Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 01:09 PM

1,336 posts, read 931,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^Bolded is incorrect. Read the informational article below.

The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight
In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight. Shade only feels cooler because you are avoiding solar radiation. When in the shade, your skin is not being “heated” by the sun’s rays, so your skin and your body feel a more comfortable temperature.
https://ktar.com/story/2692209/windo...han-windows-7/
Good point. I have to keep reminding myself of this actual fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 02:56 PM

66 posts, read 45,743 times
I adapted pretty well to the heat, you can still do things outside and it's better than freezing half the year.
The heat can be bad if you're out in it too long and I wouldn't do any hiking when it's this hot or even go tubing. Plenty of other things to do.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^Bolded is incorrect. Read the informational article below.

The Temperature in the Shade Isn’t Cooler than The Temperature in the Sunlight
In the shade, you may feel 10-15 degrees cooler, but the temperature is the exact same as the temperature in full sunlight. Shade only feels cooler because you are avoiding solar radiation. When in the shade, your skin is not being “heated” by the sun’s rays, so your skin and your body feel a more comfortable temperature.
https://ktar.com/story/2692209/windo...han-windows-7/
But then there is this piece stating something else:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...02-column.html

Quote:
On July 15, 1972, with an air temperature of 128 degrees in Death Valley, Calif., the sun-heated surface soil temperature rose to an incredible 201 degrees.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think some people are natural to this heat. Someone born and raised should be, but I’m not. I do much better in the cold in comparison to my friends and family. I’ll most likely move at some point because of this. It’s just a matter of finding a good opportunity, and doing it. And I’m sure people who are moving here are thinking the same thing.
Everybody is different. I was born & raised here and didn't mind the heat when I was younger, but now I dread summers to the point where I actually look forward to escaping periodically, especially in July & August. I've heard many other natives & long term residents say the same thing: it becomes monotonous and harder to deal with the longer you're here and the older you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliu953 View Post
I adapted pretty well to the heat, you can still do things outside and it's better than freezing half the year.
The heat can be bad if you're out in it too long and I wouldn't do any hiking when it's this hot or even go tubing. Plenty of other things to do.
The bolded parts above are exactly right. There are better things to do than hiking or laying out & getting sunburned. If that's what certain ones prefer, have at it, but anybody who is crazy enough to hike when it's this hot shouldn't even be rescued if they become disoriented. It's survival of the fittest, and if they're out of shape or unprepared, too bad. The coyotes can have them for their next meal.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
But then there is this piece stating something else:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...02-column.html
On July 15, 1972, with an air temperature of 128 degrees in Death Valley, Calif., the sun-heated surface soil temperature rose to an incredible 201 degrees.
Notice that no one ever says that "it's 201 degrees in Death Valley". Weatherman quote air temperatures. Your body is always hotter when the sun hits it. If you want to experience your body temperature even hotter, then wear a black shirt versus a white shirt while you are standing in the sun. The article you linked is simply saying that the air temperature of a thermometer in the shade is accurate because it isn't absorbing solar energy.

That's not to say that your body won't experience a higher air temperature while standing on a larger tar parking lot (even with a white shirt and under an umbrella for shade) because it will. But the air temp in the shade versus in the sun is considered the same but measuring temps in the sun can skew the result. It's all about the accuracy of the measurement and the need to benchmark the data (consistency).

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-19-2019 at 04:06 AM..

Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,268,784 times
I've been riding my bike to work regularly since 08. You can adapt. Pay attention to the signs.

Start small and build. Those of you going to the gym should be doing the same.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/art-20048167

Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 931,802 times
Study heat transfer by: Convection, Conduction, Radiation

I started to, well, because, it's Arizona, and these things are good to know!

Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 AM

872 posts, read 1,001,780 times
Went golfing at Eagle Mountain in FH Saturday. Started around 9:45 and ended at 2:30pm. They had a full schedule and it wasn't so bad. The wind felt nice when you were driving the cart around. The heat doesn't seem to stop people from doing much. Plus the prices right now are great before they are hiked up for the busy season.

Rode my bike and it was nice this morning. 83 degrees and quite dry so no sweating like a sauna

Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Quote:
Everybody is different. I was born & raised here and didn't mind the heat when I was younger, but now I dread summers to the point where I actually look forward to escaping periodically, especially in July & August. I've heard many other natives & long term residents say the same thing: it becomes monotonous and harder to deal with the longer you're here and the older you get.
This must be the case for me. As far as cold weather goes, I’m less tolerable when I was little but I’m still good with it now. My old job I was able to stand up to 30 minutes in a refrigerator without a jacket and did ok. Not ideal but, I find that easier to deal with than being along a cook line in a kitchen. I have a condition that makes me cold intolerant too (supposedly).

And as far as hot weather, I’ve never truly enjoyed it like most other natives. It’s something I put up with. Would I say it’s the worst thing on Earth? No, that’s a Mississippi summer. I’ve worked a variety of field jobs and we don’t have the worst. But I definitely did better when I was in high school operating roller coasters in the summer sun than I do now.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:58 PM

671 posts, read 855,916 times
Quote:
It really wasn't tongue in cheek. If you read the news stories about all the morons who hike on the trails this time of year, you'll see that there are always those who are unprepared & out of shape, and end up having to be rescued, which is a strain on our tax dollars. A good share of these rescues occur on the trails with free access: Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak, etc.

I really can't understand why anybody would want to hike here in the summer. For one thing, the nation's 5th largest city certainly has better things to offer than hiking in a preserve. Hiking always has been associated with getting out of the city and into the wide open spaces where the air is cleaner with no crowds to contend with. Some of the best hikes I've been on were in the White Mountains, northern AZ, Colorado, and more recently in Wyoming ... definitely not anywherekjslas in or around Phoenix!

Yes, but, for complex reasons, being in shape does not make your risk significantly lower. Hiking in this heat is bad for anyone. You are right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area