Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 10,188 times

Advertisements

@kate2345 - no one said I wanted to get anyone evicted. I wanted to know the law.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 PM

@PhureeKeeper - ha ha - Yes, we've had that talk before. I've tried that. What people are not understanding is that I live in a ONE bedroom apartment complex. No 2 or 3 bedrooms. That is why I moved here. And I do have a 27 year old. And when he was younger, I made certain that he used his inside voice - even when I lived in a larger complex - as a courtesy to others. And when he played and was loud, I would take him to the park!

They are below me and when the kids are playing out side of their door, their voices come RIGHT UP into my windows and open door. So I just play really loud music now. ha ha

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2020, 12:04 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
I don’t know the specific Phoenix law. But a rule of thumb followed by many municipalities is 2 people per bedroom plus one. Such as a couple with one child.

You may have to work with headphones on.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:05 PM

@Hal Roach

Yes, it's very rude. When my son was younger, I made sure he used his indoor voice. Kids that act like wild animals should be taken to a park! My apartment is my solitude. It's my sanctuary. And I shouldn't have to leave to get my studies done. They should take their kids to the park.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 PM

@fluffythewondercat

Thank you for this information. I appreciate it. Now I'm just working with my classical music turned up loud. I'm sure it bothers the people next door, but there is nothing else I can do. I'm not trying to get anyone evicted! Just wanted to know what the laws were. I would like to move to another apartment where this doesn't happen. I have a ONE BEDROOM in hopes that this would keep large families from living here. But I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again,
Carrie

Old 01-26-2020, 01:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
PHX is a bit vague on occupancy:

Unreasonable Occupancy Standards:

Arizona law states that a two person per bedroom occupancy limit is presumed to be reasonable. Depending upon the circumstances, however, such a limit may be challenged, and anything less than two persons per bedroom may violate fair housing laws by having an adverse impact against families with children. Also, whatever occupancy standards do exist must be applied consistently.

https://www.phoenix.gov/eod/investig...rd-information

It might be more enforceable if any housing funds are involved:

Affordable units receiving City assistance may not exceed the Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD) maximum rents established annually. (See HOME Unit Fact Sheet)

Note 1: The City of Phoenix maximum occupancy standards allow two persons per sleeping room. Occupancy exceptions will be considered if a family has special circumstances that are justified in writing. Exceptions will not exceed HUD’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS) which allow two persons per living/sleeping room.

Note 2: These above limits apply to all programs administered by the Housing Department, regardless of funding source.

https://www.phoenix.gov/housingsite/...ffordOccup.pdf

Old 01-26-2020, 01:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieann15 View Post
@fluffythewondercat

Thank you for this information. I appreciate it. Now I'm just working with my classical music turned up loud. I'm sure it bothers the people next door, but there is nothing else I can do. I'm not trying to get anyone evicted! Just wanted to know what the laws were. I would like to move to another apartment where this doesn't happen. I have a ONE BEDROOM in hopes that this would keep large families from living here. But I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again,
Carrie
I would report the complex anyway. You have nothing to lose. Cranking up the music too loud could easily result in a different neighbor complaining and getting you tossed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area