Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 05:18 AM

342 posts, read 320,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
That’s most America
So very true!!!! Sadly. I love unique restaurants and avoid chains like the plague. Oh wait. We're in a plague. Well, like I TRY to avoid the plague.

I haven't seen Gilbert in person in 25 years. It's a potential place for my family (which includes a young teenager) to move to. Along with Chandler, Ahwatukee and Scottsdale. It sounds fine to me. It sounds like America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,276,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
If you love tract houses, Wendy's, and hyper-sized trucks it's practically Mecca.
We all know you like to complain about everything. Your misery runs strong on this forum.

However, of all the major suburbs, I have to say Gilbert probably has the most character. The historic farming culture has been intertwined with the modern amenities of an excellent, growing city. I'll admit, The Valley has a lot of bland, tract housing - no doubt about that. But Gilbert has tried hard to differentiate from the lot.

And we do have a lot of bro-dozers. We also have a lot of Teslas. Gilbert is a nice mix of people from different backgrounds. It's all good over here.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoppz28 View Post
LOL! I'm stealing this term...
It's awesome! I had to laugh.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:43 AM

65 posts, read 47,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The last time I was in gilbert I parked next to a typical ford F-650 or whatever that had confederate flag stickers plastered all over the dashboard. This was a couple weeks after the local "blue lives matter" rally had escalated to violence.
So your one incident is the entire town? I know people in NYC and Portland that see Confederate flags too. I remember seeing the Trump truck ISIS looking flags around Election Day. When i saw the drivers I got the impression they live on the real outskirts of Phoenix. Those rednecks drive around for attention and I doubt they even live in Gilbert or Southeast Mesa. A truck with a confederate flag would definitely have HOA complaints.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
So your one incident is the entire town? I know people in NYC and Portland that see Confederate flags too. I remember seeing the Trump truck ISIS looking flags around Election Day. When i saw the drivers I got the impression they live on the real outskirts of Phoenix. Those rednecks drive around for attention and I doubt they even live in Gilbert or Southeast Mesa. A truck with a confederate flag would definitely have HOA complaints.
I have seen my share of stupid trucks with stupid decorations, living in Kentucky.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I have seen my share of stupid trucks with stupid decorations, living in Kentucky.

Just because someone has a different opinion on issues, does that have to make them "stupid"?

So sick of this endless "my way or the highway" mentality poisoning every aspect of our society now a days, especially on EVERY "social media" site..its fine not to agree with someones perspectives and opinions, but that doesn't make you "smart" and the other person "stupid"

Old 10-19-2021, 12:49 PM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Those rednecks drive around for attention and I doubt they even live in Gilbert or Southeast Mesa.
Unfortunately, sometimes it's just more than a matter of attention. Late last year a friend of ours got forced out of the travel lanes by several trucks that were flying their Trump flags. They boxed her in and brought her to a complete stop on the shoulder. This was on I-17 IIRC, so not in Gilbert, but in the metro area.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:57 PM

13,783 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Unfortunately, sometimes it's just more than a matter of attention. Late last year a friend of ours got forced out of the travel lanes by several trucks that were flying their Trump flags. They boxed her in and brought her to a complete stop on the shoulder. This was on I-17 IIRC, so not in Gilbert, but in the metro area.
Why was she boxed in and forced to stop? Did she have a Biden bumper sticker on the rear end of her car?

Old 10-19-2021, 01:27 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
Quote:
I didn’t say one incident is the whole town. But I do think those incidents reflect the general character of Gilbert, which is overall very white and conservative. This is worth noting since people who value diversity and progressivism likely won’t appreciate it as much as someone who values red lobster and Facebook science. But, ideally, the more people who move there the more diversity will develop over time.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Just because someone has a different opinion on issues, does that have to make them "stupid"?

So sick of this endless "my way or the highway" mentality poisoning every aspect of our society now a days, especially on EVERY "social media" site..its fine not to agree with someones perspectives and opinions, but that doesn't make you "smart" and the other person "stupid"
Yes, I consider trucks with confederate flags, trucks with anatomically incorrect nuts hanging from the bumper, trucks with exhaust pipes that belch dark clouds of smoke and trucks covered in Trump flags to be stupid. Usually all four are on the same truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area