Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 10:08 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times

Advertisements

Almost made an offer on a house east of 12th Street behind the bowling alley. It was up a fairly steep hill and when I asked neighbors about how safe the area was they joked that the homeless can't push their shopping carts up the hill and they were not an issue.

Used to go to the trails at the end of 7th Ave and Peoria before they built that police substation there. It was eye opening to say the least in the early 2000's to drive through the area at daybreak. All the drug dealers and hookers were heading home for the night. It is almost night and day around there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 12:35 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Pretty good supply of homes under 50k there, after the last crash.
Which crash ... early 1990s? Nothing in the Phoenix area has been valued as less than $50K in the last 25 years, even in Sunnyslope. Although, a house on fire might fall into that range.
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I said back in 2008 if the market hadn't crashed, Sunnyslope would be the next hip neighborhood. It has almost everything going for it. Location, scenery and a supply of cheap houses waiting to be fixed up. Only thing wrong with the area is the overabundance of multi-tenant housing. We seriously looked around Sunnyslope for a house before we left town. Had we stayed in Phoenix I'd be living in either Sunnyslope or a few blocks away in the Moon Valley area.
Sunnyslope can & should be revitalized, but I think it's too much of a working class area, and it seems there isn't a great deal of interest to turn it into a "hip hood". It's too bad because Both Dunlap & Hatcher between 7th Avenue & 7th Street could easily be revamped into a charming north central urban area, but it's going to involve more than just moving out the homeless & adding a brewery or a BBQ place. It could become another Melrose possibly, but even the Melrose area still has a lot of improvements to make.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:33 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's too bad because Both Dunlap & Hatcher between 7th Avenue & 7th Street could easily be revamped into a charming north central urban area, but it's going to involve more than just moving out the homeless & adding a brewery or a BBQ place. It could become another Melrose possibly, but even the Melrose area still has a lot of improvements to make.
Hatcher would need a lot of work, I don't ever see that turning into a nice street. Too many industrial businesses tucked away on those side streets along with too many run down apartment complexes plus hordes of homeless. The potential in Sunnyslope is North Central Ave over to Cave Creek Road along Dunlap then up along Cave Creek.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:19 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Which crash ... early 1990s? Nothing in the Phoenix area has been valued as less than $50K in the last 25 years, even in Sunnyslope. Although, a house on fire might fall into that range.
()

Sunnyslope can & should be revitalized, but I think it's too much of a working class area, and it seems there isn't a great deal of interest to turn it into a "hip hood". It's too bad because Both Dunlap & Hatcher between 7th Avenue & 7th Street could easily be revamped into a charming north central urban area, but it's going to involve more than just moving out the homeless & adding a brewery or a BBQ place. It could become another Melrose possibly, but even the Melrose area still has a lot of improvements to make.
Bought a SFR on n 8th st in 2010 for 18,500. Paid 22000 for a townhouse condo at royal palm village in 2009.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Hatcher would need a lot of work, I don't ever see that turning into a nice street. Too many industrial businesses tucked away on those side streets along with too many run down apartment complexes plus hordes of homeless. The potential in Sunnyslope is North Central Ave over to Cave Creek Road along Dunlap then up along Cave Creek.
Don't forget Hatcher runs all the way up the mountain to the east. The road actually ends around 17th Street or so as the preserve and a hiking trail is right there. (you can catch Trail 100 from that point) A lot of the area east of 7th Street/Cave Creek has tons of nice mid century houses that get more expensive (in to the million dollar range as you go up). I'd say anything west of Central would fit your description above, but east of there it gets much better.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,174 times
The eastern flank of Hatcher referenced above is definitely on the up and up. It's primed to be gentrified in the coming years.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
The eastern flank of Hatcher referenced above is definitely on the up and up. It's primed to be gentrified in the coming years.
I wonder about the flood risks on Hatcher...

Old 08-05-2021, 02:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Sunnyslope probably will be gentrified. It's in the process sort of already due to Sunnyslope High having a good reputation for education.

Also, where are you finding homes for 50k? People are lucky enough to find a job here that pays 50k, let alone a house/condo etc.
Looks like a dump to me homeless drug addicts everywhere on Hatcher between 19th, and 7th street. Most homes have bars on the windows maybe it will be Gentrified not in the next 30 years. Just because home prices shot up doesn't get rid of the street transients. They get section 8 rent controlled places lot of junky apartments around there they live in.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:11 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Looks like a dump to me homeless drug addicts everywhere on Hatcher between 19th, and 7th street. Most homes have bars on the windows maybe it will be Gentrified not in the next 30 years. Just because home prices shot up doesn't get rid of the street transients. They get section 8 rent controlled places lot of junky apartments around there they live in.
It does get better east of 7th St, but since you're in Scottsdale it may look all the same to you. But it is definitely not the same east of 7th St.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:09 PM

175 posts, read 464,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Pretty good supply of homes under 50k there, after the last crash.

If you can find a home in Sunnyslope for under 200k buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area