Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,079 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! I am in the process of moving to Phoenix, AZ from Kalamazoo, MI sometime in December. I am looking for somewhere safe that does not have drug or gang activity. There are so many conflicting websites that I have found; what one says is great another says should be a no go to. Work commutes do not matter as I am also in process of finding a job once I know where it is I will be living. I read Chandler is a nice area but a little out of my budget. Also Scottsdale was another one that ranked high in safety. If you know of any other areas in Phoenix that would be a good fit for a family it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by Snow2Desert; 10-14-2020 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add in to receive any other areas in Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 06:07 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow2Desert View Post
Hi everyone!! I am in the process of moving to Phoenix, AZ from Kalamazoo, MI sometime in December. I am looking for somewhere safe that does not have drug or gang activity. There are so many conflicting websites that I have found; what one says is great another says should be a no go to. Work commutes do not matter as I am also in process of finding a job once I know where it is I will be living. I read Chandler is a nice area but a little out of my budget. Also Scottsdale was another one that ranked high in safety. If you know of any other areas in Phoenix that would be a good fit for a family it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input!
It may be easier to find a place near where you will work, so where will that be?

Old 10-14-2020, 06:12 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
It may be easier to find a place near where you will work, so where will that be?
I live in Northeastern Minnesota, next to Lake Superior. Winter is coming soon. There is a chill in the night, and fall feel in the air. Soon there will be the cold walks, and with it will come cold cold cold nights, with sometimes cutting winds, that makes breathing hard. The temps get cold, many times the lows will be -30F and colder. The coldest day on record happened a few years ago in Northern Minnesota, with -60F. That record still stands, -10 to -20F is normal.

Hope you find a nice place to live, I know I have,

Cheers.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:09 PM

416 posts, read 535,224 times
Try looking in 85324. A few local jobs but plenty within 15 to 20 freeway miles. Good spot for a truck driver too.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. As for work we have money saved up and my husband is a truck driver. I will look for employment when we find a place to live.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I live in Northeastern Minnesota, next to Lake Superior. Winter is coming soon. There is a chill in the night, and fall feel in the air. Soon there will be the cold walks, and with it will come cold cold cold nights, with sometimes cutting winds, that makes breathing hard. The temps get cold, many times the lows will be -30F and colder. The coldest day on record happened a few years ago in Northern Minnesota, with -60F. That record still stands, -10 to -20F is normal.

Hope you find a nice place to live, I know I have,

Cheers.
Southwestern Michigan gets cold but not that cold. Lol, I can’t handle the frigid temps so might as well as move to a different time zone and a complete different weather pattern. So important to love where you live, and I’m glad you are enjoying the Northeastern part of Minnesota.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 PM

53 posts, read 45,665 times
I would recommend the Deer Valley area of North Phoenix or North Glendale

Old 10-15-2020, 07:34 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
One of the toughest things for transplants from the midwest to figure out is how both Tucson & Phoenix are laid out. Unlike midwestern cities where the worst crime is in the center of the bullseye and it gets progressively better as you move outwards, it's not like that in Arizona. It's quite possible to have million dollar homes in the same zip code (often blocks from each other) as low income multi-tenant dwellings prone to crime. You really need to do your homework on the ground out here.

As an example, before I moved to Tucson our family looked at a house near Cave Creek & Dunlap. A few blocks away it's pretty sketchy and the local park is full of homeless people. But the house we looked at was up on a giant hill and from chatting with the neighbors they told us that essentially it's too tough for the homeless people to push a shopping cart up that incline. A night and day difference in crime, property values and overall neighborhood all within half a mile.

Another example from living in the west valley in Avondale. Lived in a newly built subdivision with a strong HOA that looked pretty nice. Only downside is that all of the subdivisions had built around an older neighborhood first established for migrant farm workers 50+ years ago. The people that lived in that neighborhood included a lot of gang members who viewed our subdivision as a prime place for property crime and auto theft.

Get a short term rental while checking the place out and don't be afraid of talking to potential neighbors. Your real estate agent has their hands tied as to what they can & can't say.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Look at Peoria, the northwest part of the metro area.

I'm way up in Vistancia and there is NOTHING sketchy up here, we're also in a gated 55+ community and there are communities for all ages that are not gated.

Search realtor.com for zip code 85383
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Really depends on which company he is working with or is he an owner/operator? Swift is in the SW valley, i.e. Tolleson/Phoenix area. Knight is up off of I-17 and the 101 Loop. Most of the warehouses are out in the Avenues along I-10.

As far as safe neighborhoods...you really can't pin down certain areas as being "bad" per se...run down, poorer areas sure but your rental budget is going to determine the kind of folks that surround you. Gilbert is rated one of the safest cities in the US, Chandler, East Mesa (stay out of West Mesa) Tempe, North and central Phoenix, North Glendale...I mean all of these areas are fine. For a family with kids, I would be looking at the school districts though as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area