Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Now, I'm not dumping on Surprise, just offering an alternative as they voted down their overrides and seem to share his opinion. Of course, their High Schools rank 4/10 on greatschools.org not 9/10, so clearly a large percentage of the residents are apathetic regarding the schools. I agree with a post above that it is probably the retirees in Sun City Grand that are pinching pennies and vote these things down (maybe they should have saved a bit more in their working years).
I wouldn't think Sun City would have anything to do with the bonds...aren't they "property Tax exempt" or whatever due to them being over 55/no schools? Are they voting in the Surprise elections? That doesn't seem quite fair if they are voting down a bond when it means absolutely nothing to them financially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 01:53 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Fair enough.

About Dysart schools, remember it's not jut Surprise. And the SCG blaming is just ridiculous, they make up like 17k out of 130k and they're not all voters here. If families can't muster the energy to get off their arses and get involved, why should they?
Well, retirees in general not just SCG. There's oldsters peppered into all of those new communities in Surprise. Same as you would find in other fringe areas like San Tan Valley or Maricopa, they don't merely keep themselves wrangled up in the age restricted communities. These are people that likely moved here for a lower cost of living so anything that pops up that can take their money, they vote down. This is the "Vote NO" bumper sticker on the golf carts crowd

Old 11-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I wouldn't think Sun City would have anything to do with the bonds...aren't they "property Tax exempt" or whatever due to them being over 55/no schools? Are they voting in the Surprise elections? That doesn't seem quite fair if they are voting down a bond when it means absolutely nothing to them financially?
I believe they are not exempt being in Surprise, as opposed to those in the original Sun City or Sun City West which are not incorporated and do not fund schools.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
SCG is 100% in (and a few SCW houses vote on Dysart issues) and they don't all vote in a giant no taxes block. They could easily be negated by involved "regular" voters if they bothered to participate.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:03 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Well, retirees in general not just SCG. There's oldsters peppered into all of those new communities in Surprise. Same as you would find in other fringe areas like San Tan Valley or Maricopa, they don't merely keep themselves wrangled up in the age restricted communities. These are people that likely moved here for a lower cost of living so anything that pops up that can take their money, they vote down. This is the "Vote NO" bumper sticker on the golf carts crowd

Retirees that vote no could easily be overtaken by a combination of those that vote yes and families that not only cared enough about bonds but make involvement in education their highest priority.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
It's kind of interesting, and funny, to see how personally some people take this.

I'll continue to vote no on bonds. That's all I can do. If you like to dance around because someone voted and the vote didn't go their way, that makes you a pretty small person. Remember your pettiness the next time the vote doesn't go your way.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
It's kind of interesting, and funny, to see how personally some people take this.

I'll continue to vote no on bonds. That's all I can do. If you like to dance around because someone voted and the vote didn't go their way, that makes you a pretty small person. Remember your pettiness the next time the vote doesn't go your way.
Of course you will, without even reading them to find out what they pay for. The fact that you blindly are promising a future of voting "no" on any bond that comes your way, is proof that you do not read them, do not care, and merely want/need to hold onto your money.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:07 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,269,687 times
I'm in a tough position on this. My wife home schools my three children. I have absolutely no vested interest in public schools where I live. That being said, I tend to vote yes on bonds. The more money schools have, the higher they rank. It's pretty much been proven. That's why wealthier areas tend to overwhelmingly have better rated schools. This, in turn, increases property values. So, I guess voting yes gives me indirect benefits.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:50 PM

743 posts, read 875,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Bond elections are for capital projects, have nothing to do with anybody's salary.
Well it was over 40 years ago and I was just a kid. So not a bond, but it was something that was passed and my mom and the other school employees got nothing while the admins got nice raises.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Something 40 years ago, an ancedote at that, is hardly relevant.

Especially after the hatchet taken to the education budget a decade ago and how we are still short to finding at that time.

Administrators are not the enemy. They make considerably less here than in other states and are when you consider the responsibilities and qualifications for these positions it is vital to have good options - they are already underpaid compared to other industries for the skills they bring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area