Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 05:35 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

But that's part of the purpose of these forums, no?

In about a year, we're moving to the Phoenix area. We don't anticipate staying permanently, we're moving there to be near an aging relative who may need us, and, sadly but realistically to eventually deal with estate stuff when that time comes. Luckily my company has an office in Scottsdale, so I can transfer. The relative lives in Chandler. We are a 41 & 61 year old couple who have no kids, one cat, and we plan to rent a house. I'd need to keep rent under $1,600 a month, which hopefully is still doable a year from now (it looks possible now, but the market has been kind of crazy. Here in CO, too, so not a shock.) I'm hoping for a 3 BR, 2 BA minimum for that price. We have a lot of stuff and it would be nice not to have to get a storage unit...

So we don't care about schools, but we're hoping that we can find a home that is in decent shape to live in, in a quiet neighborhood, and we need to be able to easily get to Chandler & Scottsdale. On a map, it looks like Tempe, Mesa, northern parts of Gilbert or Chandler maybe, would work.

Any areas I should avoid in that region?

And can I ask about scorpions? If anyone lives in that part of the Phoenix area, do you find them in your house? Our relative in Chandler says it's never been a problem where he lives. I am wondering if it's because he lives in a nice home that is pretty "tight" and keeps pests out fairly well. I have found in my wanderings and renting homes across the country that sometimes a rental that isn't maintained well, you'll see more pests of any kind getting in... Or are scorpions in particular found more or less in different places around and outside the city?

Like I am not terrified of seeing one, necessarily, but I worry about my cat, I would think its sting could probably kill a cat? Is there anything you can do to repel them?

Any general advice I should keep in mind? I'm a meticulous planner, so I'm starting to sort out a timeline for this move now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 06:20 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
There has been a number of threads about scorpions over the last few years. Do an advanced search for "scorpions" and you will find a lot of hits. Here are the most commented scorpion related threads from the past few years. Odds are you will find what you are looking for within.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...es-should.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...rpions-az.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...18-thread.html

I have been here a decade (Tempe, north Phoenix and downtown Phoenix) and I have seen zero scorpions. A former colleague lived in an apartment complex near Thunderbird and 19th Ave and had a scorpion issue. Not sure how accurate but I have been told that scorpions tend to be in areas that were former citrus groves decades ago.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:13 PM

566 posts, read 573,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But that's part of the purpose of these forums, no?

In about a year, we're moving to the Phoenix area. We don't anticipate staying permanently, we're moving there to be near an aging relative who may need us, and, sadly but realistically to eventually deal with estate stuff when that time comes. Luckily my company has an office in Scottsdale, so I can transfer. The relative lives in Chandler. We are a 41 & 61 year old couple who have no kids, one cat, and we plan to rent a house. I'd need to keep rent under $1,600 a month, which hopefully is still doable a year from now (it looks possible now, but the market has been kind of crazy. Here in CO, too, so not a shock.) I'm hoping for a 3 BR, 2 BA minimum for that price. We have a lot of stuff and it would be nice not to have to get a storage unit...

So we don't care about schools, but we're hoping that we can find a home that is in decent shape to live in, in a quiet neighborhood, and we need to be able to easily get to Chandler & Scottsdale. On a map, it looks like Tempe, Mesa, northern parts of Gilbert or Chandler maybe, would work.

Any areas I should avoid in that region?

And can I ask about scorpions? If anyone lives in that part of the Phoenix area, do you find them in your house? Our relative in Chandler says it's never been a problem where he lives. I am wondering if it's because he lives in a nice home that is pretty "tight" and keeps pests out fairly well. I have found in my wanderings and renting homes across the country that sometimes a rental that isn't maintained well, you'll see more pests of any kind getting in... Or are scorpions in particular found more or less in different places around and outside the city?

Like I am not terrified of seeing one, necessarily, but I worry about my cat, I would think its sting could probably kill a cat? Is there anything you can do to repel them?

Any general advice I should keep in mind? I'm a meticulous planner, so I'm starting to sort out a timeline for this move now.

Thanks!

Scorpions are mostly problematic in communities that back one of the mountains. We have them in our neighborhood and have dealt with them in our home and have mostly gotten a handle on it. People that don't live in mountain backing neighborhoods seems to have little to no issue with them.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Lots of threads on scorpions, as stated above.

I would stay out of West Mesa, depending on how often you have to be in the office or with your relative, maybe balance that distance? If you stick around the 101 corridor, that is the easiest way between Chandler and Scottsdale (about a 20 minute drive outside of rush hours).

On the cat and scorpions...that is why we have 3 cats. They like to trap and play with them. They glow green to a cat's vision and look like a glowing toy. They can and do get stung (they are not immune to scorpion stings) but it hasn't seemed to affect any of our cats. Now if your cat is lazy and not a good hunter, that is another story...but I honestly have never heard of a cat killed by a scorpion sting.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:25 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Hello Spork!

We're in far northwest Peoria, totally the opposite side of town from what you're considering.

Scorpions are a minor issue for us. We get little ones in the house a couple times a year, I smack them with a fly swatter, scoop them up with the swatter, and flush them.

Probably best to have the exterior treated by an extermination, ours is $99/quarter.

You'll find the road system here a dream compared to COLO SPGS.

I know nothing about that side of the metro area so you'll have to rely on our other regular posters.

Scottsdale, IMO, is the swanky side of town, has a ton of nice medical practices, good shopping, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:09 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times
I've never run into a scorpion, either.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:39 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
That is very reassuring! I took a look at those threads, see some mixed reports. I'm glad to hear that one can have one's yard sprayed and such to help control for them.

Heck, I am personally more afraid of the idea of the bees...but it seems folks will find a way to coexist with any kind of creatures and I suppose I will, too.

KurtAZ, avoid West Mesa? Is it just...not as great an area or what? (Just curious.) But thanks, I will try to focus on rentals that are close to 101, that would definitely help us. Relative's home isn't too far from the Chandler Fashion Center mall area, and now that I look, my company's office is really close to 101, too. My cat...well he is not lazy, exactly, more than your typical cat, but he's not a great hunter either. He's a very silly floof who gets confused about moths, and occasionally spins around too fast or loses traction and runs into the wall. I mean points for effort and enthusiasm, but...

Mike, I knew that you moved to the Phoenix area, heck maybe if you're still there when I get there, I'll reach out and see if you want to grab a friendly coffee and chitchat or something, it's always fun to meet CD folks in person, I've managed to get together with a couple of posters over the years here and there and it's neat to put a face to the name. Or maybe hot coffee isn't as appealing in hot Arizona! lol I don't know.

Oh, and I've enjoyed the relative lack of critters like roaches and fleas in Colorado Springs, I read in one of the scorpion threads that roaches can be an issue, how about fleas? Do pet owners have to religiously treat for those, even if the pet doesn't go outside?

Old 09-22-2020, 06:19 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
That is very reassuring! I took a look at those threads, see some mixed reports. I'm glad to hear that one can have one's yard sprayed and such to help control for them.

Heck, I am personally more afraid of the idea of the bees...but it seems folks will find a way to coexist with any kind of creatures and I suppose I will, too.

KurtAZ, avoid West Mesa? Is it just...not as great an area or what? (Just curious.) But thanks, I will try to focus on rentals that are close to 101, that would definitely help us. Relative's home isn't too far from the Chandler Fashion Center mall area, and now that I look, my company's office is really close to 101, too. My cat...well he is not lazy, exactly, more than your typical cat, but he's not a great hunter either. He's a very silly floof who gets confused about moths, and occasionally spins around too fast or loses traction and runs into the wall. I mean points for effort and enthusiasm, but...
I've lived and worked (and still do work) in the vicinity of the Chandler Fashion Mall for years. Anything in that general area is fine for a living situation in my opinion.

If you wind up leasing a place when it's hot (let's say May through September timeframe) you could ask to see the place at night. Bring a black light and look for scorpions outside on the house or in the gravel. They can be controlled, but it takes some time. (I unfortunately have lots of experience).

Old 12-04-2020, 10:35 PM

70 posts, read 211,360 times
Quote:

Mike, I knew that you moved to the Phoenix area, heck maybe if you're still there when I get there, I'll reach out and see if you want to grab a friendly coffee and chitchat or something, it's always fun to meet CD folks in person, I've managed to get together with a couple of posters over the years here and there and it's neat to put a face to the name. Or maybe hot coffee isn't as appealing in hot Arizona! lol I don't know.

Oh, and I've enjoyed the relative lack of critters like roaches and fleas in Colorado Springs, I read in one of the scorpion threads that roaches can be an issue, how about fleas? Do pet owners have to religiously treat for those, even if the pet doesn't go outside?

This house has been in my family since the early ‘50s, and we’ve never seen any scorpions in the house or the yard.We live near 19th Ave and Bethany Home Road. We’ve also had several really nice new neighbors move around us, and it has been so great to see families going for walks and children playing. We have cats and dogs and have never needed to treat for fleas.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:12 AM

53 posts, read 45,719 times
I was looking at Craigslist and saw a few 3/2 homes for rent in all of the cities you mentioned. They are mostly older homes with limited amenities.. the cheapest rentals are in Tempe and likely neighborhoods full of ASU students. Not sure how you would feel living in an area like this at your age. You might be able to find a place in South Scottsdale as well. I think it would be challenging to find a place in Gilbert and commuting will be rough.

I agree with avoiding West Mesa, between the 60/202/101 and Brown Rd. These neighborhoods can be quite spotty.

Some good locations for your needs would be the sections of Mesa and Chandler that are between the 60/101/87 and Ray Rd. Very close access to the 101 for easy commuting to the Chandler Fashion Square and Scottsdale. Safer than West Mesa, more of a family vibe than Tempe or South Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area