Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 04:21 PM

566 posts, read 572,829 times

Advertisements

Are you willing to live in a smaller house? You could by a smaller house in this neighborhood in North Phoenix which would have a reasonable commute to downtown. This is a nice, safe neighborhood zoned for an elementary school that I have only heard parents rave about, a strong middle school, and an excellent high school.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1545-W-Wood-Dr-Phoenix-AZ-85029/7784434_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1458-W-Wood-Dr-Phoenix-AZ-85029/7784533_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 4,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I find south Phoenix to be just as safe as most of the west side, which I am not a fan of. However I don't have kids so I'm not sure about schools down there. I know that south mountain high school just went through a major renovation and I have heard good things about that school in general. Can anyone chime in?

thanks for the feedback, I just think that for schooling we could go to private school instead of public as an option so I might take this into account as well.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Are you willing to live in a smaller house? You could by a smaller house in this neighborhood in North Phoenix which would have a reasonable commute to downtown. This is a nice, safe neighborhood zoned for an elementary school that I have only heard parents rave about, a strong middle school, and an excellent high school.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1545-W-Wood-Dr-Phoenix-AZ-85029/7784434_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1458-W-Wood-Dr-Phoenix-AZ-85029/7784533_zpid/

Thanks I'll start looking north Phoenix area as well. Is the traffic not too bad from there?

those houses looks nice as well and I think around 1700-1900 sqft is a good size for us.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 PM

566 posts, read 572,829 times
The traffic is bad if you take the freeway, but since you are close enough you can take streets. From that neighborhood you can drive down 19th Ave or over to 7th St. I go down 7th St. in the morning and I fly down with hardly any traffic.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
OP has a family and options are limited at that price point to find a decent size house in a safe neighborhood near downtown. West side will open up many more options.
They said commute within 20-30 minutes. That could be a challenge from many places in the west valley.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
They said commute within 20-30 minutes. That could be a challenge from many places in the west valley.
Agreed. But budget limits the options a bit, unfortunately. There has to be some trade-off.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:27 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
The traffic is bad if you take the freeway, but since you are close enough you can take streets. From that neighborhood you can drive down 19th Ave or over to 7th St. I go down 7th St. in the morning and I fly down with hardly any traffic.
Agreed. The areas around Moon Valley can be hit-or-miss, but you can find a few hidden gems in OPs price range. And the 7th St drive downtown is a nice advantage.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
by 20-30 mins I mean without considering the rush hour traffic.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiera16 View Post
by 20-30 mins I mean without considering the rush hour traffic.
Will you be working off hours? Because unless you live extremely close to your job, it could easily take you 20-30 minutes in Sunday morning traffic to get many places in the valley. Add in rush hours (which is about 6 AM to 9 AM and again from about 3 PM to 6 PM, maybe earlier/later) and it could easily double. Or triple. The area is HUGE. If you have not spend a lot of time here, you might not really understand how huge. Before I moved here I used to think a 30 minute drive someplace in town was far away, but here 30 minutes is "not that far". It is funny how often I find myself saying "it's only a half an hour from here!" I have really grown to love the places I can get to in 20 minutes or less.

I have had job recruiters ask upfront where I live before pitching jobs to me because they know from experience that people don't enjoy driving endlessly to get to work. They would not even show me jobs that were outside of a certain radius from my home. I had a job for a short time here that took me around 55 minutes to go less than 10 miles. I didn't keep that job long.

The thing that most here can't stress enough is try to live as close as possible to your job as you can. It may not seem like a big deal at first, but why waste all of that time sitting in the car in traffic if you don't have to?

Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 PM

720 posts, read 733,642 times
Best thing to do is rent! When I first moved to AZ I rented on 7th St and Greenway - that community has changed names quite a few times so I don't know the name of it - but it was amazing had movie theater; tennis courts; pools; etc. and walkable to the shopping center across the street and it was pretty reasonable. I used to work downtown and it was a straight shot from 7th st. Then you can figure it out once you get here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area