Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 04:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I don't go into the city much, but what area in Phoenix is the absolute worst for crime?
Maryvale, and after that some areas near the I-17 between Durango St up to Northern Ave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 07:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,779,911 times
COVID. Lock people up, take away their gym/childcare/job/in-person therapy etc and you've got a real disaster.

I work in a psychiatric setting and can confirm in our normal lull, we were at full capacity. Also have heard of peoples woes in an outpatient psych setting. People can only take so much. You tell them they can't work, and they have to be in a house with their whole family 24/7, oh and they must homeschool their children and that'll break any sane human. Now let's pile on what's been happening across the country.

It's like the public health officials only thought of physical health - some states did better considering the mental health ramifications than others. All of sudden we are concerned about deaths caused by homicides and suicides.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
COVID. Lock people up, take away their gym/childcare/job/in-person therapy etc and you've got a real disaster.

I work in a psychiatric setting and can confirm in our normal lull, we were at full capacity. Also have heard of peoples woes in an outpatient psych setting. People can only take so much. You tell them they can't work, and they have to be in a house with their whole family 24/7, oh and they must homeschool their children and that'll break any sane human. Now let's pile on what's been happening across the country.

It's like the public health officials only thought of physical health - some states did better considering the mental health ramifications than others. All of sudden we are concerned about deaths caused by homicides and suicides.
The hyperbole here is funny. No one mandated that anyone sit around at home 24/7 with their whole family. There are plenty of ways to get out of the house while also being safe and mindful of the pandemic. Losing a job is not good for mental health, that’s for sure, but the rest only applies to those that want to be a victim of the current situation that can’t think outside of the box to keep their brains healthy. They’d be failing under normal circumstances too.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The hyperbole here is funny. No one mandated that anyone sit around at home 24/7 with their whole family. There are plenty of ways to get out of the house while also being safe and mindful of the pandemic. Losing a job is not good for mental health, that’s for sure, but the rest only applies to those that want to be a victim of the current situation that can’t think outside of the box to keep their brains healthy. They’d be failing under normal circumstances too.
I don’t disagree that many people that struggle with mental illness can have a defeatist mindset but who am I to judge if that’s due to their mental illness, trauma, or a myriad of other factors (including biological) that tend to impact the mentally ill population? Unless we’ve walked in their shoes we can’t possibly understand what it’s like to go through what they’re going through (or any other human on this earth). I listen to what patients tell me and what data tells me and that shows the whole country is really struggling mentally.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I don’t disagree that many people that struggle with mental illness can have a defeatist mindset but who am I to judge if that’s due to their mental illness, trauma, or a myriad of other factors (including biological) that tend to impact the mentally ill population? Unless we’ve walked in their shoes we can’t possibly understand what it’s like to go through what they’re going through (or any other human on this earth). I listen to what patients tell me and what data tells me and that shows the whole country is really struggling mentally.
I don’t disagree. Hopefully we get a fresh start beginning in 2021 with less rhetoric and divisiveness. I want to go back to hating people because they talk smack about the Lions (who can blame them though?). Not because they support repugnant politicians.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t disagree. Hopefully we get a fresh start beginning in 2021 with less rhetoric and divisiveness. I want to go back to hating people because they talk smack about the Lions (who can blame them though?). Not because they support repugnant politicians.
Exactly!

Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,882,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I am sorry - what? So (I am exaggerating for effect) the population increased 50 percent but homicides are only up 44% - that would actually mean a DECREASE on a per capita basis.
I think he means 44% of the total current population as apposed to say...25% of the total population last year (or whatever is was in 2019). Besides, I dont think the Phoenix area population has risen 50% in last year or even in the last 10 years. So a 44% increase would be significant.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:02 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,353,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I think he means 44% of the total current population as apposed to say...25% of the total population last year (or whatever is was in 2019). Besides, I dont think the Phoenix area population has risen 50% in last year or even in the last 10 years. So a 44% increase would be significant.
Yes, I said I was exaggerating for effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area