Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

From the northeast, and looking to retire someplace warm, sunny, and affordable (housing under $200K). Been looking into Sun City - seems like a community with stability, lots of things to do, and is near enough to the cultural activites in Phoenix, and also near the parks for hiking and biking. Is Sun City friendly and convenient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 06:33 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...t-can-you.html

There are numerous posts on Sun City. Try the search bar and you can read through. I have no personal experience though a colleague of mine has a place there that she snowbirds to. She loves the weather there during the winter. She is seldom there during the summer months, however.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:57 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun2sun View Post
From the northeast, and looking to retire someplace warm, sunny, and affordable (housing under $200K). Been looking into Sun City - seems like a community with stability, lots of things to do, and is near enough to the cultural activites in Phoenix, and also near the parks for hiking and biking. Is Sun City friendly and convenient?
I inquired this past month, and finally had to give up. I wanted to buy a small Condo. The few that were for sale either were not approved for VA Mortgages. Or the HOA Fees were higher than the Mortgage allowed. Plus homes go very fast or seem to. Quite frankly I thought some of the listings I were sent, were overpriced. The condos were from 1960s, and really needed updates. The agent just couldn't find me much so that was my experience. If your paying cash and have it to spend, then more properties will be available for you. I have to add its much more difficult to buy if your not in the area.

The fees to buy into Sun City I was told were $3500 when purchasing the home. A $496 Recreation Centers Fee that is paid annually. These are mandatory fees. Then of course if you buy a Condo, you have HOAs. Some of them are quite high. Its definitely a monthly bill to add into your budget. I believe it was mentioned the clubs have fees also, though you would need to research that.

There are 7 rec centers, a hospital, grocery stores and various shops and restaurants. I think there is probably a feeling of safety there. So it is a nice setting for a retired person.

I hope you can find something you will like. If you do move to Sun City, then I hope it will be a nice setting for your retirement.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
I really liked the villas at sun City summerlin, along with the advantages of Nevada.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:11 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun2sun View Post
Sun City is a great place to retire. As you mentioned, it is convenient, inexpensive and offers a ton of amenities. Most of the properties in Sun City are older, built from the late 1960's to late 1970's. Although many have been updated.

It is very possible to purchase a Single Family, Gemini Twin, or even a town home (PUD) for under $200K.

A lot of people balk at the $3500 Capital Impact Fee, but a quick drive around Sun City will show you that the money is well spent. Very few communities are as well maintained as Sun City.

In addition many of the services available in Sun City are geared towards retirees. Everything costs less in Sun City than in other parts of the valley. There are 3 hospitals and loads of doctors that specialize in geriatrics. Sun City is only minutes from Arrowhead Town Center which includes just about every store or restaurant you can imagine (including Costco).

And you can drive around in your golf cart!

I have sold several houses in Sun City and the feedback I get from my clients is that they LOVE Sun City.

There is really no other place I know of where you can find all that Sun City offers for under $200K.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM

346 posts, read 549,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I inquired this past month, and finally had to give up. I wanted to buy a small Condo. The few that were for sale either were not approved for VA Mortgages. Or the HOA Fees were higher than the Mortgage allowed. Plus homes go very fast or seem to. Quite frankly I thought some of the listings I were sent, were overpriced. The condos were from 1960s, and really needed updates. The agent just couldn't find me much so that was my experience. If your paying cash and have it to spend, then more properties will be available for you. I have to add its much more difficult to buy if your not in the area.

The fees to buy into Sun City I was told were $3500 when purchasing the home. A $496 Recreation Centers Fee that is paid annually. These are mandatory fees. Then of course if you buy a Condo, you have HOAs. Some of them are quite high. Its definitely a monthly bill to add into your budget. I believe it was mentioned the clubs have fees also, though you would need to research that.

There are 7 rec centers, a hospital, grocery stores and various shops and restaurants. I think there is probably a feeling of safety there. So it is a nice setting for a retired person.

I hope you can find something you will like. If you do move to Sun City, then I hope it will be a nice setting for your retirement.

Hope this helps.
Actually, the HOA fees in Sun City are quite reasonable! The ones I have looked at have ranged from $160 to $260 and at the high end that include exterior maintenance, roof repair & replacement, exterior landscaping, sewer, water, garbage, pest control and a blanket insurance policy (so as a homeowner I would only have to buy a walls in policy). All that would cost more than $260 if paid for individually plus you don’t have to deal with getting bids, vetting vendors, overseeing the work, etc.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 PM

720 posts, read 734,029 times
Sun City is great - yes one time fee to get in still I believe at $3500 and yearly for the family is the $496 recreational fee but there are 8 recreation centers with pool spa art, woodshop, sewing, exercise, etc classes lots to do - the hoa is around 200/mo and probably covers water and common maintenance so it's reasonable esp if you can get a nice gemini home for <= $200k

Old 08-28-2019, 03:30 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Best thing I ever did was move to Sun City. If anyone thinks it is overpriced it makes me wonder where they live now.

suncityaz.org

You have to remember that Sun City doesn't pay school taxes. A small condo pays about $1 a day in property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area