Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times

Advertisements

Ben Avery is dirt cheap and a nice outdoor range, right on Carefree Hwy. at I-17, exit 223 (should be .223 - ha ha).

Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,190 times
Default Campming in the Arizona desert and mountains?

Who's done this? I'm not living in Arizona yet but soon. I'm curious as to what precautions are needed regarding safety. Snakes, coyotes, thugs, drugs and and illegals. I was thinking maybe a 4x4 with a truck bed tent. Bring my own firewood? A couple well armed friends? I have been a gun owner for years and would like to do some shooting and even hunting when in season but basically I'm just looking to be out in nature, hike, star gaze and breath fresh air.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaureltQ View Post
My boyfriend and I enjoy going shooting occasionally. Is there a place to do so? I'd imagine there are gun ranges, but is there public land where you can shoot long range into burms or anything? Thanks.
I had a good laugh when I read the thread title: "Good places to go shooting near Phoenix." I was going to give you my Ex's home address! LOL

Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Just visit the SW valley, anywhere you like. No one will even notice your shooting, so you'll be able to enjoy yourselves.
Oh me, oh my! That is friggin' hysterical! I gave you rep points for that one! In fact, rep points for all! What a fun thread! (Sorry, back on topic........... try Blue Ridge area northeast of Phoenix)

Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Who's done this? I'm not living in Arizona yet but soon. I'm curious as to what precautions are needed regarding safety. Snakes, coyotes, thugs, drugs and and illegals. I was thinking maybe a 4x4 with a truck bed tent. Bring my own firewood? A couple well armed friends? I have been a gun owner for years and would like to do some shooting and even hunting when in season but basically I'm just looking to be out in nature, hike, star gaze and breath fresh air.
I stumbled upon someone doing exactly this last Sunday. My wife and were on my motorcycle way offroad in Sonoran Nat. Monument. My GPS died and I saw a white truck coming out of the desert on a dirt road. I waved him down and asked if he had just come from a dead end. He said he had just been shooting at his normal place out there and that the road dead ended. We later found some other great riding trails and when we came upon a BLM water hole, the place was just covered with spent casings, shotgun shells and ammo boxes. I didn't see anyone else out there in 50 miles of offroading and I was wearing a flourescent bike jacket, so I would not have been easy to mistake for an animal. You need to really check the ownership or mgt. of whatever land you want to shoot on.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Just visit the SW valley, anywhere you like. No one will even notice your shooting, so you'll be able to enjoy yourselves.
LMAO....that was funny!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:52 AM

267 posts, read 885,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLeeVegas View Post
In the past, some people have seemed to like Baseline Rd for shooting.
What is up with these replies? I live along Baseline in the SW valley and have not once heard a gunshot. My goodness the misconception on this board!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM

180 posts, read 655,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post

I have done alot of camping in Az. 99% away from any people. I sleep in tents in the ground. No need for guns. Firewood can be found, but fires are not always a great idea or even allowed. It is dry here and many time there are fire restictions since some times a little camp fire can turn into a forrest fire even in the desert. The big key is water. Don't expect to find any. When backpacking you need to look carefully for sources of water on the trail. Most a rare, but there some out there.

As for snakes. They tend to stay away from people and the biggest risk is hiking into one. Make noise and they go away. Some parts of Northern Az you do need to worry about bears.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
What is up with these replies? I live along Baseline in the SW valley and have not once heard a gunshot. My goodness the misconception on this board!
Baseline Rd is a VERY long street. They are most likely not talking about your area.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 PM

36 posts, read 212,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
By law you MAY NOT shoot with a 1/4 mile of any occupied building. Beyond that you can shoot anywhere. So drive out some place far away from people with berm and shoot away. Please be safe however to make sure there are no hikers around.
That's an interesting law. It's good to know. So long as it's in the "OK Zone" in WA, you can shoot out your kitchen window(so long as you're doing it in a safe manner) if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area