isn't necessarily "fresh." It all depends.
Especially now with the high pollution warnings that are commonly associated with excessive heat warnings. Summer is the absolute worst time to be in Phoenix if somebody is looking for "fresh air" and comfortable temperatures. Hiking/exercising outside this time of year is one of the most idiotic things a person can do. Talk about stinky armpits and crotches!

Those who refuse to join a fitness center make all kinds of excuses, but it really comes down to the fact that they don't want to pay the membership fees, and would rather have freebies: free parking, free access to trails, and free rescues should they become overheated or disoriented.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Especially now with the high pollution warnings that are commonly associated with excessive heat warnings. Summer is the absolute worst time to be in Phoenix if somebody is looking for "fresh air" and comfortable temperatures. Hiking/exercising outside this time of year is one of the most idiotic things a person can do. Talk about stinky armpits and crotches!

Those who refuse to join a fitness center make all kinds of excuses, but it really comes down to the fact that they don't want to pay the membership fees, and would rather have freebies: free parking, free access to trails, and free rescues should they become overheated or disoriented.
Also, they don't really like to exercise and stay in shape.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:33 PM

105 posts, read 84,922 times
Quote:

I'm guessing your post is intended to be a bit tongue in cheek. Many of the county parks in Maricopa county have entry fees so access isn't always free. I realize that many trails are free to access.

Fitness Centers love the members who pay but don't show up. Make the price low enough and it almost seems they don't have incentive to use what they're paying for. I get my monies worth-$200/yr but reimbursed by health plan after I visit 45 times in a year.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:45 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
I'm guessing your post is intended to be a bit tongue in cheek. Many of the county parks in Maricopa county have entry fees so access isn't always free. I realize that many trails are free to access.
It really wasn't tongue in cheek. If you read the news stories about all the morons who hike on the trails this time of year, you'll see that there are always those who are unprepared & out of shape, and end up having to be rescued, which is a strain on our tax dollars. A good share of these rescues occur on the trails with free access: Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak, etc.

I really can't understand why anybody would want to hike here in the summer. For one thing, the nation's 5th largest city certainly has better things to offer than hiking in a preserve. Hiking always has been associated with getting out of the city and into the wide open spaces where the air is cleaner with no crowds to contend with. Some of the best hikes I've been on were in the White Mountains, northern AZ, Colorado, and more recently in Wyoming ... definitely not anywhere in or around Phoenix!

Old 08-16-2019, 01:29 PM

105 posts, read 84,922 times
Quote:
It really wasn't tongue in cheek. If you read the news stories about all the morons who hike on the trails this time of year, you'll see that there are always those who are unprepared & out of shape, and end up having to be rescued, which is a strain on our tax dollars. A good share of these rescues occur on the trails with free access: Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak, etc.

I really can't understand why anybody would want to hike here in the summer. For one thing, the nation's 5th largest city certainly has better things to offer than hiking in a preserve. Hiking always has been associated with getting out of the city and into the wide open spaces where the air is cleaner with no crowds to contend with. Some of the best hikes I've been on were in the White Mountains, northern AZ, Colorado, and more recently in Wyoming ... definitely not anywhere in or around Phoenix!

I hike Estrella Mtn Regional Park and or Skyline Regional Park whenever we are in town, including summers. These spots are on the outskirts of town and nice in their own ways. (Skyline in particular) The key is starting early. Just like people who go out for morning walks, starting earlier in the summer.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion that people should do something better than to hike there in the summer and regarding getting out of the city. I live in a place that most would probably think is nicer/more conducive to hiking than PHX but only end up hiking when I'm in PHX.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
I grew up in the Midwest, adult life in CA, and recently moved to Phoenix.
Dunno, I feel I have adapted to the heat rather quickly. I know I'm going to live here for sure, so that mental commitment helps me tell my corporal self, get used to it bub, you ain't going anywhere. So you walk the dog as the sun blasts your epidermis off, and during non-soon, you sweat alot more with the high humidity. But it's for a couple months, and it's good to get used to tougher conditions. You turn into a freaking wimp in California beach cities

Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Or do the wise thing and join a fitness center for as little as $10 per month, which is a tiny investment for the long term benefits: getting in shape in an air cooled environment, which carries fewer risks than exercising out in the heat. Even in the early mornings it can be in the 90s, and we have to remember that the temperatures are taken in the SHADE, so of course it's much hotter out in the direct sunlight.
^^Bolded is incorrect. Read the informational article below.

The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight
In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight. Shade only feels cooler because you are avoiding solar radiation. When in the shade, your skin is not being “heated” by the sun’s rays, so your skin and your body feel a more comfortable temperature.
https://ktar.com/story/2692209/windo...han-windows-7/

Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^Bolded is incorrect. Read the informational article below.

The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight
In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight. Shade only feels cooler because you are avoiding solar radiation. When in the shade, your skin is not being “heated” by the sun’s rays, so your skin and your body feel a more comfortable temperature.
https://ktar.com/story/2692209/windo...han-windows-7/
Corrected link. https://www.azsunblock.com/temperatu...-and-full-sun/

Old 08-18-2019, 01:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
I’ve always just tolerated it. Arizona summers is all I know, I expect a miserable summer and I tolerate it.

Yesterday I went Salt River tubing. I am beyond sunburnt even though I used a lot of sunscreen. I had a few drinks on the river, and it wasn’t until I started carrying two tubes and 20 pounds worth of wet bedsheets (those black tubes burn the heck out of you) up a hill into an un-airconditioned vehicle to drop off the tubes and then wait 20 minutes in the heat (at least shaded) with no water that I felt extreme effects of the heat. And during that entire time on the river I had 6 water bottles in addition to alcoholic beverages. I managed to secure another water bottle during my wait at the tube rental place, but I still wasn’t having it. I had a great time on the river, and I spent the rest of the day and today paying for the consequences of that fun time (not hungover, just badly sunburnt). At least we have very cold water here for some reason, it sort of balances it out.

I think some people are natural to this heat. Someone born and raised should be, but I’m not. I do much better in the cold in comparison to my friends and family. I’ll most likely move at some point because of this. It’s just a matter of finding a good opportunity, and doing it. And I’m sure people who are moving here are thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area