Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 09:45 PM

52 posts, read 46,255 times

Advertisements

I think it is a regional thing. Probably left over from pre-air conditioning days. Folks would leave their doors and windows open, but this allowed them to secure the doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 08:27 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
we have those doors, and live in a very nice neighborhood

as others have said, these are not "security" by any means, cut the screen, reach in, open door

mine has handle locks and key locks both in and out, but I never lock them.. strictly for letting air through the house..

Old 02-14-2021, 11:45 AM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
we have those doors, and live in a very nice neighborhood

as others have said, these are not "security" by any means, cut the screen, reach in, open door

mine has handle locks and key locks both in and out, but I never lock them.. strictly for letting air through the house..
To be clear, mine does not have a nylon screen that you can cut, it is a steel sheet about 1mm thick with small holes. Looks similar to a typical screen. Same with the one in the picture that I posted. It is a security door, no doubt, but not an obvious one since it is decorative and functional as a screen door. I've seen the type with steel bars and a nylon screen, but this type is different. It would hard to tell the difference from a distance.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I live in a subdivision in TX,our bylaw does no allow us to have barred front doors and windows but in 2008,many houses were burglarised by breaking the window of the bathroom which faces the backyard,and it is no big deal to get into the backyard.
Our front and back doors are metal,but the frame is wood, my neighbor has her back door frame wacked and the burglar managed to break into her house,went to her garage,open the garage door and drove his truck in.
He then started taking silverware,laptop,tv sets etc and loaded them into his truck at 3 :30 am.
my neighbor was not home,she was not well so she spent days at her son's home.
Most thieves would not break into the house via the front,rather the back,so it is better to install a metal door to your back door.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
To be clear, mine does not have a nylon screen that you can cut, it is a steel sheet about 1mm thick with small holes. Looks similar to a typical screen. Same with the one in the picture that I posted. It is a security door, no doubt, but not an obvious one since it is decorative and functional as a screen door. I've seen the type with steel bars and a nylon screen, but this type is different. It would hard to tell the difference from a distance.
thats a nice setup! not sure if I ever saw one, but I bet some of my neighbors who have the "same" door have metal perforated screens too, now that you pointed that out..I'll have to check that out!

thanks

Old 02-14-2021, 12:44 PM

409 posts, read 398,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
thats a nice setup! not sure if I ever saw one, but I bet some of my neighbors who have the "same" door have metal perforated screens too, now that you pointed that out..I'll have to check that out!

thanks
Yeah I have the nylon screen type with a few decorative bars, it isnt stopping anyone lol

Old 02-14-2021, 06:48 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Security Doors and Window Bars are GREAT . . .

Plenty of "exhaust outlets" for the Swamp Cooler and Fresh Air plus ample security and peace of mind.

CANNOT BE BEAT.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:48 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And so the kids and dogs don't run off. One could have an aluminum screen door like you see in the midwest, but the HOAs we all live under would have a fit about that. FWIW barred windows are a no-no in the HOA I am in. I don't know what we will do if we decay.
Or have to escape a house fire through a window.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:37 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,414,990 times
In Vegas, they were kicking in the front doors.. occupied or not. There is a reinforcement kit you can buy for 30 bucks or so that can prevent this... That would be a nice compliment to the pi turned door. Insurance will require releases on barred windows.. I had bars on the inside of my windows before, that went over the curtains.. Tigers and elephants attacking humans wasn't unheard of..

Old 02-15-2021, 06:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Or have to escape a house fire through a window.
Newer ones have release levers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area