Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2021, 10:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 3,344,280 times

Advertisements

I consider the area of Shea Blvd and 101 to be a pretty good area. Unfortunately, you aren’t really completely safe anywhere in the Phoenix area.

This story was in azfamily.com, the title “Scottsdale man recovering after house ransacked in violent home invasion”.

But this post isn’t about how safe you are, because based on previous experience in this forum, there are a bunch of people here who like to laugh off all of the crime in the area.

This post is to just give you a few pointers in case you don’t know.

After reading the story, it looks like the guy made a big mistake and inadvertently caused this all to happen to him. I used to be an insurance adjuster, so I seen this type of thing more often than I cared to.

Basically, it’s a “secondary theft”. What happens is that criminals will steal your car, perhaps you had to go into Phoenix somewhere driving an expensive car, and it caught the attention of someone who wanted to steal it.

But after your car is stolen, you must protect yourself. Because there is a decent chance they will come for you again. You absolutely must change your remote garage door opener immediately. Don’t forget about it, or assume they won’t come. Next, more than likely you probably have a home alarm system, and you must set it before you go to sleep. Don’t assume you are safe anymore, criminals now know where you live. Lastly, you must be armed and ready for any home invasion. But not just armed, you need to acquire the training in order to be ready to act. If you don’t have that repetitive training, you will freeze up in a crisis, guaranteed.

This guy, sadly, wasn’t in the state of readiness he needed to be in.

One other thing I seen a lot: If your house gets broken into, the first thing you should look for is the spare keys/fobs of all your vehicles. Most people get shaken up after their home gets invaded, and they only look at big items being missing like computers, TVs, jewelry,gold, etc. They don’t immediately think about spare keys, and criminals will come back the very same night and steal your vehicle with the spare key. I seen this time and time again.

If this post even helps one person out, to think about what can happen, I’ll feel like it was worth writing.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:07 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I consider the area of Shea Blvd and 101 to be a pretty good area. Unfortunately, you aren’t really completely safe anywhere in the Phoenix area.

This story was in azfamily.com, the title “Scottsdale man recovering after house ransacked in violent home invasion”.

But this post isn’t about how safe you are, because based on previous experience in this forum, there are a bunch of people here who like to laugh off all of the crime in the area.

This post is to just give you a few pointers in case you don’t know.

After reading the story, it looks like the guy made a big mistake and inadvertently caused this all to happen to him. I used to be an insurance adjuster, so I seen this type of thing more often than I cared to.

Basically, it’s a “secondary theft”. What happens is that criminals will steal your car, perhaps you had to go into Phoenix somewhere driving an expensive car, and it caught the attention of someone who wanted to steal it.

But after your car is stolen, you must protect yourself. Because there is a decent chance they will come for you again. You absolutely must change your remote garage door opener immediately. Don’t forget about it, or assume they won’t come. Next, more than likely you probably have a home alarm system, and you must set it before you go to sleep. Don’t assume you are safe anymore, criminals now know where you live. Lastly, you must be armed and ready for any home invasion. But not just armed, you need to acquire the training in order to be ready to act. If you don’t have that repetitive training, you will freeze up in a crisis, guaranteed.

This guy, sadly, wasn’t in the state of readiness he needed to be in.

One other thing I seen a lot: If your house gets broken into, the first thing you should look for is the spare keys/fobs of all your vehicles. Most people get shaken up after their home gets invaded, and they only look at big items being missing like computers, TVs, jewelry,gold, etc. They don’t immediately think about spare keys, and criminals will come back the very same night and steal your vehicle with the spare key. I seen this time and time again.

If this post even helps one person out, to think about what can happen, I’ll feel like it was worth writing.
It should go without saying that if your car is stolen, you better reprogram your openers… Pronto! Additionally to streamline the process, I would highly recommend people preprint out the step by step reprogramming instructions so they are at your fingertips. Personally, I have my instructions in my bunker next to the dried food and backup Geiger counter. One of my idiot neighbors had his printout under his pillow while holding his pistol. That’s not safe! The bulky paper may slow you getting your shot off quickly.

And if this next statement can help just ONE person, it will be worth it. Please, don’t forget to tell the security person who mans your gated Scottsdale community that your electronic HOA gate pass needs to be deactivated! I learned that tip after the 2nd time my car was stolen. To beat a thief, you need to think like one.

Stay safe out there people! All in fun!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-06-2021 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 08:00 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Openers? Reprogram? What's a garage? Mine is parked in the driveway. Most of the garages in my neighborhood have been converted into extra rooms.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:54 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
I thought you were actually held at gun point based on the title of this thread, glad it didn't happen to you directly. Good pointers, I would say this thread goes for anywhere you live and is not really unique to Phoenix at all. Perhaps a national crime thread is a better spot for it?

Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Hi, correcting another poster's grammar or spelling, and other digs at their intelligence, is rude, adds nothing to the discussion, and will be removed when reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area