Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 98,780 times

Advertisements

Looking at moving to Gilbert, AZ and wondering what neighborhoods are nice, with homes around 2500-3000 Sq ft, that AREN'T built right on top of one another? Price is pretty flexible. We were in town just getting a feel for the area, and came across a few neighborhoods that look like you could stand between the homes and touch both at the same time. Please tell me this isn't how they all are. We need some space and separation from our neighbors. Welcome any recommendations! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
It definitely exists, look at communities like Whitewing, Greenfield Acres, circle G, some parts of Seville, Jake's Ranch, Casariica Estates just off the top of my head. There's plenty you just need to have a realtor set minimum lot size parameters in your search.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 PM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
We’re on almost an acre.If price isn’t an issue there is plenty to choose from at that size. Several acres would be harder. You can find that but it’s likely to be a hobby farm setup.

Edit: Getting a <3000 sf house on a big lot might be tough. Usually big lots come with big houses. We were in the same boat, and ended up with more house than we really need.

Last edited by hikernut; 10-12-2019 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
One tactic is to look for homes on cul-de-sac lots. These often have lot sizes significantly larger than the rest of the subdivision and because of the pie shape the back yards are larger and the neighbors more distant. Almost every development has them but they come at a premium price and are the first lots sold.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 AM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
When we were house hunting we did run across a tract neighborhood where a few of the lots were quite large. Some neighboring properties were custom homes and there was an agreement of some sort that the builder could only put single-level houses on bigger lots when they backed up to those existing homes. As I recall, this was just south of the Veteran's Oasis Park, in Chandler. That's the only time I've seen such an arrangement, though.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
When we were house hunting we did run across a tract neighborhood where a few of the lots were quite large. Some neighboring properties were custom homes and there was an agreement of some sort that the builder could only put single-level houses on bigger lots when they backed up to those existing homes. As I recall, this was just south of the Veteran's Oasis Park, in Chandler. That's the only time I've seen such an arrangement, though.
That's pretty common (in Chandler at least). When there's existing acre lots and a builder wants to build a subdivision, the city often requires larger lots for those that are adjacent to the acreage lots to make a smoother transition.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,276,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick123 View Post
Looking at moving to Gilbert, AZ and wondering what neighborhoods are nice, with homes around 2500-3000 Sq ft, that AREN'T built right on top of one another? Price is pretty flexible. We were in town just getting a feel for the area, and came across a few neighborhoods that look like you could stand between the homes and touch both at the same time. Please tell me this isn't how they all are. We need some space and separation from our neighbors. Welcome any recommendations! Thanks!
Coming from the Midwest nine years ago, I was also shocked by the lot sizes here. Bigger lots are a premium in the Phoenix Metro. Ashland Ranch in Gilbert comes to mind. Nice homes and some have some fairly large lots. They exist, but be expected to pay for them.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I am wondering: When you say large lot, what are you thinking in size? Most of the lots I am aware of in California and in Arizona would be between 5,000 square feet and 9,000 square feet. For example a standard for my neighborhood in California is 60' X 100'. My parents live in Surprise and have a 5,000 square foot lot. One sister lives in Surprise and has a 7,450 Square foot lot. Another sister in Waddell has a 8,625 Square foot lot. What I see most is somewhere between 5,000 and 9,000 square foot lots with the occasional outside corner lot that may be much larger.

Newer homes where I live have even smaller lots. Patio homes that are 2,500 to 3,000 square feet on 4,200 square foot lots.

So when you say you want a larger lot, what size are we talking? What is the norm for other areas?

Old 10-28-2019, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 98,780 times
Our last 2 homes were 2500-3000 Sq ft on 8000-8600 Sq ft lots. In our opinion there was enough distance between the homes to not feel like we were sandwiched in, but any closer would've been too close. I guess the reason I didn't just look at the home/lot size ratio is because I know the shape of the yard and where the home is situated is also a factor. A nice sized backyard is nice, but space between the homes is just as important to us. The homes we saw may have had ample backyards, but looked like you could reach into your neighbor's window from inside your house on the side.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:46 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick123 View Post
Our last 2 homes were 2500-3000 Sq ft on 8000-8600 Sq ft lots. In our opinion there was enough distance between the homes to not feel like we were sandwiched in, but any closer would've been too close. I guess the reason I didn't just look at the home/lot size ratio is because I know the shape of the yard and where the home is situated is also a factor. A nice sized backyard is nice, but space between the homes is just as important to us. The homes we saw may have had ample backyards, but looked like you could reach into your neighbor's window from inside your house on the side.
Some years back I remember doing some home shopping in the Phoenix area and I too noticed just how close some of the houses are together, especially new construction, they jammed you in tight next to each other. I wouldn't mind a decent amount of space between homes, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. I can't imagine why someone would want a really big backyard, but to each their own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area