Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 07:41 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yeah, it's bizarre to not like the confederate flag. Going around saying people are stereotyping based on someone displaying the confederate flag is an uneducated opinion.
I don't like or dislike the confederate flag. It's just a flag - an inanimate object. I don't get offended and don't let feelings guide my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 08:11 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I don't like or dislike the confederate flag. It's just a flag - an inanimate object. I don't get offended and don't let feelings guide my life.
I assume this is said in jest since flags are, by their very nature, symbols and not just “inanimate objects.” The confederate flag has long been used as a symbol of hate, oppression, and white nationalism in much the same way the nazi flag is and historically has been used. Do you feel similarly neutral about the nazi flag?

Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The last time I was in gilbert I parked next to a typical ford F-650 or whatever that had confederate flag stickers plastered all over the dashboard. This was a couple weeks after the local "blue lives matter" rally had escalated to violence.
Much better than seeing a BLM flag.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I assume this is said in jest since flags are, by their very nature, symbols and not just “inanimate objects.” The confederate flag has long been used as a symbol of hate, oppression, and white nationalism in much the same way the nazi flag is and historically has been used. Do you feel similarly neutral about the nazi flag?
I just put it in perspective. I'm sure a Jew that survived the Holocaust would find the Nazi flag offensive because they have first-hand experience with it. Just as a slave would have the same feelings about the confederate flag. Last I checked, we don't have any plantation slaves anymore and most of the Holocaust survivors are long gone. So the fact that some old, white guy in Sun City is offended by a confederate flag is just silly. Because you know, most of these street name changes and tearing down of statues are done by white people. Do you really think the average black person really cares about this crap? My guess is no - they are just trying to get by like the rest of us. I think people are tired of this PC, cancel culture society. People are tired of being divided by race. We are all human.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:14 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,894 times
Well, if nothing else, This thread should be very eye opening for anyone who is interested in learning more about the culture and political climate of Gilbert and the Phoenix suburbs in general.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:14 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Much better than seeing a BLM flag.
Why is that? "Durr, it's just a flag. An inanimate object".

Old 10-20-2021, 09:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I was reading an article that Bloomberg published seven weeks ago citing a WalletHub study and noticed that Gilbert, Arizona ranks as the third best city in which to buy a home: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...?sref=YFRj1y3T

The rankings were determined by measuring cities on two scores: the local real estate market, which includes appreciation, as well as affordability and the economic environment, of which job growth is a part. Gilbert tanked #3 on it's real estate market and #21 (out of 300 cities) for it's affordability and economic environment.

I pulled up the whole survey and Chandler ranked in at #17 on the list, coming in 18th in real estate and 88th in affordability and economic environment: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-real-...-markets/14889

Peoria, AZ ranks #19, Surprise, AZ is #20 and Mesa, AZ is #28. Phoenix isn't far behind at #34.
I believed it until I saw Austin was near the top, what a joke!!

Old 10-20-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well, if nothing else, This thread should be very eye opening for anyone who is interested in learning more about the culture and political climate of Gilbert and the Phoenix suburbs in general.
Please elaborate. My last quote was: "People are tired of being divided by race. We are all human." Is something wrong with that?

So what does that really tell you about the culture of Gilbert? That we don't play identity politics? Ok, cool.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Just for the record, this is not the way Gilbert is at all. Gilbert is like any other upper-middle class area in the valley demographics wise, so it is very white but you don't see many if any rednecks at all. Your chances of seeing rednecks increases if you venture into the County islands which they prefer for the acreage, space for their junk and "no rules". It does lean right politically but it's not Alabama right. I have at least 15 friends I know from kids youth sports that live in Gilbert and I'd say they skew a little left or center like me, although there are a couple that are on the other side. As an independent centrist I can get along with both sides as long as they leave out the crazy. I don't live in Gilbert but there are pockets that are a bit more "Mormon" than others but not overwhelming.

As far as restaurants, again there's plenty of non chain options in Gilbert, more than most places in the valley.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:46 PM

342 posts, read 320,604 times
Quote:
Good point! Luckily, I don't believe this city-data forum is a fair representation whatsoever of the population of Phoenix or Gilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area