Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 08:39 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,744,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Regardless, 2020 broke the record for the fewest days in a year with measurable rainfall in Phoenix. The previous record was 18 days in 2002, and 2020 recorded 15 days. Well below the average of 37 days.

This current weather pattern is similar to 2002. In fact, the current drought situation in AZ is the worst since 2002.

https://weatherbus.com/weather/2020/...ona-since-2002
Yep, I watch it pretty close too, if I had to guess I'd say we won't see any major relief until hopefully a wetter than normal Monsoon but more realistically a more normal winter next year.

On a more positive note, thanks to a wet 2019, our water supply is in decent shape for now.

https://ktar.com/story/3781468/srp-r...na-conditions/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 06:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yep, I watch it pretty close too, if I had to guess I'd say we won't see any major relief until hopefully a wetter than normal Monsoon but more realistically a more normal winter next year.

On a more positive note, thanks to a wet 2019, our water supply is in decent shape for now.

Good to know that the water supplies are in decent shape despite how serious the drought is. But I'm afraid you might be right based on the extended outlook. Funny how NOAA usually gets it right when the long range forecast is warmer or drier than normal, but isn't always correct when the outlook is for above normal precipitation. One glimmer of hope: sometimes during La Niña winters, there are cutoff lows that break of from the jet stream & move into our area, and some of them can supply an ample amount of moisture. We'll see if that happens.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:41 PM

39,097 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

It is fixing up to be devastating to the forests up north like back several years ago as the bark beetles attack the pines.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM

NOAA hires all these so called experts to study computer models to predict upcoming weather events. It would be an interesting career, but frustrating because many of them are dead wrong when it comes to storm systems & anticipated precipitation totals. In reality, having a job as a weather forecaster in Phoenix should be a no brainer. All they really have to do is implement a permanent forecast stating "SUNNY & DRY FOR ETERNITY", and they'd be correct at least 90% of the time.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:08 PM

657 posts, read 1,338,503 times
They moved there because it used to be inexpensive so tolerating the heat was worth it. I did it from 93-2001, then couldn't deal with it anymore. Its a really nice clean city, but the weather can really wear on one after awhile. It may be less expensive than SoCal these days, but no longer an inexpensive place to live.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
It may be less expensive than SoCal these days, but no longer an inexpensive place to live.
Very true. Although Phoenix is still relatively affordable compared to CA and a few other places, it's certainly not a cheap place to live. I've noticed the higher cost of living in everything from gas to groceries. But I like the fact that real estate prices have increased noticeably. For those of us who are homeowners, the higher appreciation rate is encouraging, even though maintenance & improvements can be budget busters.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:29 PM

101 posts, read 94,282 times
I don't know if anyone moves to Phoenix for the weather or the heat, but for the fact that the climate doesn't have the baggage that cities such as Buffalo and Cleveland have climatewise, such as excessive amounts of ice and snow, subzero temps, and etc. No matter where anyone is from, I think it would be hard for absolutely anyone (no matter where they are from relative to the climate) to actually like 100 days of over 100 degree temperatures, and if they really did like it they wouldn't be using air conditioning as much as they do in Phoenix.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:49 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,045,966 times
The excessive summer heat & lack of rain is not for me. I would love to live in the outskirts of portland,oregon.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 25,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The excessive summer heat & lack of rain is not for me. I would love to live in the outskirts of portland,oregon.
I live in the suburbs of Seattle. Coming from AZ to the PNW will be a big shock. We only had day that was partly sunny from late December to Mid February. In the winter months, seasonal depression hits hard. It is rare to have a sunny day from November to March. However, July and August are magical. Perfect temperatures and no humidity. The only problem we are dealing with in the summers is the wildfires.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:41 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,308,079 times
A lot of people hate the super cold more than the super hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area