Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 09:26 PM

717 posts, read 1,061,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoadSW7 View Post
So I would consider myself a big city person, from Dublin, maybe I missed a beat when I was in Phoenix, we stayed downtown, close to the stadium and felt the downtown area like a lot of cities I have been to here in the States (excluding NYC) was a big disappointment, well that is not fair, I came with low expectations after we contemplated Boston for our move and that was a big let down. Planning on heading back to Phoenix in a few weeks to look at schools but will be staying downtown again, where would you recommend I go to get that big city feel, I just didn't see it when we were there recetly.
I think you're confusing big city for mega city. Boston is undeniably a big city, with infinitely more culture, vibrancy, better architecture, and better public transportation than 99% of the US. If you were somehow "let down" by Boston of all places, you definitely won't find anything even remotely to your liking in metro Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 09:38 PM

18 posts, read 21,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I think you're confusing big city for mega city. Boston is undeniably a big city, with infinitely more culture, vibrancy, better architecture, and better public transportation than 99% of the US. If you were somehow "let down" by Boston of all places, you definitely won't find anything even remotely to your liking in metro Phoenix.
I had no expectations of Downtown Phoenix when I came tbh, I was just curious as to what the poster was seeing that I missed. Gilbert would be considered a town from a European point of view, but I was reasonably impressed with the place, certainly the neighbourhoods we were looking at were a reasonable distance to Old Town Scottsdale etc...

Old 10-25-2021, 09:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,297,020 times
Quote:
So I would consider myself a big city person, from Dublin, maybe I missed a beat when I was in Phoenix, we stayed downtown, close to the stadium and felt the downtown area like a lot of cities I have been to here in the States (excluding NYC) was a big disappointment, well that is not fair, I came with low expectations after we contemplated Boston for our move and that was a big let down. Planning on heading back to Phoenix in a few weeks to look at schools but will be staying downtown again, where would you recommend I go to get that big city feel, I just didn't see it when we were there recetly.
That vibe really doesn't exist in Phoenix (yet). They've made great strides the past 10 years but I think we would need another 10 years of solid growth to get what you want. Downtown is still struggling with losing their major employers to the suburbs, like I mentioned earlier in this thread, but there is still interest and growth in downtown. Phoenix really embraces suburban living with yards and swimming pools, even a block or two away from DT, it becomes very suburban in nature.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:11 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,846,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
That vibe really doesn't exist in Phoenix (yet). They've made great strides the past 10 years but I think we would need another 10 years of solid growth to get what you want. Downtown is still struggling with losing their major employers to the suburbs, like I mentioned earlier in this thread, but there is still interest and growth in downtown. Phoenix really embraces suburban living with yards and swimming pools, even a block or two away from DT, it becomes very suburban in nature.
So again if that’s the case, why be far from anything in Gilbert when you can be much closer for the same thing? What’s the point of living in a metropolitan area if you are going to be far from what made it a metro to begin with. Since you hate the West Valley so much, I even provide other East Valley options. So what is it, really?

—

Phoenix is by definition a big city, we have a lot of people and a lot of land and a lot of jobs and we are a powerful and influential city and state. Again, we offer a lot and all other things big cities offer. As a proponent of urbanism myself I’m kinda sick from hearing from people that we aren’t a big city because Sun City exists. Again we are the size of DC and bigger than Seattle in PEOPLE. And for cities, man-made for man, man is what matters, and we have quite a bit of it compared to other places. Until people start treating us like what we really are —a very populous metro— we aren’t going to be treated like that and it’s a feedback loop.

I’m sick of this conservatism thinking from the 90s—three decades ago—of what Phoenix is still applying today. We aren’t going to get any advancement if people just want to regress and not focus on progress. Think like what we really are, a big city, and we will get more of what often constitutes as things in big cities. Like more transit, more tall buildings, and more jobs.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:06 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,224,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
So again if that’s the case, why be far from anything in Gilbert when you can be much closer for the same thing?
Are you really asking? I guess I have to answer inside of a couple of sentences. Budget, safety (crime), closer to a family member or job, quality of schools, etc.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 10-26-2021 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-26-2021, 06:24 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,224,344 times
Quote:
I’m sick of this conservatism thinking from the 90s—three decades ago—of what Phoenix is still applying today. We aren’t going to get any advancement if people just want to regress and not focus on progress. Think like what we really are, a big city, and we will get more of what often constitutes as things in big cities. Like more transit, more tall buildings, and more jobs.
Seattle is 84 square miles. Washington DC is 68 square miles. MPLS 57 square miles. Do you see a trend? Phoenix proper is 517 square miles. Can you see the difference in size? PHX is diluted and should separate into 10 different cities. But, they are still pushing to get bigger. It is one reason why the downtown area feels sleepy because it is duluted (spread out).

My point: Your size comparisons in your earlier post are semi-irrelevant. Now compare PHX to other major sprawling cities like Nashville (526 square miles), or San Antonio (515 square miles), or Oklahoma City (621 square miles). They too lack a focus in their individual DT areas. It's because of s-p-r-a-w-l.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:18 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,223,097 times
Quote:

Same here, except it was London for me and get what you’re meaning. About the only place we hang out in Phoenix is around Roosevelt Row which is a walkable arts district , bars, boutiques , restaurants and lots of street art. We go to Fair Trade coffee there.

https://www.visitphoenix.com/greater...roosevelt-row/

Old 10-26-2021, 08:45 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,297,020 times
Quote:
So again if that’s the case, why be far from anything in Gilbert when you can be much closer for the same thing? What’s the point of living in a metropolitan area if you are going to be far from what made it a metro to begin with. Since you hate the West Valley so much, I even provide other East Valley options. So what is it, really?

—

Phoenix is by definition a big city, we have a lot of people and a lot of land and a lot of jobs and we are a powerful and influential city and state. Again, we offer a lot and all other things big cities offer. As a proponent of urbanism myself I’m kinda sick from hearing from people that we aren’t a big city because Sun City exists. Again we are the size of DC and bigger than Seattle in PEOPLE. And for cities, man-made for man, man is what matters, and we have quite a bit of it compared to other places. Until people start treating us like what we really are —a very populous metro— we aren’t going to be treated like that and it’s a feedback loop.

Again, this isnt a big city lifestyle here. In the Phoenix area we embrace suburban living with the garages, pools and yards -- it's what the market demands. Keep in mind most people are not like you and VN, we have significant others and children to consider. In any event, all I was doing was responding to a guy who liked Gilbert, assuring him that being a few miles closer to DT isn't such a big deal that I would alternatively live in Avondale or Laveen.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,288,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Gilbert doesn't impress me much at all. It's basically an oversized bedroom community, which is similar to Mesa in that regard, except Gilbert has better neighborhoods overall. The layout of the downtown area reminds me of Old Town Scottsdale around 1975ish. Worst of all, Gilbert has a population of over 250,000, but still calls itself a town, and their primary landmark is a water tower. It really needs to grow up and quit behaving like a hick town.

As far as downtown Phoenix being the epicenter: Prickly Pear is correct in this case. It's not only the employment we have to look at, but all the other amenities, such as sports, entertainment, museums, conventions, mass transit, etc. The majority of these things are downtown. The scheduled concerts that I have any interest in attending over the next year are all taking place in downtown venues. Tempe has a great urban vibe along & near Mill Avenue, and a good employment base, but downtown Phoenix still is the primary urban center of metro Phoenix.
Not sure how you get hick town from the million dollar homes, Teslas, MB, etc that litter this entire city. I mean, it is a bedroom community. I don't think they are trying to be something they are not. But there is a lot of money in this "town" and I definitely wouldn't call it hick anymore (maybe 15 years ago).

Old 10-26-2021, 06:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,302,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Seattle is 84 square miles. Washington DC is 68 square miles. MPLS 57 square miles. Do you see a trend? Phoenix proper is 517 square miles. Can you see the difference in size? PHX is diluted and should separate into 10 different cities. But, they are still pushing to get bigger. It is one reason why the downtown area feels sleepy because it is duluted (spread out).

My point: Your size comparisons in your earlier post are semi-irrelevant. Now compare PHX to other major sprawling cities like Nashville (526 square miles), or San Antonio (515 square miles), or Oklahoma City (621 square miles). They too lack a focus in their individual DT areas. It's because of s-p-r-a-w-l.
With the exception of San Antonio, your comparisons are to cities which are much smaller in population than Phoenix is. Houston & Dallas have active downtowns with much more majestic skylines, despite both cities being very sprawling (Houston encompassing 671 square miles, Dallas encompassing 383 square miles, and both containing roughly the same population density as Phoenix). I think you, like many others, are reaching for excuses for why the central core isn't taller & more active than it is. I definitely agree that certain parts of Phoenix don't need to be in the city limits, and should be separate communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Not sure how you get hick town from the million dollar homes, Teslas, MB, etc that litter this entire city. I mean, it is a bedroom community. I don't think they are trying to be something they are not. But there is a lot of money in this "town" and I definitely wouldn't call it hick anymore (maybe 15 years ago).
As I explained earlier: Gilbert still calls itself a "town", their landmark structure is a water tower, and their downtown area resembles Old Town Scottsdale from the '70s. Those things are small townish for a place with a population of over 250,000. I'm not saying it's a bad place to live, but at the very least, they could drop the "town of Gilbert" ID, and refer to it as a city like it should be. That would be a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area