Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:28 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I have no specific information, but intuition would indicate that it'd be smart to look for restaurants that have more than one location.

I don't know what knowledge you would have picked up on a farm, but there seems to be quite a need for moderately priced (i.e. entry level) gardeners who are totally fluent in English.
Thanks. This is for my stepdaughter though, not for me.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Thanks. This is for my stepdaughter though, not for me.
The same thing applies.

On the other hand, if she doesn't have the initiative to ask for herself, that seems like a bad sign.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 3,954,223 times
White Castle in Scottsdale is hiring. $13 am hour to start, and free lunch.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:15 AM

Just a follow up...

She got a job offer that resulted from an online application. I was initially a bit skeptical of putting much effort into online, but it worked.

Last edited by hikernut; 02-24-2020 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-24-2020, 11:25 PM

3,295 posts, read 3,954,223 times
If she shows up everyday and on time, she'll be head and shoulders above her co-workers.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If she shows up everyday and on time, she'll be head and shoulders above her co-workers.
I can vouch for this. I'm an HR Director at a medical facility and 75% of our entry level hires are not reliable and we just cycle through them. I can't believe those who are just starting out in their first jobs in life and demand schedules where they only work M-F, won't work evenings or nights, demand the easy units, etc. Long gone are the days where you were thankful to have a job and did whatever the heck you were told to do. There is no way to get these folks to show up on time...everyone feels that "I'll get there when I can" is acceptable.

These are also the ones who were making $8.05/hour a couple years ago and are now making $12/hour and demanding a raise because "I'm only making minimum wage".

There are 25% of them that work hard and show up every day. These people keep me from writing off the entire generation.

Last edited by LBTRS; 02-29-2020 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 04:16 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,650,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I can vouch for this. I'm an HR Director at a medical facility and 75% of our entry level hires are not reliable and we just cycle through them. I can't believe those who are just starting out in their first jobs in life and demand schedules where they only work M-F, won't work evenings or nights, demand the easy units, etc. Long gone are the days where you were thankful to have a job and did whatever the heck you were told to do. There is no way to get these folks to show up on time...everyone feels that "I'll get there when I can" is acceptable.

These are also the ones who were making $8.05/hour a couple years ago and are now making $12/hour and demanding a raise because "I'm only making minimum wage".

There are 25% of them that work hard and show up every day. These people keep me from writing off the entire generation.
Yes. I noticed that some of the very young workers are disrespectful towards older, senior workers and managers. More than once, I've heard people from Generation X or the Baby Boomers allude to the problem of some kind of "entitlement" of these young, disrespectful co-workers when that happens. HR has a term for that - insolence or insubordination. If she stays clear of that insolence, that will make her stand out positively among management. Another demographic pattern that is common in the young adults is dating co-workers. They tend to do so far more frequently without concern of complications. Older workers will often point out that it can damage career paths if the relationship doesn't work out. At a minimum, it can become a focus of workplace gossip which is usually viewed as unprofessional. I would recommend she stay clear of that too. There are plenty of places outside of work for young adults to socialize rather than risk losing everything at work.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
More than once, I've heard people from Generation X or the Baby Boomers allude to the problem of some kind of "entitlement" of these young, disrespectful co-workers when that happens. HR has a term for that - insolence or insubordination. If she stays clear of that insolence, that will make her stand out positively among management. Another demographic pattern that is common in the young adults is dating co-workers. They tend to do so far more frequently without concern of complications.

Thankfully she's not the insubordinate type. I don't have any big concerns. It's a Starbucks store, only a couple of miles from our house. She's excited about working for the manager who interviewed her. Of course I've told her the common sense stuff, that the manager wants someone who's dependable and does the job. Show that you're responsible and good things will follow.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:13 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,284,249 times
Twenty years old and doesn't know how to apply for a job. Also needs to be coached about being dependable. Yikes. Sorry to be blunt. I obviously don't know her backstory, so I apologize in advance if there is some underlying reason for not already knowing these things.

Makes me respect the military even more - with these 18 year old kids off fighting wars for our country.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Twenty years old and doesn't know how to apply for a job. Also needs to be coached about being dependable. Yikes. Sorry to be blunt. I obviously don't know her backstory, so I apologize in advance if there is some underlying reason for not already knowing these things.

Okay, you and Vobe are really pissing me off.

She did everything on her own... job search, applications, interview, success. I'm just trying to educate myself.

Mods... would you please close this if you are reading? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area