Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Phoenix area, safe areas, where to live, rattlesnakes, crime rates, dangerous places to live, Gilbert nice but pricey, Phoenix police, barrios and ghettos, gated communities, scorpions

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is ok. It's gotten so much more crowded in the past 25 years I've lived here. But the weather is still great and it is so close to mountains and even California is not that far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
You are treading on very thin ice if you do what you say. Yes, the information is public record, and you should direct your client's to the records if that is a concern of theirs. Providing information yourself is not a good idea.

You also contradict yourself. On one hand you say it's OK to show only certain areas to buyers based on their national/religious preference, but then you say you can't be "exclusive"?

From the NAR's website: "A request from the home seller or landlord to act in a discriminatory manner in the sale, lease or rental cannot legally be fulfilled by the real estate professional." Guiding buyers to neighborhoods based on racial/religious preference sounds discriminatory to me, even if they request it. If they ask to see homes in a certain neighborhood that is fine as long as the realtor does not provide guidance based on national/religious makeup. The realtor can direct them to sources of demographic information, but should not themselves be the source.

Here's a good article that will help clarify: http://www.rebac.net/TBR/2008/TBR0408.pdf
If you read page 6 of the article above that you linked to here you will notice the key difference in what you refer to as "steering" is that it is against the Fair Housing Act only if you present information directly to your client without them asking for it. The client must ask for the information or to see a specific area and I must "document" the request so as to prove I am not "steering" them. I do however agree that it can be a "fine line" but I am confident in my own experience, specialized education and abilities as a realtor to not cross that line.

As far as contradicting myself, I said it is ok to show buyers certain areas based on their "desire to live" near others of their nationality or religious preference...again which is a specific request (desire) from the buyer...but I can not "exclusively" show them properties based on the fact that the seller is a certain nationality or religion. That would be discriminatory. I would need to show them all properties in the area that fit their preferences (ie. number of bedrooms, sq. footage, garage). Therefore I don't believe that is contradictory as I was speaking about two different subjects...buyers' desires and sellers' ethnicity or religion.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,476 times
As far as crime in PHX, make sure you lock your car. PHX metro area is #1 from car theft, but as far as violent crimes, you dont really have that much to worry about unless your moving to Maryvale or S. Phoenix. But drugs are a huge problem in the SE valley, even in the high schools. Lately, in Gilbert, there is a Heroin craze in high schools for the smokable black tar heroin. You also have to watch out for Mesa too, huge crystal meth problems.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
I'd prepare for the air quality here more than crime. From what everyone on here tells me there really isn't much crime here and all the stats are wrong about Phoenix. You will have pollution alerts though. Coming from the clean air in Alaska, you might have to get use to the smell. lol You should be fine though, we are all still here and breathing. Listen, it sounds like you've lived in all kinds of places. There is good and bad here like everywhere else. You will find it's not as bad as you think. Most things are like that. I think of moving somewhere that has snow and think I could never handle it after being in so much sun. I would freeze to death. Especially listening to all the snowbird stories. lol How horrible the snow is. So, it's the same all over. I use to hate Phoenix, but after being on this thread awhile I realized it's all just what people prefer. What they are sick of. What they are looking forward too. And nothing, nothing is going to change the mind. So don't fret, you'll adjust, and may even love the fact there is no snow to shovel.

Good luck

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMCClure View Post
As far as crime in PHX, make sure you lock your car. PHX metro area is #1 from car theft, but as far as violent crimes, you dont really have that much to worry about unless your moving to Maryvale or S. Phoenix. But drugs are a huge problem in the SE valley, even in the high schools. Lately, in Gilbert, there is a Heroin craze in high schools for the smokable black tar heroin. You also have to watch out for Mesa too, huge crystal meth problems.
Actually the car theft situation is getting better. We are now ranked 8th - not great but headed in the right direction. The year before we were 6th. It has been a few years since we were number 1.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
I think it's ok to be freaked out and cautious. I just spoke to a woman yesterday on my volunteer job who clued me into what goes on. Her daughter goes to a certain school and wears a uniform so they can distinguish between gangs and her daughter. Shock to me. I had just thought it would be a good way to reduce enviousness on the part of other school kids. Be careful, be very careful. I wouldn't come here if I were you.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Actually the car theft situation is getting better. We are now ranked 8th - not great but headed in the right direction. The year before we were 6th. It has been a few years since we were number 1.
Interesting point, Garson.

What factors do you attribute the improved ranking . . . possibly the crackdown on the Illegal employment?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:07 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Be cautious, be aware and make informed decisions - no matter what city you are moving to. Freaking out a little is normal but just do not fall in to the fear induced hysteria that is so rampant in society today. It is all over not just in Phoenix. (and is certainly here in CD!)
There are a lot of great places to live, feel safe and raise a family here in the valley. It WILL be a big change for you and you will have some important decisions to make but there is a lot of information out there. Just don't let one source color your outlook too much.
Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area