Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these suburbs has the most friendliest and laid back people?
Phoenix, AZ City Limits 4 10.26%
Scottsdale, AZ 7 17.95%
Mesa, AZ 4 10.26%
Chandler, AZ 1 2.56%
Gilbert, AZ 3 7.69%
Apache Jct, AZ 0 0%
Peoria, AZ 2 5.13%
Gendale, AZ 2 5.13%
Tolleson, AZ 1 2.56%
Surprise, AZ 0 0%
Moon Valley, AZ 1 2.56%
Tempe, AZ 8 20.51%
Queen Creek, AZ 3 7.69%
San Tan Valley, AZ 0 0%
Surprise, AZ 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:50 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
Nahh, people are so nice in Scottsdale. I accidentally bumped into someone in Scottsdale and the kind lady said, "don't worry about it." While in Tucson, they say, "watch it buddy." I've had all positive experiences in Scottsdale. If anything, the least friendliest suburb in Maricopa County is Mesa. Anywhere else is friendly, some areas more than others. Phoenix is just like any big city, some nice areas and some not so nice areas. The majority of people are nice here.
Is this thread fake? How can you possibly make a judgement about an entire city based on two interactions of bumping into people? This is so weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
But what city has the mostest, bestest, friendliest people? Tough call, right?

Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
When did Moon Valley become a suburb? And others were somehow left off the list, including: Fountain Hills, Goodyear, Avondale, El Mirage, Buckeye, Anthem, etc. Do these not count? Seriously, the further out you go, the chances are usually higher of finding more "laid back" people.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:29 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I feel like jealousy/envy is also a personality flaw.
And I feel like being defensive from my comment is a bigger personality flaw. If you’re so secure and happy living there you wouldn’t care about what I have to say. But as someone who has lived in Scottsdale on and off for a grand total of 5 years (approximately 20% of all of my time on Earth) and frequents the city constantly for her whole life even when I’m not living in Scottsdale proper, and has lived in other cities in the metro too that can be used to compare, I feel like my comment stands over someone with vague anecdotal incidents or a resident who had only lived in one suburb.

Us long-term residents who have moved between the suburbs and as a result spent significant amounts of time living in more than one suburb really are the only ones with any grounds for a solid opinion in a thread like this. None of them would say Scottsdale is the most humble and laid back. Would you say that about Beverly Hills or Orange County for Los Angeles too?

Old 04-22-2021, 11:40 PM

88 posts, read 86,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
And I feel like being defensive from my comment is a bigger personality flaw. If you’re so secure and happy living there you wouldn’t care about what I have to say. But as someone who has lived in Scottsdale on and off for a grand total of 5 years (approximately 20% of all of my time on Earth) and frequents the city constantly for her whole life even when I’m not living in Scottsdale proper, and has lived in other cities in the metro too that can be used to compare, I feel like my comment stands over someone with vague anecdotal incidents or a resident who had only lived in one suburb.

Us long-term residents who have moved between the suburbs and as a result spent significant amounts of time living in more than one suburb really are the only ones with any grounds for a solid opinion in a thread like this. None of them would say Scottsdale is the most humble and laid back. Would you say that about Beverly Hills or Orange County for Los Angeles too?
I was in LA not too long ago. It seemed laid back in my opinion. I think Phoenix though is friendlier than LA. The people are definitely more polite in Phoenix than in California.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:47 PM

88 posts, read 86,002 times
I was in Tempe this evening, and I don't think Tempe is laid back. I was doing food delivery. I parked at a Popeyes and I find out the door is locked. A car came and the guy got down and he saw the door was locked. Then, he got back in his car fast, and he pulled out fast and went to the drive thru. Then another car pulled in incredibly fast and went through the drive thru. I felt like I got cut in line. Also, so many people were walking and were crossing the street right in front of me when I pulled out of parking lots. A guy came so fast on his bike, I did not even see him.

I'd say Tempe and Mesa are not laid back. You know, I have yet to spend more time in the west valley. I wonder if the west valley is laid back, such as Peoria, Glendale, Surprise, Avondale, Tolleson, etc.

Has anyone been cut in line in the Phoenix metro area? Idk why I have. One lady apologized. Then another lady cut me in line at Whole Foods and ordered food before I did, when I was waiting for a long time. I started noticing a line cutting culture in Arizona. Is it a thing to cut in line over here?

Also, is it an Arizona rule that you cannot get in the hot tub if someone else is already in it? When I try to sit in the hot tub at my apartment complex, people give me a dirty look, no one talks, and then they leave eventually. 2 days ago, people in swim suits came, saw me, and turned back around with their towels. I've had this happen in Tucson as well. I'm starting to think it's an Arizona thing. I live in Chandler too. I wonder if people do that in other suburbs of Phoenix.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:56 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:

I think it's odd that it is considered "snobby" to drive nice cars and stay in nice hotels on vacation. Anyone looking down someone for spending their money on these things comes across as envious.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:22 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
And I feel like being defensive from my comment is a bigger personality flaw. If you’re so secure and happy living there you wouldn’t care about what I have to say.
Do you see the irony in your post? You are defensive by calling out someone who you claim is defensive. I'm not busting your chops. But I figured I'd point it out.

Most people who can afford it, like nicer stuff. And as you said, it's human nature for people to want to live around others who are more like them. I don't think of someone as being a snob if they own a nice car or nice house. But I do know people who are fairly well off that go out of their way to dumb-down and underbuy what they can afford. Their goal is not to seem flashy. While it seems admirable, I think it's a wasted effort. If you want it and you have the $$'s, buy it.

I've spent a lot of time in Surprise and lately, areas of North Scottsdale area. At the core, I don't see a lot of personality differences. But I'm not hanging out at the country club. I find the conversations more interesting. But it is blatantly obvious that people have deeper pockets to buy nicer cars, nicer clothes, take care of themselves better etc. But does that make them a snob?

If you stare closer, most of the cars on the Scottsdale roads are more expensive on average. But often, they don't cost any more than a nice pick-up truck. I see a lot of entry-level Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, around me. If you think about it, these are typical cars in Europe and no one thinks twice about them being snobby. Obviously, a MacLaren or an occasional Lamborghini fits the bill of being showy. But again, you cannot call them a "snob" based on what they drive. In my opinion, you really need to know them before you can call them a snob.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:04 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
I was in Tempe this evening, and I don't think Tempe is laid back. I was doing food delivery. I parked at a Popeyes and I find out the door is locked. A car came and the guy got down and he saw the door was locked. Then, he got back in his car fast, and he pulled out fast and went to the drive thru. Then another car pulled in incredibly fast and went through the drive thru. I felt like I got cut in line. Also, so many people were walking and were crossing the street right in front of me when I pulled out of parking lots. A guy came so fast on his bike, I did not even see him.

I'd say Tempe and Mesa are not laid back. You know, I have yet to spend more time in the west valley. I wonder if the west valley is laid back, such as Peoria, Glendale, Surprise, Avondale, Tolleson, etc.

Has anyone been cut in line in the Phoenix metro area? Idk why I have. One lady apologized. Then another lady cut me in line at Whole Foods and ordered food before I did, when I was waiting for a long time. I started noticing a line cutting culture in Arizona. Is it a thing to cut in line over here?

Also, is it an Arizona rule that you cannot get in the hot tub if someone else is already in it? When I try to sit in the hot tub at my apartment complex, people give me a dirty look, no one talks, and then they leave eventually. 2 days ago, people in swim suits came, saw me, and turned back around with their towels. I've had this happen in Tucson as well. I'm starting to think it's an Arizona thing. I live in Chandler too. I wonder if people do that in other suburbs of Phoenix.
Dude....something just tells me you give off a certain vibe or something. Maybe the same reason you're having no success with girls at ASU. Maybe the same reason everyone is reading your posts on this forum and thinking WTF is going on here.

Maybe try to find a friend you can hop in the hot tub with. People are a lot less intimidated when people are in groups. Girls don't typically like entering a hot tub with some random guy just chilling in there by himself. It's weird. It's not an Arizona thing...it's a "girl safety thing."

Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly pear View Post
i was born in “snobsdale”, my dad’s family lives there and i have lived in city limits for short stints on numerous occasion. Why i call it “snobsdale” like many other locals is not based on old town but rather central and north scottsdale. Or did we forget that silverleaf and the carefree areas of far north scottsdale exists too, in addition to central scottsdale that borders paradise valley? My dad’s side lives in central scottsdale and while i love them to pieces, they are snobby. Driving the newest luxury vehicles, going on the nicest international trips... But this is also why they are so adamant on wanting to stay in their neighborhood despite their complaints on what patio homes and townhouses go for in scottsdale these days: The community fits them. People want to live amongst others like them, this is scientific fact.

Being snobby is a personality flaw. Everyone has personality flaws, i’m sure i have some myself. But you cannot be laid back if you are a snob and in some cases you can’t even be friendly as a snob. So scottsdale should not be leading this poll, because a strikingly significant majority of scottsdale fits it and why the nickname came to be.

Scottsdale’s best neighborhood has and will always be south scottsdale. Truly an exception to the rest of scottsdale.
100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area