Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM

25 posts, read 43,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Interesting. There was a news story a few days ago that Phoenix officials were going to Washington to talk about crime. It turns out that Phoenix is the safest large city in the country and officials in Washington want to know what Phoenix is doing right and how it could be applied in other large cities.
Well that is interesting i havent heard about that.i will do some research on that.But i dont think that's totally true because I live here and i can name bad places to be even if it is in a good city.Is it Washington or Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyrobby View Post
Well that is interesting i havent heard about that.i will do some research on that.But i dont think that's totally true because I live here and i can name bad places to be even if it is in a good city.Is it Washington or Washington DC.
Well it is one of the safest big cities in terms of random crime and random victimization. Even though NYC has a lower crime rate per 100,000 people, the changes of being the victim of a random crime, random assault, random murder, random mugging, random rape, etc are much higher in NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. While the crime rate per 100,000 people in Phoenix is higher than those cities the random rates are markedly lower. Most of the murder, rape, assault, etc victims in Phoenix are those individuals committing a primary or secondary crime; as in John Doe was murdered while selling/doing drugs. If you are in the human and drug trafficking business in Phoenix you are most likely the next target of a murder, assault, robbery, etc. This is the big ticket the Phoenix PD is tackling to get our crime rates even lower then they have already dropped.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Well it is one of the safest big cities in terms of random crime and random victimization. Even though NYC has a lower crime rate per 100,000 people, the changes of being the victim of a random crime, random assault, random murder, random mugging, random rape, etc are much higher in NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. While the crime rate per 100,000 people in Phoenix is higher than those cities the random rates are markedly lower. Most of the murder, rape, assault, etc victims in Phoenix are those individuals committing a primary or secondary crime; as in John Doe was murdered while selling/doing drugs. If you are in the human and drug trafficking business in Phoenix you are most likely the next target of a murder, assault, robbery, etc. This is the big ticket the Phoenix PD is tackling to get our crime rates even lower then they have already dropped.
Really? That's news to me. Where are the links to support your claims?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foenicks View Post
Really? That's news to me. Where are the links to support your claims?
Um where have you been, it is all OVER the news but here are some links...just do some research and become informed before you start wrongly opining:

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008

Also, on this links front page, if you scroll through the 2008 rankings on the right hand side you will see Phoenix is ranked at #65...as I've stated before.

Some info:
azcentral.com blogs - E.J. Montini's Columns & Blog: Is Phoenix really the 'kidnapping capital?'

FBI: Violent crimes dropped in Valley

Homicides fell in Valley in 2008

The Arizona Republic: Archives

There is information and news, reports, stats, etc ALL over the internet and available from municipalities; one just has to look and not be lazy since it is readily available!

Also, that 2008 list on the right hand side of the first link ranks 368 cities. You will find most of the Phoenix suburbs like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Mesa, Surprise, etc etc ranked near last in the 300's and lower...This is comparing cities with 1.5 million, 500,000, and even down to 15,000 like Bricktownship, NJ and the like, LOL! So for Valley cities with 1.5 million, 500,000, 250,000, 150,000 this means they are extremely safe...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-02-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Um where have you been, it is all OVER the news but here are some links...just do some research and become informed before you start wrongly opining:

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008

Also, on this links front page, if you scroll through the 2008 rankings on the right hand side you will see Phoenix is ranked at #65...as I've stated before.

Some info:
azcentral.com blogs - E.J. Montini's Columns & Blog: Is Phoenix really the 'kidnapping capital?'

FBI: Violent crimes dropped in Valley

Homicides fell in Valley in 2008

The Arizona Republic: Archives

There is information and news, reports, stats, etc ALL over the internet and available from municipalities; one just has to look and not be lazy since it is readily available!

Also, that 2008 list on the right hand side of the first link ranks 368 cities. You will find most of the Phoenix suburbs like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Mesa, Surprise, etc etc ranked near last in the 300's and lower...This is comparing cities with 1.5 million, 500,000, and even down to 15,000 like Bricktownship, NJ and the like, LOL! So for Valley cities with 1.5 million, 500,000, 250,000, 150,000 this means they are extremely safe...
Oh ok well i still dont trust phoenix no matter how safe people say stuff is there is still more crime that has not been recored and stuff.i mean yes and no it's getting better.i dont feel like saying all these things but yep.I will certainly not walk Phoenix streets at night especially The Southside Phoenix only an idiot would dare go alone and make a fool of themselves in southside Phoenix.Just giving my opinion.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Oh ok well i still dont trust phoenix no matter how safe people say stuff is there is still more crime that has not been recored and stuff.i mean yes and no it's getting better.i dont feel like saying all these things but yep.I will certainly not walk Phoenix streets at night especially The Southside Phoenix only an idiot would dare go alone and make a fool of themselves in southside Phoenix.Just giving my opinion.
This is an illogical post. If "there is still more crime that has not been recorded and stuff" then that must be true for all cities and cities with worse crime than Phoenix, no??? Would you walk around South Central L.A., Spanish Harlem, Detroit, Chicago's Southside alone? Of course not...

Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
This is an illogical post. If "there is still more crime that has not been recorded and stuff" then that must be true for all cities and cities with worse crime than Phoenix, no??? Would you walk around South Central L.A., Spanish Harlem, Detroit, Chicago's Southside alone? Of course not...
Who would walk down Detroit at night?It is crazy dangerous there.It is just crazy in Surprise Arizona it is really nice in this city but i am still scared to walk out at night because i have been living in Rancho Gabriela district for about 4 years i only know 3 people in Rancho Gabriela.My neighbors dont say hi to me or even smile.And when i am just walking during day time i have weird guys try to pick me up so i cant really go outside alone one of my friends have to be with me. People think that Surprise is the safest city in Arizona nope it's not.It looks clean but the people arent.Some districts here are nice but some really arent.We just try to ignore the problems like this here.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Who would walk down Detroit at night?It is crazy dangerous there.It is just crazy in Surprise Arizona it is really nice in this city but i am still scared to walk out at night because i have been living in Rancho Gabriela district for about 4 years i only know 3 people in Rancho Gabriela.My neighbors dont say hi to me or even smile.And when i am just walking during day time i have weird guys try to pick me up so i cant really go outside alone one of my friends have to be with me. People think that Surprise is the safest city in Arizona nope it's not.It looks clean but the people arent.Some districts here are nice but some really arent.We just try to ignore the problems like this here.
You mean who would walk in/through Detroit at night. Probably people with no other choice and in winter those that dress like eskimos. Oh that is sad that no one speaks to you but I don't think that means they will shoot, rape, kill, or attack you. Surprise is ranked at the bottom for cities that are dangerous, so it is one of the safest American cities...SURPRISE!!! LOL If you feel that way of Surprise you won't feel safe in ANY city...not even Copenhagen, Amsterdam (As in Netherlands...I was yelled at by men as well who wanted to "pick me" up, but I think it was because they found me attractive ), Des Moines, or Beverly Hills.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
You mean who would walk in/through Detroit at night. Probably people with no other choice and in winter those that dress like eskimos. Oh that is sad that no one speaks to you but I don't think that means they will shoot, rape, kill, or attack you. Surprise is ranked at the bottom for cities that are dangerous, so it is one of the safest American cities...SURPRISE!!! LOL If you feel that way of Surprise you won't feel safe in ANY city...not even Copenhagen, Amsterdam (As in Netherlands...I was yelled at by men as well who wanted to "pick me" up, but I think it was because they found me attractive ), Des Moines, or Beverly Hills.
well they dont talk to anyone in the neighborhood nobody ever goes outside especially now it is kinda depressing sometimes i really want to move to Phoenix i love it there idc how much i said it is dangerous in certain parts but i still love it there or move back to Chicago where i used to live.I have lived in arizona for about 7 years now or 8 idk well anyways you got to admit it's getting worse here

Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
well they dont talk to anyone in the neighborhood nobody ever goes outside especially now it is kinda depressing sometimes i really want to move to Phoenix i love it there idc how much i said it is dangerous in certain parts but i still love it there or move back to Chicago where i used to live.I have lived in arizona for about 7 years now or 8 idk well anyways you got to admit it's getting worse here
Statistically, it is getting better - much better here. Crime is way down over the past couple years. I don't know what Channel 10 News is going to do if it keeps up. But, for most of us, we don't notice crime either up or down. A lot depends on your age, I think, and the things you do with your time. Maybe you are just doing the wrong things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area