Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,000 times

Advertisements

Our two sons will be attending ASU. We are looking into buying a small condo for them to live in for several years while attending. They will have a car and pretty much are into quieter activities like restaurants and movies. Well one loves to fish, but I guess Arizona isn’t the place for that! Looking for areas in the greater Phoenix area that we can start looking into. Safety is a concern. Budget no more than 300K. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 12:53 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
You'll probably have to look into one of the slightly older condo complex like Questa Vida or Papago Park Village 1 & 2 (different locations). There's dozens of others, maybe figure out if you'd rather locate it East, West, North or South of campus, close to light rail, etc. In general the area West of campus around Hardy is probably most affordable.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:40 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
No fishing in the desert? Quite the contrary.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:02 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
No fishing in the desert? Quite the contrary.
Correct. https://azstateparks.com/fishing-in-arizona

Old 10-03-2021, 02:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You'll probably have to look into one of the slightly older condo complex like Questa Vida or Papago Park Village 1 & 2 (different locations). There's dozens of others, maybe figure out if you'd rather locate it East, West, North or South of campus, close to light rail, etc. In general the area West of campus around Hardy is probably most affordable.
^^^ This is true.... and will be quieter neighborhoods. Commute time less than 10 minutes to ASU Tempe Campus. There are many decent condo/townhouse complexes in the corridor between Hardy and Mill Ave and Broadway to Baseline. As to affordability...well in this market... you should still be able to find something in this area for just under 300K.

Also as others have mentioned: there is fishing everywhere in Arizona. You can even fish in some of the designated lakes in city and town parks.

https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/parks/fishing

Old 10-06-2021, 08:51 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
Well fishing? Sure maybe. Actual fishing? No, not really.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:01 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Well fishing? Sure maybe. Actual fishing? No, not really.
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree.
I do very well at both Saguaro Lake and Canyon Lake. There is a great little bay just south of the marina in Canyon that has treated me very well. Find the cover and you'll find the fish.
If you have a long weekend, there is no better fishing than Lake Powell.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
Is there a reason that you're depriving them of the unique opportunity of dormitory life, a rare chance to mix with entirely different people?

Old 10-08-2021, 09:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Is there a reason that you're depriving them of the unique opportunity of dormitory life, a rare chance to mix with entirely different people?
Agree. I did dorms at UofA. It’s a lot of things, but it was a formative experience, really being in the middle of college.

Old 10-09-2021, 12:13 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
ASU's Journalism school is one of my niece's top choices, and I believe they guarantee housing for Freshman. That program is run out of the downtown Phoenix campus, but we visited with her and the dorms were all new with private bathrooms. They also said she'd be on a floor with other Journalism students, providing a "school within a school" atmosphere that sounded appealing to her. I don't know if the situation is the same in Tempe.

We've thought about buying her a place to live with friends closer to that campus, but not until Sophomore year at least if she ends up going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area