Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 02:04 PM

342 posts, read 319,131 times

Advertisements

I can see having a lot of garage space. But specifically those massive RV garages with the giant doors? Nope. And from the photos I've seen on Redfin and Zillow, no one is filling the walls with shelving to take advantage of the extra height, they just use the floor space and up about 10-12 feet, like in any garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 02:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
What's up with all of the RV garages in homes in Arizona? I can't believe how many new construction homes offer an RV garage, and how many homes have already been built with one. Those doors are so big and ugly, and they overwhelm the look of a house when they are visible from the road.

Do that many people have RVs in Phoenix? I had a brand new fifth-wheel once, but used it three times in the two years I owned it, so I sold it. I don't have any desire to purchase a fifth-wheel or an RV again. I realized I prefer hotels when I travel.
Yes, AZ residents do own RVs to get away from the summers, and they prefer to keep them out of the harmful UV rays. I agree that garages are detractions from home designs. Myself I prefer driveways to the back of the house were garages are not visible from the street, but that would mean deeper lots and added costs of the longer driveways, as well as less usable back yards.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:31 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Myself I prefer driveways to the back of the house were garages are not visible from the street, but that would mean deeper lots and added costs of the longer driveways, as well as less usable back yards.
Yup, I don't care for garage doors facing the street. The nicer looking setups I've seen here in the 'burbs are homes with side loading garages.

Last edited by hikernut; 10-19-2021 at 05:04 PM..

Old 10-19-2021, 04:43 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
They are pretty common in Lake Havasu as well...lots of homes are getting refurb'd with RV garages. Not sure what the ire is with folks wanting the storage space but most HOAs in the Metro area don't let you put one in unless it was part of the original design. So it may be more prevalent in developments without HOAs?

Old 10-19-2021, 05:01 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
What's up with all of the RV garages in homes in Arizona? I can't believe how many new construction homes offer an RV garage, and how many homes have already been built with one. Those doors are so big and ugly, and they overwhelm the look of a house when they are visible from the road. I saw one house in Mesa listed yesterday that has four garage doors, in three different sizes: https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Mesa/915-E.../home/26909630
Well, I prefer to travel by RV and I'd like a bigger one.

I spent months looking around for a place with an RV garage. We were outbid on the one we found. They are very popular here.

I'm considering having the roof "lifted" in our four-car garage to accommodate a 34 foot Class A. No idea what that would cost but it's probably not cheap.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I can see having a lot of garage space. But specifically those massive RV garages with the giant doors? Nope.

So don't buy one. Solved.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
They are pretty common in Lake Havasu as well...lots of homes are getting refurb'd with RV garages. Not sure what the ire is with folks wanting the storage space but most HOAs in the Metro area don't let you put one in unless it was part of the original design. So it may be more prevalent in developments without HOAs?
Oh, definitely.

We're in an area that is mixed. Our side of the street is non-HOA, the other side is HOA. I've seen several new builds nearby, not in HOAs, that have RV garages. I sigh a little every time we go by.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:21 PM

342 posts, read 319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So don't buy one. Solved.
I wish it were that easy. I should have explained better. Many of the houses for sale, and even the "ready to buy" houses in new construction, have RV garages. Or 1/2 the home designs from a builder, and all of the designs that fit onto a particular lot you're allowed to buy have RV garages. So it's kind of the thing where you love everything ELSE about a house but that, do you still go ahead and buy it? It means I'm paying extra for something I don't even want. I'd love a 4-car garage, but a 3-car with an RV garage? Nope.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:33 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
I wish it were that easy. I should have explained better. Many of the houses for sale, and even the "ready to buy" houses in new construction, have RV garages. Or 1/2 the home designs from a builder, and all of the designs that fit onto a particular lot you're allowed to buy have RV garages. So it's kind of the thing where you love everything ELSE about a house but that, do you still go ahead and buy it? It means I'm paying extra for something I don't even want. I'd love a 4-car garage, but a 3-car with an RV garage? Nope.
So buy an RV. Problem solved. If you don't have one, you need one. No one can consider themselves successful these days without a Prevost in their garage. The top Prevost goes for a couple mill. You will be wanting a garage for it.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
so buy an rv. Problem solved. If you don't have one, you need one. No one can consider themselves successful these days without a prevost in their garage. The top prevost goes for a couple mill. You will be wanting a garage for it.

lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area