Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 12,965 times

Advertisements

As an almost native Phoenician, I'd pick their weather any day to the HUMID hot summers we enjoy in north Texas--I'll take dry vs. humid any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The difference is, MI will probably never see 90 degrees with a 80% humidity reading. 80% humidity readings are usually in the mornings and late night, when the temps are cool and its not bad at all. On those occasional days when it reaches 90 degrees in MI, humidity readings are normally around 30-50% during peak temps, anything above that and it starts to get uncomfortable.

Just for grins n giggles I checked and found that Detroit only averages 12 days a year that are 90 degrees, and places like Traverse City only 8. Iron Mountain, MI only gets 4. IMO, MI (especially northern MI) has the best summers Ive yet to experience. Mackinac Island in summer is a dream-come-true, very pleasant temps and nice cool nights.
Very true Steve-o! Even when there is a "Heat Wave" it only last a week back there. I have said this a million times but its not the "Hot day" we experience, it's "how long" we experience the heat. It's not that bad for a week, but for 5 months it's a little much. A lot like long winters. Thats why people should rotate, that's right, rotate. We should all have a schedule like daylight savings time. We all have 2 locations and have to switch on a cycle so we don't get too sick of a long summer or a long winter. he he Wouldn't that just solve it all.
If only summer would end here in Aug. instead of extending into Oct. I wouldn't complain a bit. I hate when people act like this is Southern California, it's not, it's Arizona!!! Hot Hot Hot!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM

219 posts, read 779,127 times
I am also skeptical of people who complain 85 and 90% humidity is worse than 115 degrees. While I agree the humidity greatly increases discomfort, it by no means accounts for 30 additional degrees of heat.

Many people are quick to argue that other areas of the country can be 90 and 90% humidity, but in actuality that does not exist (with the possible exception of the Persian Gulf). I regularly check wunderground.com for past data, and even in Miami, 90 and 70% humidity is exceptionally rare, which would produce a heat index of about 107, a common occurance in Phoenix. While it might get to 80 or 90% humidity and the temperature in the southeast, northeast, or midwest might be 95 in the summer, NOT AT THE SAME TIME. It might be 90% humidity and 78 degrees in the morning and then 95 and 40% humidity in the afternoon, which would not be an everyday occurence in the majority of the country, anyway. As the temperature increases the relative humidity decreases in an almost directly proportional manner; making 90-95 degrees and extreme humidity in the range of 85-90% a near impossibility - this, however, has defied logic such as the Chicago heat wave of 1995 or instances in the middle east, such as in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (95 degree dew point).

I am planning on moving to Phoenix soon, and when I visited it was 94 degrees, while comfortable in the shade, it was still hot as hell in the direct sun. It is almost worthless to take the heat index into consideration in Phoenix, as that measures what it feels like in the shade. How often is one in the shade in Las Vegas or Phoenix in the summer, and the temperature in the sun actually adds roughly 15 degrees to the outside temperature, making 110 feel more like 125 and not 102 as the heat index might claim.

During my visit to Phoenix, I did think it was hot and locals looked at me as if I had two heads. The mid 90 degree temperatures actually were not much of an issue at all for me, but the sheer intensity of the sun and the temperature inside of my car was something I never experienced in New York, even in July. I actually thought the temperature in the shade was extremely pleasant as well as the nights.

Last edited by NytoPhx; 05-14-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
One of the differences I have noticed between dry heat and humid heat is that - for me anyway - when I get into the a/c after being outside I cool off much faster here than I did when I lived in hot/humid areas. When the dewpoints are in the 60's and 70's it is much harder to cool off no matter what the ac is set on. For me anyway...

Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 PM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
I am also skeptical of people who complain 85 and 90% humidity is worse than 115 degrees. While I agree the humidity greatly increases discomfort, it by no means accounts for 30 additional degrees of heat.
85 or 90 + 30 = 115? Nice math! lol. Why be skeptical because someone chooses 10-15 extra degress of heat over 50%-80% extra humidity?

Quote:
Many people are quick to argue that other areas of the country can be 90 and 90% humidity, but in actuality that does not exist (with the possible exception of the Persian Gulf). I regularly check wunderground.com for past data, and even in Miami, 90 and 70% humidity is exceptionally rare, which would produce a heat index of about 107, a common occurance in Phoenix. While it might get to 80 or 90% humidity and the temperature in the southeast, northeast, or midwest might be 95 in the summer, NOT AT THE SAME TIME. It might be 90% humidity and 78 degrees in the morning and then 95 and 40% humidity in the afternoon, which would not be an everyday occurence in the majority of the country, anyway.
Are you serious? Obviously you never lived in TX where all year around (day or night) it was humid (I actually lived in 2 different cities for 3 years).
Summers in Houston would be an average of 90-93 degrees with no less than 80% humidity but averaging right around 90%.
Most non-desert part of Middle East has an average of 85% + humidity unless
you are up in the mountains. Desert-like parts would have a climate very similar to AZ.
What people are quick about is to compare this State's worst months to other States best season, that doesn't make any sense to me. Why don't we compare Winter or Spring seasons of Phoenix to Chicago's or Detroit's Winter or Spring season?
If the Summers in Phoenix were 10-15 degrees cooler, the population would have been at least triple of what it is right now and that to most might be more unbarable than the 10-15 extra degrees of heat!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Many people are quick to argue that other areas of the country can be 90 and 90% humidity, but in actuality that does not exist (with the possible exception of the Persian Gulf). I regularly check wunderground.com for past data, and even in Miami, 90 and 70% humidity is exceptionally rare, which would produce a heat index of about 107, a common occurance in Phoenix. While it might get to 80 or 90% humidity and the temperature in the southeast, northeast, or midwest might be 95 in the summer, NOT AT THE SAME TIME. It might be 90% humidity and 78 degrees in the morning and then 95 and 40% humidity in the afternoon, which would not be an everyday occurence in the majority of the country, anyway. As the temperature increases the relative humidity decreases in an almost directly proportional manner; making 90-95 degrees and extreme humidity in the range of 85-90% a near impossibility - this, however, has defied logic such as the Chicago heat wave of 1995 or instances in the middle east, such as in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (95 degree dew point).

I am planning on moving to Phoenix soon, and when I visited it was 94 degrees, while comfortable in the shade, it was still hot as hell in the direct sun. It is almost worthless to take the heat index into consideration in Phoenix, as that measures what it feels like in the shade. How often is one in the shade in Las Vegas or Phoenix in the summer, and the temperature in the sun actually adds roughly 15 degrees to the outside temperature, making 110 feel more like 125 and not 102 as the heat index might claim.

During my visit to Phoenix, I did think it was hot and locals looked at me as if I had two heads. The mid 90 degree temperatures actually were not much of an issue at all for me, but the sheer intensity of the sun and the temperature inside of my car was something I never experienced in New York, even in July. I actually thought the temperature in the shade was extremely pleasant as well as the nights.
I agree with what you say. I have a question for you though. Have you ever been here when it's 110? 112? In the summer at all? Just curious if you found 90 hot in the sun and your car and haven't been here in the summer I'm afraid for you. lol

Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
85 or 90 + 30 = 115? Nice math! lol. Why be skeptical because someone chooses 10-15 extra degress of heat over 50%-80% extra humidity?

Are you serious? Obviously you never lived in TX where all year around (day or night) it was humid (I actually lived in 2 different cities for 3 years).
Summers in Houston would be an average of 90-93 degrees with no less than 80% humidity but averaging right around 90%.
Most non-desert part of Middle East has an average of 85% + humidity unless
you are up in the mountains. Desert-like parts would have a climate very similar to AZ.
What people are quick about is to compare this State's worst months to other States best season, that doesn't make any sense to me. Why don't we compare Winter or Spring seasons of Phoenix to Chicago's or Detroit's Winter or Spring season?
If the Summers in Phoenix were 10-15 degrees cooler, the population would have been at least triple of what it is right now and that to most might be more unbarable than the 10-15 extra degrees of heat!
I think you'll find in my post up there by steve-o's I did just that. Our summer is too long, like winter is too long up north. I think your right about that, we all have our miserable season except for southern Cal. Stinkers! And for the record, and I've said this before too, Arizona is hell in the summer but Satan was born and raised in Houston! The only place I wouldn't move out of Arizona for would be Texas. That is a given. lol

Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 AM

609 posts, read 2,118,114 times
Austin, TX Current Weather

MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY - Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s.
Relative Humidity: 90%

Quote:

Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Austin, TX Current Weather

MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY - Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s.
Relative Humidity: 90%
Right, I am not arguing that it won't be 90% humidity or 90 degrees. However, not at the same time, and I'm sure Steve-O would attest. Show me a snapshot from weather.com, when the two numbers coexist.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 AM

According to a heat index calculator, by the way, 90 degrees and 90% humidity would produce a heat index of 122. I highly doubt that is the heat index this time of year. While it might happen once every year or so, that would lead to a significant number of deaths and be national news. Heat indices of 105-110 are certainly possible, maybe even 115, but 122 and in mid-May, I am skeptical. If you can show me proof then I would believe it. I just feel people exaggerate the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area